Do room types really sell out?

go_gata07

Original Poster
Hi guys, long time lurker of the boards here!

I was looking to stay at POR Feb 28 - Mar 2 for three nights. Yesterday, I was eyeing the standard view room with the fifth sleeper for an average of $276 a night plus tax. But I go to check again today and it says that room is unavailable, with the next cheapest option being the pool view for $289 plus tax.

Is it really possible that they sold out of the standard fifth sleeper rooms overnight? I know I'm booking close (for Disney), but I would be surprised if it really sold out overnight. It doesn't seem worth it to pay $13 extra a night for a view we don't care about.

thanks!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We're going Feb 26-27 and the crowd levels are not low. AoA rooms haven't been available for months now in the LM section.

So yes, totally possible they sold out of that room level. It's not looking like a slow time to visit.

DisneyJoe

I was looking to stay at POR Feb 28 - Mar 2 for three nights. Yesterday, I was eyeing the standard view room with the fifth sleeper for an average of $276 a night plus tax. But I go to check again today and it says that room is unavailable, with the next cheapest option being the pool view for $289 plus tax.

Is it really possible that they sold out of the standard fifth sleeper rooms overnight? I know I'm booking close (for Disney), but I would be surprised if it really sold out overnight. It doesn't seem worth it to pay $13 extra a night for a view we don't care about.

thanks!
People will sometimes price a room and put it on hold (either online or via phone) and that holds it for a few days for them to make a deposit. Those on Expedia and other sites can do this too - so yes, inventory can change overnight - but it can free up just as easily, when those rooms on hold aren't deposited.

OR a large group or family decided to travel then and took a block of rooms.

go_gata07

Original Poster
We're going Feb 26-27 and the crowd levels are not low. AoA rooms haven't been available for months now in the LM section.

So yes, totally possible they sold out of that room level. It's not looking like a slow time to visit.

Well that’s disappointing. I was looking for a time to coordinate between my college breaks and my siblings’ school breaks. Was hoping this early in March would avoid most K-12 school breaks.

This is my first time planning a trip in years...things are so different now!
People will sometimes price a room and put it on hold (either online or via phone) and that holds it for a few days for them to make a deposit. Those on Expedia and other sites can do this too - so yes, inventory can change overnight - but it can free up just as easily, when those rooms on hold aren't deposited.

OR a large group or family decided to travel then and took a block of rooms.

This gives me some hope... guess I’ll just stay vigilant.

BoarderPhreak

It sure is; it can change daily. An extreme case; we tried extending our vacation after Thanksgiving week and literally everything on property was sold out save for a few at Boardwalk Inn and a few at Grand Floridian. We were lucky to snag one of the former and keep the fun going.

JIMINYCR

Must be very difficult to be on the job of keeping up with the reservation changes that come in. Lots of reasons why trips get cancelled or dates changed. Illness, lack of funds, accidents, deaths, bad planning, job change or loss, medical emergencies, on and on and on. Check every day and something may pop up when you are trying.

DANDAMAN1

thanks!

Not sure how you're booking. But I did a ROOM ONLY reservation for one of those pools view rooms, cause only ones that we're available. Then I went on the next day and saw the standard room available. I was able to modify. So you can book the room. Then keep checking for cheaper room, then modify. I saved an additional $168 by modifiying. Only thing is the deposit I paid was for the water side room. So when I modified it, there was not charge and no refund. Just a change to my balance due. Hope this helps.

psuchad

Room availability changes by the second. I went against all the advice I found and booked a room-only reservation for my upcoming trip before the package discounts were released. My resort/room selection sold out before the packages came out. I was able to call Disney and they canceled my reservation and rebooked using the discount.

The cast member was very clear that it could end badly since my old reservation would be available for anyone to grab as soon as she canceled it. Sure enough, I kept refreshing my browser on the resort availability page and my room suddenly appeared and then five seconds later disappeared.

For those that don't understand, you cannot modify a room only to a package. I am guessing it is because room-only is purchased through the resort and packages are through Disney. Probably treated differently for taxes and regulations. To modify to a package, you have to either double book then cancel the old one or in my case cancel the original and try to grab it back before someone else does.

DANDAMAN1

Room availability changes by the second. I went against all the advice I found and booked a room-only reservation for my upcoming trip before the package discounts were released. My resort/room selection sold out before the packages came out. I was able to call Disney and they canceled my reservation and rebooked using the discount.

The cast member was very clear that it could end badly since my old reservation would be available for anyone to grab as soon as she canceled it. Sure enough, I kept refreshing my browser on the resort availability page and my room suddenly appeared and then five seconds later disappeared.

For those that don't understand, you cannot modify a room only to a package. I am guessing it is because room-only is purchased through the resort and packages are through Disney. Probably treated differently for taxes and regulations. To modify to a package, you have to either double book then cancel the old one or in my case cancel the original and try to grab it back before someone else does.
The rules are different for Room-Only vs Package. Packages have to be canceled 30 prior to check in and need to be paid off by then. Something like that. Room-Only can be canceled up to 3 days before check in and don't need to paid till check in. BUT...

Not sure if you know. If you have a ROOM-ONLY reservation. You can link tickets bought from discount sites or Disney. If this is linked and added to your MDE. You will STILL get 60 day fast pass reservations. No real benefit to get package other than convenience of all in one package and online payments. Room only reservation payments need to be paid on the phone.

GinaD613

The rules are different for Room-Only vs Package. Packages have to be canceled 30 prior to check in and need to be paid off by then. Something like that. Room-Only can be canceled up to 3 days before check in and don't need to paid till check in. BUT...

Not sure if you know. If you have a ROOM-ONLY reservation. You can link tickets bought from discount sites or Disney. If this is linked and added to your MDE. You will STILL get 60 day fast pass reservations. No real benefit to get package other than convenience of all in one package and online payments. Room only reservation payments need to be paid on the phone.
You can’t add a Disney dining plan to room only booked through Expedia.

dreamfinder

Yes, they do sell out. There are only so many of each room type, and at some point they can sell out. Book whats available, and then keep trying for what you really want.

Now alternatively, WDW does seem to hold back on rooms as it gets busier if you are trying to book a short stay. You may be see nothing available for a 4 night stay, but if you change it to a 6 night stay, suddenly availability opens up. So as a PP suggested, try booking a longer stay, and then call and have them modify the dates to make it shorter.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1. If you see a room only deal that you *might* use... grab it immediately. You can always change it at no penalty (up to a week before).

2. Check with travel agents that specialize in booking Disney rooms. They often book blocks of rooms and are reselling them. So, they might have availability even if the Disney site doesn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom