News New 'Capture Your Moment' service allows you to book an in-park PhotoPass session at the Magic Kingdom

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Slightly off topic, but when you have MM, you can get a photoshoot at Disney Springs, and it's included with your purchase! We had no idea when we stumbled upon it on our daughter's first trip:

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_DTDMEMR_20161204_7882575666.jpeg

It was fine - one outfit, one backdrop, probably a dozen pictures.

Fast forward two years, and we went back, and we were able to do costume changes, 5-6 backgrounds (including backdrops themed to different properties), and almost 100 different pictures:

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_VIRTSTUDIO_20181111_414398411420.jpg

So it isn't in the parks, but it is included in your purchase. Highly recommend this perk that it seems nobody knows about!

dreamfinder

50 and you can't even print? Soon it'll be cheaper to hire a photographer outside and pay his entrance ticket.

There are some people that already do this, if you poke around the wedding threads, you will see some. One couple I saw hired someone for their proposal, then again for their wedding, and still hires them for periodic photo sessions in/around the parks. It gets a smidge dicey though, some locals won't do this as they don't want to risk being allowed to do weddings as apparently Disney might ban you from the parks for providing paid services without their prior approval.

Jon81uk

50 and you can't even print? Soon it'll be cheaper to hire a photographer outside and pay his entrance ticket.
That's against the terms of entry and if Disney find professional photographers in the park they do ask them to leave and ban them from property.

Given an external photographer will be much more expensive, once you add the $159 cost for memory maker, this doesn't seem too awful.

dan8302

I have seen similar prices for pro photographers to do "mini sessions" at Christmas tree farms for card pictures. Similar that they do not include prints, or may include a few digital copies. To get a dedicated person that can help clear to space and help you get that perfect shot of the family, well worth $50.

drizgirl

I have seen similar prices for pro photographers to do "mini sessions" at Christmas tree farms for card pictures. Similar that they do not include prints, or may include a few digital copies. To get a dedicated person that can help clear to space and help you get that perfect shot of the family, well worth $50.
Anybody expecting a Photopass Photographer to be able to clear space will likely be disappointed.

Hank Hill

The Game Day photo service at ESPN is over $100 and they are there for about 20 minutes. But you get to download the photos. And they were able to get pics I wouldn't have been able to get from the stands. So this isn't so bad, unless it comes at the cost of less photo pass stops already there, which I think will be the case.

I was on a cruise a few years ago and they still did the print pics and you go and purchase them that all cruise lines do. Seemed odd they didn't have a memory maker type option. Have they changed that?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The Game Day photo service at ESPN is over $100 and they are there for about 20 minutes. But you get to download the photos. And they were able to get pics I wouldn't have been able to get from the stands. So this isn't so bad, unless it comes at the cost of less photo pass stops already there, which I think will be the case.

I was on a cruise a few years ago and they still did the print pics and you go and purchase them that all cruise lines do. Seemed odd they didn't have a memory maker type option. Have they changed that?

There is a memory maker-type option on DCL now, yes. Not really worth the price unless you have young kids doing a lot of M&Gs and/or you are having your picture taken all the time on the ship, in our opinion.

PeoplemoverTTA

That's against the terms of entry and if Disney find professional photographers in the park they do ask them to leave and ban them from property.

Given an external photographer will be much more expensive, once you add the $159 cost for memory maker, this doesn't seem too awful.

We had 3 hours of our wedding photographer (including our wedding and trips to the monorail resorts) for a little over $300, including DVDs with all the images. He was excellent, and I would consider hiring him to go into the parks with us (as others have reported, I know some families have hired him for this). The quality of images isn't anywhere near, sadly, most of the Photopass pictures we received on our last trip. I am a big proponent of Memory Maker, but during our Christmas trip we struggled to find Photopass photographers at multiple times, and the images we received were really, really poor quality (many tilted, not centered images that were really just bad). It's the first time I felt like we didn't get our money's worth. I don't know that it's a downward trend, but it was definitely not the best MM experience for us.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
There are some people that already do this, if you poke around the wedding threads, you will see some. One couple I saw hired someone for their proposal, then again for their wedding, and still hires them for periodic photo sessions in/around the parks. It gets a smidge dicey though, some locals won't do this as they don't want to risk being allowed to do weddings as apparently Disney might ban you from the parks for providing paid services without their prior approval.
Yeah, but most people aren't paying $125 to get into the wedding venue...

Wait...

Never mind.

wdwcastwannabe

It's easy to pile on when they announce stuff that costs money, but honestly this is way better value than the photographer offerings during my honeymoon in Jamaica and would consider doing this in the future, even if the park may be busy.

Hank Hill

There is a memory maker-type option on DCL now, yes. Not really worth the price unless you have young kids doing a lot of M&Gs and/or you are having your picture taken all the time on the ship, in our opinion.
Thanks. Seemed like such a waste to print all those pictures and then have to go look for them. Also made Disney seem like any other cruise line rather than something special. Same with all the product pushed on you during the cruise. Not that I didn't enjoy the cruise, just was expecting a little different.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
It's a money grab but not any more than $99/head to eat a few treats and watch some fireworks from a roped off area surrounded by people who paid nothing. People will pay to save time.

The market for proposals, anniversaries, sweet 16s, etc is worth Disney tapping into. People will also pay, within reason, for something more set-up than hoping to grab a random photographer.

And the price isnt bad. Good luck finding a photographer to come to the park for $50. But the pricing is weird, you'd think they could upsell more easily do something like 20 mimutes $50, 40 minutes $80.

Unless they instruct CMs to stop taking free photos, this fits a need without taking anything away from others.

Jon81uk

Sorry, but I have trouble envisioning a "need" to pay someone $50 or $100 to take photos of my family that I'll have to pay even more to download and print.
Many people already are happy to pay the $159 for all the photos from their trip as they go to character meets etc. This is an add-on to that really.

twall0415

DCL uses a third party photo provider on their ships. I don't think they print out all the pictures anymore. They are all digitally tied to your room card. They do sell a few different packages. 15, 20, 30 and unlimited but they are very pricey. You can either get them digitally or in print. It was funny that the print package was cheaper than the digital package.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom