Any way to better secure pins?

GrimGrinningLeota

Original Poster
I bought an awesome HM pin a week ago only to have it fall off somewhere after a week of having it on my purse. I have lost it :(. It was one that only had one attachment so I was afraid this would happen. I have another HM pin that’s the same way and now I don’t want to wear it or attach it to anything. However my BB8 pin has two pins on the back. Is there anyway to make the ones that just have one pin more secure? Or, just don’t wear those?

I’m really bummed because I loved that HM pin and now I’m afraid to wear the other one. Thoughts?

SamPR810

I once had a Stitch "Where trouble takes a brake" Pin and loved it from the second I laid eyes on it. I would wear it every trip, and when I wasn't in the parks I would stick it into the roof of my car. Well.... in comes a week long stay at the shop and out goes my beloved pin. That sucked.

My GF (who is the best btw) found another copy of that Pin, and well... you better bet that thing is rocking a locking back forever now 😄

GrimGrinningLeota

Original Poster
I got the locking pins yesterday, hopefully they work. I see that this style can bend the pin backs I guess if you screw on too tight. There is another style I see now that looks”better,” no wrench needed it just sort of pops on and locks but I’d already received these. Any other tips I should know?

Oh and it’s ok that a little bit of the black screw thing sticks out, I assume? I don’t feel I can tighten it any further and I don’t want to bend the pin

E5579844-5DE4-4926-BD6A-D31400020DC4.jpeg
490C2397-6F78-4ED2-8EF8-AF2E9D7A82E7.jpeg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I got the locking pins yesterday, hopefully they work. I see that this style can bend the pin backs I guess if you screw on too tight. There is another style I see now that looks”better,” no wrench needed it just sort of pops on and locks but I’d already received these. Any other tips I should know?

Oh and it’s ok that a little bit of the black screw thing sticks out, I assume? I don’t feel I can tighten it any further and I don’t want to bend the pin

View attachment 450751View attachment 450752
It is OK that the set screw sticks out.

You do have to be a little careful when tightening the screw as to not over-tighten it. If you are using a standard Allen key, put the long side in the set screw and hold the short end. This will reduce the amount of torque you can apply to the screw. If you want to get really careful, a very tiny drop of thread locker blue or Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate will keep the set screw from backing out.

I have seen the toolless locking clips, but I have never used them so I don't know how well they hold. I would think they would hold better than the rubber backs, but maybe not as well as the set screw backs. "Not as well" might be more than enough though.

Personally, I would use the backs with the set screws on pins I had no intention of trading or removing, and the toolless backs for ones I want to trade.

NelleBelle

I know part of the appeal is the mickey-shaped pin holder, but these little babies are really good at holding pins in place, and don't slip off unless you want them to.
As for the “Mickey-shaped” backs, I would definitely keep them in a little baggie/container that you could put back on the pin if you are trading, just in case the person you are trading pins with prefers the Mickey back (you never know—they may want it with there pin). Have fun wearing your pins securely now!!!

GrimGrinningLeota

Original Poster
As for the “Mickey-shaped” backs, I would definitely keep them in a little baggie/container that you could put back on the pin if you are trading, just in case the person you are trading pins with prefers the Mickey back (you never know—they may want it with there pin). Have fun wearing your pins securely now!!!

Yep I’m keeping the original backs, and thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom