News Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the anticipation that the parks will be open under wildly different circumstances, wouldn't it stand to reason that this project does not debut in late 2020 as originally forecasted?
I could almost see it being more popular in the new world in that it reduces time in line being surrounded in close proximity with others.

drizgirl

With the anticipation that the parks will be open under wildly different circumstances, wouldn't it stand to reason that this project does not debut in late 2020 as originally forecasted?
I could almost see it being more popular in the new world in that it reduces time in line being surrounded in close proximity with others.
Yeah, I wouldn't count on this being shelved or even delayed. It might be fast tracked. We could see a very fast and severe separation into classes at the Disney parks beyond anything we've seen before. It could be rolled out under the guise of helping with maintaining social distancing, but really be there to provide a revenue stream Disney will be sorely in need of.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, I wouldn't count on this being shelved or even delayed. It might be fast tracked. We could see a very fast and severe separation into classes at the Disney parks beyond anything we've seen before. It could be rolled out under the guise of helping with maintaining social distancing, but really be there to provide a revenue stream Disney will be sorely in need of.
Alternatively, it could be used as a DVC perk or other alternative during times of reduced crowds.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Everyone’s talking about Covid19 and WDW liability. Wait until they see my, “You call that an optimal day? Really?” suit. Better buckle up corporate fancy law talking guys. You will be on a wild ride that doesn’t involve amphibians or the old west.

I already have an active suit against WDW in progress regarding lack of actual 'magic.'

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
If virtual queues transition from a thing to the thing, maybe Genie's biggest advantage is tying into Disney's systems to automatically book guests in virtual lines for attractions. Like touring plans but using location placing you in virtual queue for next attraction after enterring or exiting first attraction (using location based data). Like those Brazilian steak houses with the green and red sides when on/off wanting food, Disney could charge by the time "on the clock" that Genie is used. Really though, people would feel nickel and dimed so I'd still bet on a flat fee per person.

To differentiate from free methods, maybe Genie can place into next queue when *enterring* first attraction and "free, manual" way through MDE may only allow to book next attraction after *exiting* first attraction (magic band sensors near exit?).

I'm probably way off track but it's at least an interesting way to look at combining Rise of the Resistance location based demands with virtual queues with copying ideas from the good people at touring plans.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Is there any chance that this could be used as "the way" of making sure social distancing occurs within the parks? It seems like the perfect way to incorporate a reservation system, and eliminate standby lines.

HauntedMansionFLA

Is there any chance that this could be used as "the way" of making sure social distancing occurs within the parks? It seems like the perfect way to incorporate a reservation system, and eliminate standby lines.
Then the park would be packed. DHS was a mess when they did just for Rise and that’s one ride.
It would be awesome thank wear you could plan out your day with every ride.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
My best guess is a new mobile app for Touring Plans. That thing, while usable in some ways, was ugly and sometimes not intuitive to use.
I agree that they're probably doing a new app; the "Your Wish" is an interesting Genie reference. Wondering if they know some news is coming.

I love how battery-friendly the existing Lines app is; my problems with it are that it's hard to build a plan from scratch on mobile, and that if you open the DL and WDW versions on your phone within a short time of one another, it can create some strange bugs.

lentesta

Premium Member
It's the new app. This first release will concentrate on bringing over existing functionality. It's built on a modern platform (React Native) and will allow us to do some interesting things going forward.

ETA: If you haven't seen it, here's our summer intern's project to add in-park navigation through 2D maps and augmented reality to the app. It's rough, but it showed it's doable.

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
As a native mobile dev: Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

As someone who knows how much my company charges per developer: This is probably a good platform for you, since I doubt you have the budget to pay for multiple full time devs to pound out bugs year round on 2 versions of the same thing.

For what we want to do, it makes more sense to use one codebase for both platforms. There's not that much difference (for our app) in platform capabilities these days, so the expense isn't warranted.

I love the idea of React Native. I think the debugging tools are a couple of generations from where they need to be.

Creathir

For what we want to do, it makes more sense to use one codebase for both platforms. There's not that much difference (for our app) in platform capabilities these days, so the expense isn't warranted.

I love the idea of React Native. I think the debugging tools are a couple of generations from where they need to be.
Honestly, for an information type portal that Touring Plans is, React Native is probably more than suitable. It works well for countless big companies (Facebook being the biggest) and frankly unless you are doing something super specific (like your AR stuff) the advantages a fully native app brings are pretty small.

89P13

Sooo, with no fatspasses or entertainment around the parks, this is an all new dining reservation app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom