Are the Dining Plans worth it for people who don't drink alcohol

Jack Straw from Wichita

Original Poster
We're planning our first trip to Disney World since 2009. A lot has changed in ten years! I noticed that all of the dining plans now include alcoholic drinks for guests who are over 21 years old. None of us drink. Are the dining plans cost-effective for non-drinkers? I assume that alcoholic drinks are priced into what you pay for the plan. Thanks!

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We always take the Disney Dining Plan, so what I’m about to say may sound odd..... the dining plan is not worth it Financially whether you drink or not. The only plus for the DDP is convenience. It’s convenient for me to have my meals
paid for before I set foot on property(excluding tip.). We often bring some snacks home because we are full while we are there. I eat and/ or spend more on food than I need or normally would, because it is already paid for and because I want a character meal and not have to wait in line. I could eat and spend less if it was out of pocket and wouldn’t be worse for wear. Disney food is generally overpriced and not necessarily the highest quality example of the dish you ordered. But it sure is conveniently located and I don’t leave the Parks with anything but memories. The bill has already been paid. Just one persons thoughts.

Jack Straw from Wichita

Original Poster
Thank you. I just went on the dining section of WDW's website, looked at some menus and experienced sticker shock. I can see the benefit of having your food paid for ahead of time and knowing your what budget will be rather than stressing over prices while you are there.

Club Cooloholic

Worth it, sure but as worth it as the guy drinking wine next to you, nope, he is coming out ahead.
I will be honest I have done both ddp and non ddp. I never really missed the DDP because even if you prepay you will find yourself doing a different kind of calculation, seeing if you are saving any money and then that will influence what you order etc.
I say get it if you plan to eat steak and buffets for all your sit down meals and LOVE snacks go for it, but otherwise skip it.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

We're planning our first trip to Disney World since 2009. A lot has changed in ten years! I noticed that all of the dining plans now include alcoholic drinks for guests who are over 21 years old. None of us drink. Are the dining plans cost-effective for non-drinkers? I assume that alcoholic drinks are priced into what you pay for the plan. Thanks!
We get the DDP and we do get the specialty and alcoholic drinks and that is mainly why we save using it. For instance, the dining plan costs us $186.36/day for 2 adults and 1 child. I usually budget $30/day for the 2 snacks and lunches (without alcoholic drinks), so that is $90. Dinners vary, but I am going to use Jungle Canteen, $49/per adult (without alcohol or a specialty drink) and $13 for the kid meal, which is $115 (with tax). This all adds up to $205. Alcohol cost at least $10/person or a specialty drink around $6/person at Jungle Canteen, so that would add an additional $26. You really make out at character buffets. When I went to Storybook Dining at Artist's Point with my brother (4 adults and 5 kids) and the bill was nearly $500. We paid a total $441 for the entire day on the DDP.

DisAl

It depends on how you use it. Since with grandkids we do a lot of character meals the DP usually saves us some money. And even if you don't drink alcohol there are some great non-alcohol versions of the specialty drinks available in most restaurants.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
It does not just have to be an alcoholic beverage it could be a non alcoholic specialty drink as well.

The only way to know if its worth it is to do your own math and also weigh whether you find the convenience enough of a draw.

Personally if I'm doing all QS I do not find the QSDP worth the cost and convenience.

However if I have plans to eat at several TS locations during my trip I do find the DDP to be worth the cost and convenience.

And if its FREE dining and you already meet the minimum stay/ticket requirements I have found its usually worth taking FD vs a RO discount.

JIMINYCR

No one can say definitely it is or isnt worth it. Each family can see a difference in whether the DDP is going to produce a savings or not all depending on how it is used and if it is totally used. At times weve had a minor savings, other times none at all. I can say, weve never had a substantial monetary gain by doing it. Before deciding to add it into our plans we look through the menu sections and decide what we will probably be ordering. Totalling up the prices we go in with a pretty good idea where we will stand. This trip we will go with the DDP.

Weather_Lady

It all depends.

It will never be worth it for my family again unless it's offered as part of a "free"/reduced dining promotion...
- Not now that my children are over age 9 and considered Disney "adults," charged twice as much at buffets though they still eat like children.
- Not since DH and I have worked hard to practice portion control and get in better shape, which has shrunk our stomachs such that we can no longer comfortably enjoy an oversized meal portion, or more than 1 snack per day, even if we wanted to.
- Not since I cut down my red meat consumption, such that I'm less likely to order the most expensive entrees (typically steaks).
- Not since we stopped drinking big fountain beverages, and cut down on alcohol.
- Not since we don't need and wouldn't really use the refillable mugs.
- Not when we sometimes like to order appetizers as our entrees at table-service restaurants (something not allowed on the standard DDP).
- Not since we decided that Disney's character meals weren't worth the time they require, plus we've met most characters by now anyway.
- Not since we can already save a modest amount on several of our meals when we pay out-of-pocket, by using Landry's restaurant rewards and Disney VISA discounts.
- Not since I don't find the DDP to be "less stressful" or to save me any "sticker shock," since when we've used it I'd have to pore over every receipt to see if we "got our money's worth" and ordered enough food every day to compensate for the tremendous price we paid.

In crunching the numbers for our upcoming Disney trip in February (using online menus, and cross-checking our numbers with the tool at distripplanner.com, which I HIGHLY recommend as a starting place for whether you want the DDP, OP!):
- The DDP for our 6-night trip (family of 4, both kids over age 9) would cost $2,232.48. That total includes the cost of the plan, which would cover 5 TS meals (1 of the restaurants we chose is a 2-credit signature), 6 CS meals, 12 snacks, 4 mugs, etc., plus the cost of 3 additional onsite meals out-of-pocket (as we have an early arrival and late departure), and taxes and tips.
- Paying out-of-pocket, with costs for the exact same meals, plus a glass of wine here and there, 1 snack per person per day (we can't eat more, and sometimes forget to even get a daily snack), an occasional round of appetizers or dessert at TS meals, and entrees at the upper end of the price spectrum for each menu, plus taxes, tips, etc. will cost a maximum of $1,795.00 -- a savings of well over $400, or 20%, over the DDP. Our plans include a mixture of higher-priced CS (e.g., Satu'li Canteen), typical CS (e.g., Pecos Bill), higher-priced TS (e.g., Tiffins, Skipper Canteen, San Angel Inn) and lower-priced TS (e.g., Yak & Yeti, Via Napoli, Sanaa). That total also takes into account the discounts available to us through Disney VISA (10% off at Sanaa, Tiffins, and Skipper Canteen) and Landry's ($25 off at Yak & Yeti). The only way we'd come out ahead with the DDP is if we wanted alcohol with every meal, plus extra desserts and snacks, if we were always interested in ordering the most expensive entrees available, if we didn't order anything the DDP doesn't cover, and if we scheduled several 1-credit buffet/character meals. Since that's not the way we eat, it makes no sense for us to invest in the DDP and our dining experience would not be enhanced or improved if we had it -- we're already planning to order, eat and drink whatever we want, wherever we want, and even with some splurges thrown in, we're saving hundreds over the DDP.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

I shared in some post on this site a while back that I use my split stays to my advantage. If I have a really expensive restaurant, like Storybook Dining, that I want to attend, I make that reservation for the split stay that has the DDP. For the restaurants that I feel are not worth a TS dining credit (i.e. Beaches & Cream), I pay out of pocket and get my AP discount or VISA discount instead and book them during the other split stay that I did not pay for the dining plan. My husband is a big proponent for the DDP and these are the last three trips that we will have it as my son will age out of the 3-9 category and we will not be going to any character buffets after these trips.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We always take the Disney Dining Plan, so what I’m about to say may sound odd..... the dining plan is not worth it Financially whether you drink or not. The only plus for the DDP is convenience. It’s convenient for me to have my meals
paid for before I set foot on property(excluding tip.). We often bring some snacks home because we are full while we are there. I eat and/ or spend more on food than I need or normally would, because it is already paid for and because I want a character meal and not have to wait in line. I could eat and spend less if it was out of pocket and wouldn’t be worse for wear. Disney food is generally overpriced and not necessarily the highest quality example of the dish you ordered. But it sure is conveniently located and I don’t leave the Parks with anything but memories. The bill has already been paid. Just one persons thoughts.
...but....you’re overpaying...

So how is it “convenient” to overpay?? 🤯
Thank you. I just went on the dining section of WDW's website, looked at some menus and experienced sticker shock. I can see the benefit of having your food paid for ahead of time and knowing your what budget will be rather than stressing over prices while you are there.

But...they raised the menu prices when they introduced the dining plan...then they raise the plan...then they raised the menu prices...then they raised the plan...then they raised the menu prices...then they raised the plan...

So what are you getting, again?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No one can say definitely it is or isnt worth it. Each family can see a difference in whether the DDP is going to produce a savings or not all depending on how it is used and if it is totally used. At times weve had a minor savings, other times none at all. I can say, weve never had a substantial monetary gain by doing it. Before deciding to add it into our plans we look through the menu sections and decide what we will probably be ordering. Totalling up the prices we go in with a pretty good idea where we will stand. This trip we will go with the DDP.

No one can say it...

Unless you do the research of the pricing history, the rate of rise/return, and study the menu modifications since 2006 😉

Minthorne

It all depends.

It will never be worth it for my family again unless it's offered as part of a "free"/reduced dining promotion...
- Not now that my children are over age 9 and considered Disney "adults," required to pay twice as much as a child even though they still eat like children.
- Not since DH and I have worked hard to practice portion control and get in better shape, which has shrunk our stomachs such that we can no longer comfortably enjoy an oversized meal portion, or more than 1 snack per day, even if we wanted to.
- Not since I cut down my red meat consumption, such that I'm less likely to order the most expensive entrees (typically steaks).
- Not since we stopped drinking big fountain beverages, and cut down on alcohol.
- Not since we don't need and wouldn't really use the refillable mugs.
- Not when we sometimes like to order appetizers as our entrees at table-service restaurants (something not allowed on the standard DDP).
- Not since we decided that Disney's character meals weren't worth the time they require, plus we've met most characters by now anyway.
- Not since we can already save a modest amount on several of our meals when we pay out-of-pocket, by using Landry's restaurant rewards and Disney VISA discounts.

In crunching the numbers for our upcoming Disney trip in February (using online menus, and cross-checking our numbers with the tool at distripplanner.com, which I HIGHLY recommend as a starting place for whether you want the DDP, OP!):
- The DDP for our 6-night trip (family of 4, both kids over age 9) would cost $2,232.48. That total includes the cost of the plan, which would cover 5 TS meals (1 of the restaurants we chose is a 2-credit signature), 6 CS meals, 12 snacks, 4 mugs, etc., plus the cost of 3 additional onsite meals out-of-pocket (as we have an early arrival and late departure), and taxes and tips.
- Paying out-of-pocket, with costs for the exact same meals, plus a glass of wine here and there, 1 snack per person per day (we can't eat more, and sometimes forget to even get a daily snack), an occasional round of appetizers or dessert at TS meals, and taxes, tips, etc. will cost $1,795.00 -- a savings of well over $400, or 20%, over the DDP. Our plans include a mixture of higher-priced CS (e.g., Satu'li Canteen), typical CS (e.g., Pecos Bill), higher-priced TS (e.g., Tiffins, Skipper Canteen, San Angel Inn) and lower-priced TS (e.g., Yak & Yeti, Via Napoli, Sanaa). That total also takes into account the discounts available to us through Disney VISA (10% off at Sanaa, Tiffins, and Skipper Canteen) and Landry's ($25 off at Yak & Yeti). The only way we'd come out ahead with the DDP is if we wanted alcohol with every meal, plus extra desserts and snacks, if we were always interested in ordering the most expensive entrees available, if we didn't order anything the DDP doesn't cover, and if we scheduled several 1-credit buffet/character meals. Since that's not the way we eat, it makes no sense for us to invest in the DDP and our dining experience would not be enhanced or improved if we had it -- we're already planning to order, eat and drink whatever we want, wherever we want.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

@Weather_Lady is one of the DDP gurus - listen to her!

homerdance

If you are using the DDP to save money, chances are you won't. We do but we dine stupid (lots of character meals, drinks, expensive QS) and do dine that way with or without the DDP. It is 100% convenience and not having to worry about what we are spending. I can tell you i wouldn't get a Mickey Bar at WDW because they are to expensive, but i do when we are on the DDP.

mlee10

We dine stupid as well @homerdance ! This is the last trip that our kids will qualify for the kids dining plan. Not sure if we will continue to do it after this trip. I feel like we come out fairly even in the end and like that I don't have to worry about what we are spending. We do like the more expensive meals as this is not something we do on a regular basis. To each their own, but if you are going to use it, make sure to USE it! Get high priced meals and snacks! I think once the kids are 10 it will be hard to even come close to making it worth it!

JMcMahonEsq

I never understand why this ends up being such a complicated question. The menu's and pricing for the restaurants are available for researching. The price for the DDP you are thinking of selecting either exceeds what you plan to eat, or it doesn't.

That being said, as a general rule, if your doing character dining, like chef mickey or the Norway princess lunch, the DDP is a net positive. If you are only looking to eat appetizers, or low cost items, its a net loss.

Club Cooloholic

I shared in some post on this site a while back that I use my split stays to my advantage. If I have a really expensive restaurant, like Storybook Dining, that I want to attend, I make that reservation for the split stay that has the DDP. For the restaurants that I feel are not worth a TS dining credit (i.e. Beaches & Cream), I pay out of pocket and get my AP discount or VISA discount instead and book them during the other split stay that I did not pay for the dining plan. My husband is a big proponent for the DDP and these are the last three trips that we will have it as my son will age out of the 3-9 category and we will not be going to any character buffets after these trips.
This is a great idea which we did too. 3 nights with DDP, 4 nights without. Hit the biggie restaurants for the most part on DDP

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom