Will Leave a Legacy Return

psuchad

Original Poster
The Leave a Legacy etchings have been gone since August of 2019. At the time, Disney said that they would be relocated. Since then, there have been no updates. With all the construction at the front of the park, there hasn't been a hint of where the etchings will be relocated to. At this point, I am beginning to think that Disney is counting customer complaints or the lack thereof. If nobody is complaining, maybe they can get away with not reinstalling them. If they were worried about a breach of contract complaints at all, the tiles could have been mounted on temporary construction walls.

I want to stress, that I am not arguing the merits of Leave a Legacy or demanding Disney do anything. My wife and I purchased a tile in 2006 and we long ago assumed we would never see the tile installed. In 33 days return to WDW for the first time with my kids and it would have been nice to show them our tile. Luckily, I was able to enter Epcot during a business trip for a couple of hours the day before my tile was enclosed in construction walls back in August and take a picture of the tile.

Weather_Lady

All that I've seen announced is that it will be someplace just outside the "gateway" to the park. There's been no timeline given for the new display other than "in 2020," which in Disney-speak means, "during some year that starts with 20__, which may be 2020, or may be some year considerably later." Of course, if they risk breaching their contracts by delaying (I have no idea what the contracts said, or what rights, if any, they gave to purchasers), you can expect it will be sooner rather than later.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
They are contractually obligated to display them somewhere. We have three tiles. I wish I had kept the initial literature on them when we got them. It outlined the provisions for display.

psuchad

Original Poster
They are contractually obligated to display them somewhere. We have three tiles. I wish I had kept the initial literature on them when we got them. It outlined the provisions for display.

I also do not know where my contract is. I am curious as to how it was worded for lengthy unavailability. Disney could very well be doing the math on how many people could be affected and may give a refund on a case by case basis. Just my thoughts.

Mike730

@wdwmagic Any rumblings on an Epcot bus station redesign? With the drainage project now completed to the west, it seems like they're preparing for something, like new resorts over there. I would assume a switch to the parallel bus stops like at the other parks could open up even more space. Since they said they're bringing LaL back outside the park, maybe it fits in to a larger project. Or maybe I'm looking for conspiracy theories.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I also do not know where my contract is. I am curious as to how it was worded for lengthy unavailability. Disney could very well be doing the math on how many people could be affected and may give a refund on a case by case basis. Just my thoughts.

I found this on a message board that is from the application for a picture...

"As the WALT DISNEY WORLD(R) resort is ever-changing, the Guest agrees that the Image and Image Location may be replaced or relocated within the WALT DISNEY WORLD(R) Resort and that if the Image is relocated, it may be displayed in a different manner on a different medium than that present at the original Image Location. Access to the Image Location may be restricted or temporarily closed without liability to the Guest."

"that the image and/or sculpture may be replaced or relocated within Walt Disney World at any time, and that the image may be permanently removed on or after the twentieth anniversary of its installation."

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I found this on a message board that is from the application for a picture...

"As the WALT DISNEY WORLD(R) resort is ever-changing, the Guest agrees that the Image and Image Location may be replaced or relocated within the WALT DISNEY WORLD(R) Resort and that if the Image is relocated, it may be displayed in a different manner on a different medium than that present at the original Image Location. Access to the Image Location may be restricted or temporarily closed without liability to the Guest."

"that the image and/or sculpture may be replaced or relocated within Walt Disney World at any time, and that the image may be permanently removed on or after the twentieth anniversary of its installation."
Displayed in a different manner. My guess is they will have a computer terminal in guest relations that may rotate through the images. I dont see them putting them back in a physical display.

nickys

Premium Member
Displayed in a different manner. My guess is they will have a computer terminal in guest relations that may rotate through the images. I dont see them putting them back in a physical display.

I would hope there would be a search facility, or the lines are going to be very long. Mind you, I hope it works better than the one at Arlington.

The initial announcement did imply they would be displayed in the traditional sense of the word. But we all know that announced plans can change.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Please God no. I'm ok if people want to look them up in a database somewhere but the "graveyard" leaving the main entrance plaza to EPCOT is the best thing in years.

Minthorne

I predict they will be on the light poles on the walk way to GF. I also predict that bell bottoms and Cabbage Patch Kids will be making a comeback.

ppete1975

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Although i was one of the loud majority that wanted them gone, and love the view now that they are. It begs the question.. where are the monoliths? will they be redisplayed somewhere? were they removed in one piece, or broken apart?

ImperfectPixie

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Although i was one of the loud majority that wanted them gone, and love the view now that they are. It begs the question.. where are the monoliths? will they be redisplayed somewhere? were they removed in one piece, or broken apart?
The monoliths themselves were never planned to return. The idea was that a new means of displaying the picture tiles (also newly made) would be employed.

ppete1975

The monoliths themselves were never planned to return. The idea was that a new means of displaying the picture tiles (also newly made) would be employed.
thanks i knew they had the option of returning them in a different manner, just wasnt sure if they had decided to go that route... i really wonder if they just do an led ribbon display with names or a computer terminal. I just dont see them doing anything costly, and you have to be careful it doesnt look like a memorial, thats why so many places use bricks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The pictures were removed and the monoliths scrapped, we could see that in the construction pictures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom