Do you think the Disney vlogger/YouTuber world has any real influence on company decisions?

mbroschak

Original Poster
Being back in the magic today, I wonder if any decisions Disney makes is directly influenced by all of the hyper-observational, hyper-critical super fan base that exists... Given the fact that many a youtuber have noticed the 4 point tile mosaic on the new bathrooms at EPCOT that reference the garbage cans... Do you think these add ons are more based on company directives and imagineers/artists or do you think that super fans play any role in some of these pluses these days to not disappoint?

Benjamin_Nicholas

I think Disney might laugh a bit at the insane minutiae that they cover. It's clear when bloggers are hurting for content ;)

I've tried watching some of the more popular youtube vloggers and it's almost painful at how insincere they come across. Clearly, I'm in the minority because they continue to have huge audiences. I'm just not buying what they're selling.

Animaniac93-98

Being back in the magic today, I wonder if any decisions Disney makes is directly influenced by all of the hyper-observational, hyper-critical super fan base that exists... Given the fact that many a youtuber have noticed the 4 point tile mosaic on the new bathrooms at EPCOT that reference the garbage cans... Do you think these add ons are more based on company directives and imagineers/artists or do you think that super fans play any role in some of these pluses these days to not disappoint?

Disney (and other companies) cares deeply about influencers who can shape online opinion and market the product at little to no cost to them. Their specific opinions aren't scrutinized, as long as they say positive things, they don't care.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think Disney absolutely makes decisions taking into consideration Vloggers. It could be for many reasons. Maybe a Vlogger exploits a safety/security issue. Or more likely Disney uses the distribution channel made available by the Vlogger to promote to, educate, or otherwise give incentive to said distribution channel to behave in a certain way.

Do I think John Vlogger complaining about about the price of a cupcake or the parking fee is going to impact Disney policy? No.

M:SpilotISTC12

The only thing the Vloggers make me want to do is move to Orlando, get an AP and just go every day. But alas I watch them just to get my much cheaper fix.

NickPytlinski

i'd say so yes.
most them just copy each others content anyway and just put a different spin on it.

but i'd say they have marketing and imagineering departments that watch the park vloggers and forums everyday

erasure fan1

I think the influencers play a small roll in their decision making. They are a good source to gauge responce to certain things they want to do. I truly believe Disney will leak things specifically to see the response from the influencers and their followers. Of course the decisions that they influence are pretty basic. Things like types of food, maybe some merch... they can have some sway. But if Disney wants to jack up prices, close a ride... Disney is going to be Disney and do whatever they want. I think the number one thing with Disney and influencers is cheap advertising.

The_Jobu

Isn't this backwards?

Disney implements decisions and then the vloggers praise the decisions to maintain their access.

Edit: No hate intended towards vloggers, I get how things work and dont begrudge them. I watch Nate (Mr. Morrow) and Jackie (Super Enthused) all the time.

JIMINYCR

Because there are so many different ones now that are able to reach out to so many interested Disney fans and because of the interest they build, the free advertising Disney gleans off of what they produce, Disney must continually observe the content thats being released. But I dont think they have much influence or sway on the decision making process. Disney probably looks at them as they would any media types who report but they arent valued or respected enough to make them stand up and take notice.

erasure fan1

Isn't this backwards?

Disney implements decisions and then the vloggers praise the decisions to maintain their access.
That is why most Disney vloggers should be watched with a big dose of skepticism. One of my favorite things is watching them try something they really don't like. You can always tell they hate it and want to say so, but they just can't. So it comes out, "not bad, it wasn't what I expected, very unique!" Lol

erasure fan1

Disney probably looks at them as they would any media types who report but they arent valued or respected enough to make them stand up and take notice.
The vloggers, no, not at all. The follwers on the other hand, is the pulse they will notice. It gives them a tool to gauge different things. Nothing super important but things like what people liked about a special event, a cupcake flavor... if enough people are commenting they do seem to make adjustments. Just not anything to do with prices. Lol

JIMINYCR

The vloggers, no, not at all. The follwers on the other hand, is the pulse they will notice. It gives them a tool to gauge different things. Nothing super important but things like what people liked about a special event, a cupcake flavor... if enough people are commenting they do seem to make adjustments. Just not anything to do with prices. Lol
Maybe Disney can be influenced about something as insignificant as a cupcake flavor. But dont be fooled into thinlking anything significant gets changed by the followers of any vlogger. Look at the furor that came about at other times when beloved attractions were taken away from us. People sent petitions, went to the media, wrote letters and took other types of actions to inform Disney of what they wanted done. The end result?? Nothing. They run the entire operation based on what they feel is best for their interest and in ways they think will produce better earnings. They get paid to think and act. We get ignored.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think they have a major influence: I think they run cover for every move Disney makes are Disney all but calls them and tells them what to shoot through their elaborate PR spin machine.

But I’m like Jon Snow: I know nothing

ABQ

They wouldn't have repainted that darn wall if they didn't think social media meant much to them.

Boggles my mind why so many want a picture at that wall, but I'm only photogenic in complete darkness.

ABQ

I think they have a major influence: I think they run cover for every move Disney makes are Disney all but calls them and tells them what to shoot through their elaborate PR spin machine.

But I’m like Jon Snow: I know nothing
Somehow though, they still invite reps from The Dis to media events even after Pete Werner has gone on some epic, scathing rants. His criticism of the Grand Floridian is legendary, imho. So while I think the small operation vlogs, the one and two person ones, may certainly just follow WDW's lead, some do not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom