Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

rreading

As for the Communicore buildings themselves, I'd say their beauty came from their adaptability. You could expand them, alter or add to their facades, divide them or leave them open - and all of that was by design so they could become whatever you needed them to be in service of their next usage. While the old buildings certainly wouldn't win any architectural awards for their exterior appearance, I doubt whatever replaces the SW quadrant will come close to matching their flexibility; at least the Moana splash area is easy to rebuild on in the future.

The flip side of this coin: the “adaptability” of the communicore buildings was a function of their generic (maybe boring) facade in which an excellent attraction such as Sum of All Thrills could hide for more than a decade only getting scant attention. Were SoaT in a futuristic/distinctive building (maybe not as elaborate as M:S but still compelling) it would have been extremely popular; as it was, I only found it because of a review from someone who was enthusiastic about it. In retrospect, its location was the worst thing about it (although it kept its lines shorter). Similarly, it took me a decade to find Club Cool (mostly because I never spent the time to explore the giant indoor structures)

As much as I miss Horizons, WoM and the original Imagination pavilion/ride, there are many things in Epcot which have been improved. I don’t love the asymmetry of the new plan, but I really didn’t appreciate the communicore buildings.

UNCgolf

The flip side of this coin: the “adaptability” of the communicore buildings was a function of their generic (maybe boring) facade in which an excellent attraction such as Sum of All Thrills could hide for more than a decade only getting scant attention. Were SoaT in a futuristic/distinctive building (maybe not as elaborate as M:S but still compelling) it would have been extremely popular; as it was, I only found it because of a review from someone who was enthusiastic about it. In retrospect, its location was the worst thing about it (although it kept its lines shorter). Similarly, it took me a decade to find Club Cool (mostly because I never spent the time to explore the giant indoor structures)

As much as I miss Horizons, WoM and the original Imagination pavilion/ride, there are many things in Epcot which have been improved. I don’t love the asymmetry of the new plan, but I really didn’t appreciate the communicore buildings.

While the location probably didn't help, the name also didn't do it any favors (for a long time I just assumed it was somehow connected to the mediocre Tom Clancy film), nor was it especially well advertised in any way.

I think that was probably on purpose, though, at least to an extent. It couldn't handle a bunch of people -- I doubt the hourly capacity was more than 150-200. I'm not sure it would have been feasible to build on a larger scale.

Because of that, it was exactly the kind of thing that belonged in Communicore. It just shouldn't have been the only thing there. EPCOT no longer has anywhere to put attractions like it.

EDIT: I'm not sure Disney has a place for attractions like it now, though. The attendance is just too high for very low capacity attractions in the parks. It's the kind of thing that also would have worked well at Disney Quest, if that still existed and they ever actually updated it.

Last edited:

rreading

No one is paying $100+ to visit a public park...

Suppose not. But I really prefer my vacation in a lush, outdoor setting rather than in a pair of giant generic semicircular buildings. It’s kind of a weird discussion: that we’re mourning some metal structures. I assume that many on this site had some really great memories of them. Having been to Epcot throughout my life (born in ‘72), I will not miss the one which is gone. I truly wonder how I will feel about the one left.

rreading

The day this is a gain is the day I stop going to WDW (which gets closer each year)

My hope for Disney is that they continue to aim their attractions broader than for the 6yo and their parents. The plaques in the ground representing human achievements on the path to the Land pavilion is what I’m going to miss. I’m glad SSE has a reprieve for now, and I’m always glad we have LwtL.

But Epcot with its WS and slower attractions has always been an easy target for more kid-centered additions.

Navi River Ride - though brief - is quite enjoyable by adults. RotR has its place in its park, but is not dumbed down and my impression is that SW:GE is for a broad demographic (if you appreciate the IP).

fwiw, I really missed the Illuminations comprised of iconic classical music when I returned to find RoE. Similarly I’ll miss RoE…but perhaps this new show will have a message of togetherness which will still feel true, like RoE.

But I always wonder what would make me no longer return to Disney. I think losing the international representatives in WS and SSE being gutted would probably keep me from returning to Epcot on a regular basis; that being said, I would still stay at the resorts and visit the other parks 🤷‍♂️

jt04

Suppose not. But I really prefer my vacation in a lush, outdoor setting rather than in a pair of giant generic semicircular buildings. It’s kind of a weird discussion: that we’re mourning some metal structures. I assume that many on this site had some really great memories of them. Having been to Epcot throughout my life (born in ‘72), I will not miss the one which is gone. I truly wonder how I will feel about the one left.

The Communicore buildings were mostly money pits for most of their history. The competition would of course not want the mouse to move beyond such a hindrance to growth.

Epcot is growing again. (🌱 heh) These are facts. Although the pace is slow, it is unstoppable.

jt04

Out of curiosity, how will "The Communicore buildings were mostly money pits for most of their history" be proven by attendance numbers?

Two separate points.

But if Disney only cares about the bottom line, as we are repeatedly informed on these boards, then the only possible explanation for the removal of one of the structures and the expense associated with its removal, is that it was a cost liability.

To bolster this argument, just look at what they are installing in the remaining building. Money generators. Something has to cover all the overhead.

mergatroid

Two separate points.

But if Disney only cares about the bottom line, as we are repeatedly informed on these boards, then the only possible explanation for the removal of one of the structures and the expense associated with its removal, is that it was a cost liability.

To bolster this argument, just look at what they are installing in the remaining building. Money generators. Something has to cover all the overhead.
Thanks for replying but that assumes everyone believes the above. Where are the attendance figures though or are you just going off it not looking very busy on a random day that you popped in?

jt04

Thanks for replying but that assumes everyone believes the above. Where are the attendance figures though or are you just going off it not looking very busy on a random day that you popped in?

There are places you can find "unofficial" numbers. But we won't have proof the park is growing until 2023 and after obviously.

The Aracuan Bird

Two separate points.

It’s fairly evident that, throughout the company’s history, many of the key players also care about their legacy and what kind of mark they can make on the parks. I believe that was part of the intention with this Epcot overhaul. Why they’ve been more focussed on changing the landscaping than they are adding attractions. They want to change the look and feel of the park because they want it to be “their park”.

The company will focus on protecting their bottom line...so long as it doesn’t come at the cost of maintaining their legacy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom