1st Trip-Nervous about April crowds

LaurenNYC

Hi! We are going on our first trip the week following Easter (week of April 12th). Two boys, one is almost 7 and the other 4.5. Staying at Poly, in one of the Deluxe Studio villas I’m becoming a little obsessive about reading as much as possible and everything I’m reading warns about the massive April crowds. It’s making me so anxious! Is it going to be just miserable? I’ve decided to really splurge and it will be such a bummer if the crowds make the park miserable, the pool unusable and I can’t even get one drink at the cool Poly bar. Does anyone have any insight? (Good or bad!)
Thanks!!

Smiley/OCD

As many have said on here, there really ISN'T any "slower time" anymore...that said, when our kids were in school (before college), that was our favorite time to go...our schools in NJ were off the week after Easter, and while it can be hot, the temps are manageable. It sometimes gets cool at night and the buses always seem to have the A/C cranked, so if you do go, at the very least, a fleece jacket and/or sweatshirt is a must. You will have a great time!!!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Sure the crowds will make it more challenging but if youve planned well you can still have an exceptional time. Our first trips were during the years when there were slow seasons so for us the crowds we encounter now really are more noticeable. Disney trips require patience and a good strategy on approaching the parks. If you can get to the parks early you still can get a lot done before the worst crowding happens. The business of the resort wont be as much an issue as the parks. Youll still enjoy the pools, beach and bar drinks. Weve been during some heavily crowded times and still came away happy and successful in all we were able to do. Go in positive, enjoy all the great experiences Disney has to offer and youll be amazed at how well it goes.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
When you start having a negative attitued towards it you're always going to end up having a miserable trip.
Yes its busy the week before and after Easter Sunday but shouldn't you have known that prior to booking?
I mean you always have to think that if its a holiday its gonna be a bit busier.
Its nothing compared to Christmas/NYE so at least be happy about that lol.
Go in prepared for crowds and be delighted that its not as bad as you worked it up to be.

Upvote 0

LaurenNYC

Original Poster
When you start having a negative attitued towards it you're always going to end up having a miserable trip.
Yes its busy the week before and after Easter Sunday but shouldn't you have known that prior to booking?
I mean you always have to think that if its a holiday its gonna be a bit busier.
Its nothing compared to Christmas/NYE so at least be happy about that lol.
Go in prepared for crowds and be delighted that its not as bad as you worked it up to be.
I just meant that reading stuff like “highest crowds” was making me nervous and I don’t have a good concept as to what exactly that means at Disney because I haven’t been to Disney in 25 years. So i was curious if it’s “you can’t enjoy much because its wall to wall people” craziness or simply “yeah it’s crowded and you have to plan well but there will be room at the pool!” I’m not actually gonna be gloom and doom in advance or throughout the trip! But I am a New Yorker so by law i am a bit neurotic. And no, I wasn’t steeped in hardcore crowd level analysis before booking—I picked that week last month because my kids are off and I thought that with spring breaks across the country a bit spread out (based on my spring break schedule as a kid), it would hopefully be okay.
I appreciate the input but the finger wagging, not as much, lol. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

I love going around Easter. It is more crowded, but the parks, MK and AK especially, are stay open much later and open at 7 am. I suspect DH will this year too

We would go at open, stay until about 11, when it starts getting really crowded and then come back around 6. We saved our fast passes until the evening. Cinderella’s carriage will be at MK for photopass opportunities.

We never had problems finding space at pool or pool bar and we visit pool daily.

Visit GF and the Epcot resorts for the egg displays. The chefs make wonderful holiday decorations.

Upvote 0

BuckyMom

I agree with @Much-Pixie-Dust. We've done multiple holidays including your week. Go easy, plan as best you can, take breaks from the parks. My biggest advice, get a sit down ADR each day. It's a great break in the air off your feet. Enjoy the people watching, have a great time.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

I have told people that Disney has become a competitive sport.
With that said, there are some strategies that I think will help you that I learned by experienced people on this blog and others.
Absolutely get up early as much as possible, rope drop (be there a little before opening) each park you are going to and use your fast passes after. We rope drop, get in at least double the rides we would have going later in the day, in the first 2-3 hours. Then have your fast passes maybe 11, 12, and 1.
Head back for that pool time, chill and head back out again later in the evening.
Eat at off times, early/late lunch, dinner etc. And as in the post above, I do agree a sit down (or table service meal) each day gives all time to decompress.
We have been blessed with many trips to Disney, and I have occasionally still over scheduled us, leading to irritable exchanges in the family! 🤣

Upvote 0

Eamethyst

Hi! We are going on our first trip the week following Easter (week of April 12th). Two boys, one is almost 7 and the other 4.5. Staying at Poly, in one of the Deluxe Studio villas I’m becoming a little obsessive about reading as much as possible and everything I’m reading warns about the massive April crowds. It’s making me so anxious! Is it going to be just miserable? I’ve decided to really splurge and it will be such a bummer if the crowds make the park miserable, the pool unusable and I can’t even get one drink at the cool Poly bar. Does anyone have any insight? (Good or bad!)
Thanks!!
Disney is busier during the Christmas season. Disney see more guests then any other time. April will be busy because of spring. Disney will be a little slower because you are going the second week of April. Most people visit during spring break and for easter. Try not to be anxious. Stop reading everything. That will make you more anxious. Ha ha. Make sure you order your tickets if you haven't all ready. If you want to dine at any of the Disney restaurants located at the hotels, resorts, etc make the reservations asap. Go onto your Disney account and go to dinning. You can also reserve 3 fast passes a day for the attractions and rides through your Disney account. Do that right away. I believe you can do that up to 60 days in advance if not then its 30 days. You are allowed to bring a backpack, etc into the parks. You can bring food, beverages in with you. beverages have to be in plastic. No alcohol is allowed in.Pack lots of snacks. you will want them. Ice cubes are not allowed in anymore but ice packs are. Bring sunscreen because you will be out all day. It may not feel hot to you but the sun beats down on you. If you have a vehicle there are several grocery stores in the area. There is a Super Walmart within 5 miles from Disney. We have Aldi's, Publix, Super Target for grocery stores. Disney springs is full of restaurants, retail shopping. Make a reservation at one of the restaurants at Disney Springs ahead of time. There is the RainForest cafe at Disney Springs and Animal Kingdom. There is a restaurant called T-Rex. Disney Springs is directly across from Typhoon Lagoon.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom