New 350 room DVC tower coming to Disneyland Hotel

CaptinEO

To be blunt: I'm pretty sure you're the one who doesn't understand words.

All this says is that its a place that is unique. And, as a Disneyland Hotel DVC has never existed, it is.

I mean, lots of things get called masterpieces that aren't. Like almost every Academy Award Best Picture winner. And this only says it 'celebrates' these things - in other words, makes a nod to them. Nothing more.

Again, there isn't another pool exactly like this one, so by definition, its 'one of a kind'. The soak up part is just, you know, a joke about water.

This is the one you get the BS meter out on. Theres not much of anything thats 'inspired' by any story, except one of making money. 'Decades to come', well, I guess if you buy in for 50 years, sure. Only thing I can say about that is that I'd much rather own here than at WDW.
Ok Mr. Iger, time for bed, I'll get you your warm beige sweater.

TP2000

I think it fits well with the Disneyland hotel existing theming. 🤷‍♂️

I think using the word "theming" or "theme" to describe the Disneyland Hotel is too much of a stretch.

I would describe the Disneyland Hotel as being "interior decorated" instead of "themed". It's a series of 1960's and 1970's generic cement and glass hotel towers built by the Wrather Corporation. If you removed the Mickey shaped hand soaps in the bathrooms, and the Disneyland artwork on the walls, and the piles of plastic Disney crap made in Communist China for sale down in the gift shop, you could move this hotel to San Diego or Galveston or Myrtle Beach and it would fit right in.

Because it's not themed at all, it's just decorated a bit on the inside.

But with that, I can agree that this new DVC tower fits with the Disneyland Hotel's existing interior decorations and furnishings.

I'm Immersed! This generic hotel tower is where creative inspiration comes to life like never before! Wait... is this Myrtle Beach?
48554036137_29387afeb9_b.jpg

Last edited:

Phroobar

I think using the word "theming" or "theme" to describe the Disneyland Hotel is too much of a stretch.

I would describe the Disneyland Hotel as being "interior decorated" instead of "themed". It's a series of 1960's and 1970's generic cement and glass hotel towers built by the Wrather Corporation. If you removed the Mickey shaped hand soaps in the bathrooms, and the Disneyland artwork on the walls, and the piles of plastic Disney crap made in Communist China for sale down in the gift shop, you could move this hotel to San Diego or Galveston or Myrtle Beach and it would fit right in.

Because it's not themed at all, it's just decorated a bit on the inside.

But with that, I can agree that this new DVC tower fits with the Disneyland Hotel's existing interior decorations and furnishings.

I'm Immersed! This generic hotel tower is where creative inspiration comes to life like never before! Wait... is this Myrtle Beach?
48554036137_29387afeb9_b.jpg
I miss the glass elevator to the concierge lounge.

BubbaisSleep

Yup. 14 years too late.
I mean this is the same company that opened Tron.
Also The Little Mermaid & Beauty and the Beast are newer theme park attractions for much older movies. I'll give Dwarfs a pass since it kind of was a replacement of the same IP.
Maybe in another 10 years we'll finally get Lion King.

TP2000

I don't mind the look of the new building but I wish they added Tomorrowland theming and artwork instead of "storytelling."

Good point on using this as the Tomorrowland tower instead of calling it The Lofts at SoDoSoPa er... The Villas At Disneyland Hotel.

They've got Frontier Tower, Adventure Tower, Fantasy Tower. And now instead of Tomorrow Tower they have this "storytelling".

I laughed out loud at the screen when they said this while showing this generic kitchenette in the generic Villa.

"Every space will be bursting with magical touches and just like home comforts that will make staying here feel like a dream come true!"

Three Magical Touches!.jpg

I have helpfully identified the three Magical Touches (M.T.) for us shown in this video shot. In no particular order:

1. Mickey Mouse shaped Eggo waffle in the toaster.
2. Mickey Mouse stuffed animal perched whimsically on the sofa bed.
3. Disneyland Hotel branded paper napkins placed on the ottoman.

You are immersed in storytelling! You are in a 450 square foot one-bedroom junior suite bursting with magical touches where creative inspiration comes to life like never before! 🤔

TP2000

I always enjoy reading your take. It's the only justice given to this overly done overstated insulting corporate talk that overpromises, exaggerates, and underdelivers.

Thank you for the great laughs as always!

Oh, trust me, the pleasure is all mine! :cool:

Making fun of Disney for being this smarmy and disingenuous over a generic timeshare tower is easy. Like shooting fish in a barrel at this point. But honestly, all credit should go to the writers at South Park for providing the immersive and creative inspiration to live my story...

TP2000

Such a better time. Look at that crowd - sharply dressed, neatly groomed, and wonderfully low BMI. Add to that the fantastic waitress service pose (and those legs), magic.

People who missed this era have no idea what they missed. And thus, it's nearly impossible for them to expect this type of service.

That said, there are still businesses and environments you can go to that still have these high standards for their employees and their customers. Sadly, that's not at Disney owned properties in this country any longer.

Those standards have all been dropped and abandoned at Disney over the last 20 years. It started in the 2000's gradually gaining speed in the 2010's, but really took a nosedive off the cliff post-Covid at Disneyland and WDW.

Phroobar

People who missed this era have no idea what they missed. And thus, it's nearly impossible for them to expect this type of service.

That said, there are still businesses and environments you can go to that still have these high standards for their employees and their customers. Sadly, that's not at Disney owned properties in this country any longer.

Those standards have all been dropped and abandoned at Disney over the last 20 years. It started in the 2000's gradually gaining speed in the 2010's, but really took a nosedive off the cliff post-Covid at Disneyland and WDW.
You could say the Disney cruise lines still have high standards until you look at the rest of the cruise line industry and realize that is just basic par for the course. It is still get in line for a craft project or activity and hope you can get in.

TP2000

Not that much of the tower actually looks onto Walnut, well under a third. There's a reason there is a tiered wing coming off the back overlooking the pool. Almost all of the truly 'bad' views will be standard studios, aka they will be priced very accordingly.

Looking at the model more, I think it's actually opposite of that.

Only about one third of the building's windows face east towards the Resort, noted in green below.

The other two thirds of the units/windows in this tower face west towards Walnut, noted in red below. Or worse, face north towards Walnut and the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center's giant blank wall. But the absolute worst units will face south and west towards Walnut's delivery truck access, the Disneyland Hotel power plant, and that ugly office building. Framed by huge power lines.

The Villas On Walnut.jpg

Using the model above where the giant W in Walnut is drawn, this is the Google Street view from January, 2023 below from the "modern masterpiece celebrates Disney storytelling, animation, and the iconic designs behind it all!".

I have thoughtfully identified some of the Magical Touches (M.T.) along Walnut you can see from the Villas, in no particular order;
  • The triple-barbed wire security fence to keep out the diverse and vibrant local community.
  • The 1970's megawatt power plant and industrial water chillers for the Disneyland Hotel complex that I'm sure is whisper quiet.
  • The busy truck delivery entrance for the Disneyland Hotel and Disneyland Hotel Convention Center.
  • The 1990's office building cleverly Imagineered to look like a 1990's office building.
  • The towering SoCal Edison trunk lines hugging the south and west of the property and framing Catalina Island on the horizon
Magical Touches on Walnut, But Stay Out Of That Van!.jpg

And seriously, if you see that white panel van cruising the barrios and strip malls of west Anaheim, don't get in it.

TP2000

An opposite view of the model shown above, looking north along Walnut. This demonstrates that some DVC units will face southwest towards the Hotel's big power plant (with General Electric's WhisperQuiet cooling fans!) and the office building next to it.

Not the view you want to ask for at check-in!

EYlhOaZUMAAEC2M

BrianLo

Looking at the model more, I think it's actually opposite of that.

Only about one third of the building's windows face east towards the Resort, noted in green below.

The other two thirds of the units/windows in this tower face west towards Walnut, noted in red below. Or worse, face north towards Walnut and the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center's giant blank wall. But the absolute worst units will face south and west towards Walnut's delivery truck access, the Disneyland Hotel power plant, and that ugly office building. Framed by huge power lines.

View attachment 702876

Using the model above where the giant W in Walnut is drawn, this is the Google Street view from January, 2023 below from the "modern masterpiece celebrates Disney storytelling, animation, and the iconic designs behind it all!".

I have thoughtfully identified some of the Magical Touches (M.T.) along Walnut you can see from the Villas, in no particular order;
  • The triple-barbed wire security fence to keep out the diverse and vibrant local community.
  • The 1970's megawatt power plant and industrial water chillers for the Disneyland Hotel complex that I'm sure is whisper quiet.
  • The busy truck delivery entrance for the Disneyland Hotel and Disneyland Hotel Convention Center.
  • The 1990's office building cleverly Imagineered to look like a 1990's office building.
  • The towering SoCal Edison trunk lines hugging the south and west of the property and framing Catalina Island on the horizon
View attachment 702878

And seriously, if you see that white panel van cruising the barrios and strip malls of west Anaheim, don't get in it.

Sorry, my contention wasn't that you can technically see Walnut, rather what the rooms are actually facing. The wing is facing the pool courtyard. Even the lower levels are really looking over a pool. The top levels and backside of the wing will have bad views.

There will definitely be 'value view' rooms, or rooms with garbage views. But the nature of DVC is you will pay significantly less points for them. In fact the rooms overlooking a garbage bin tend to be the fastest to go. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom