Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Ayla

I'm sure this has already been discussed but despite searching I haven't been able to find it. Do we have confirmation on how this "attraction" will be managed in terms of guest flow, queue, etc. Will it be a walk-through experience with one entrance and exit and a full queue ala the old Triceratops Encounter at IOA or will it truly just be open to guests to explore in any direction they choose?
From what I understand, it's a 'wander around and look at whatever' kind of attraction. No line, no only going one way.

AndyMagic

From what I understand, it's a 'wander around and look at whatever' kind of attraction. No line, no only going one way.

If that's the case this seems like a crowd control nightmare. "Wander around and look at whatever" works in very limited settings and typically not for something marked on a map as an attraction with an IP attached. Will there be multiple entrances and exits as well or will everyone enter through the same portal and then pick their path from there?

Walking around a beautiful environment should be the norm when navigating a well-designed theme park on your way to and from attractions. Animal Kingdom's themed lands and both Wizarding World lands are far more detailed and immersive than anything this can offer and those just set the table for the adventure to come. The fact that this is an attraction with a dedicated marketing spend and a special on Good Morning America is incredibly amusing to me.

Incomudro

If that's the case this seems like a crowd control nightmare. "Wander around and look at whatever" works in very limited settings and typically not for something marked on a map as an attraction with an IP attached. Will there be multiple entrances and exits as well or will everyone enter through the same portal and then pick their path from there?

Walking around a beautiful environment should be the norm when navigating a well-designed theme park on your way to and from attractions. Animal Kingdom's themed lands and both Wizarding World lands are far more detailed and immersive than anything this can offer and those just set the table for the adventure to come. The fact that this is an attraction with a dedicated marketing spend and a special on Good Morning America is incredibly amusing to me.
You wander around and look at whatever all around the parks.
You just wander into the little butterfly garden in EPCOT, and that works well.
Wander into gift shops.
In the EPCOT of 'yore, people wandered around and looked at whatever - INDOORS.
There were even hands on stations that people wandered up to and interacted with. There are still some in Spaceship Earth.
Many people here still wish EPCOT had those things, or that they would be reintroduced.
This is far less of a crowd control issue than that approach would be.

Worldlover71

1675371397860.png

Any thoughts on how/if these structures will be camouflaged? They sit pretty close to walkways and aren't "backstage".

MrPromey

that would have fit in much better at Animal Kingdom (which needs more attractions)
Problem is, in AK, due to the quality of the theming already in place, it would have looked more like just a part of the environment of whatever land they stuck it in. They'd have to do some never-before-seen mind-blowing stuff with that water for it to seem like anything at all like an actual attraction in that park.

Just sticking out like a sore thumb in Epcot is enough to differentiate it as some sort of attraction, there.

I'm hopeful for a little more than that and given all the plumbing needed to put this together, there is still a chance.

Hopefully there will be more to it but they've focused a lot on showing off things like rock carving and how they picked out fake flowers for the statue while continuing to be pretty vague, coy, and non-committal on what the actual effects with the water (the heart of what this is supposed to be) will entail.

To me, that's not a great sign given what we've ended up with on other projects over the last few years after they've made promise of totally new and innovative voodoo and then haven't quite delivered on many of the breathless claims they'd made.

.... Except for the flooring in Creations.

TheZack really nailed that one.

Last edited:

Drdcm

Problem is, in AK, due to the quality of the theming already in place, it would have looked more like just a part of the environment of whatever land they stuck it in. They'd have to do some never-before-seen mind-blowing stuff with that water for it to seem like anything at all like an actual attraction in that park.
This is exactly what blows my mind about the timeline for this. How on earth is this still going to take another 6 months to complete? There is nothing particularly special about it. We have ride queues that seem more impressive (little mermaid, FOP). The water better be doing backflips or riding skateboards…

Disstevefan1

It sure looks like a lot of infrastructure for a what seems to be a glorified splash pad.

It's taking way too long for what seems will be a truly disappointing walk-through feature.

The delay must be intentional. I think Disney is trying to push openings closer to when EPIC Universe opens.

I really would have preferred flat concrete with some embedded fiber optic.

Epcot82Guy

I still say repurposing Innoventions NW into an expanded One Man's Dream with the Walt Statue as the entry wienie - then using a version of JoW with multiple entries as the gateway between IMAG and World Nature would have made more sense.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It sure looks like a lot of infrastructure for a what seems to be a glorified splash pad.
Calling it a splash pad, even a 'glorified' one is just absurd. Are the dancing fountains by Imagination just a glorified splash pad?

It's taking way too long for what seems will be a truly disappointing walk-through feature.
I'm sorry it seems it will be disappointing to you. I'm eager to experience it.

The delay must be intentional. I think Disney is trying to push openings closer to when EPIC Universe opens.
The delay was indeed intentional... when they stopped construction because of the pandemic. However, once the construction resumed it didn't stop. Don't forget that when construction did resume, there were severe supply chain issues worldwide. The continuing construction of the Hub has been well documented in this thread. You should read it.

EU will not open until Summer of 2025, more than two years away. Disney has announced at D23 that JoW will open in late 2023, about 10 months away at most. Their openings will in no way be close to one another.

I'm sorry you've been so grossly misinformed about this.

I really would have preferred flat concrete with some embedded fiber optic.
You will get your fiber optic embedded in concrete with the central part of the hub. It will be part of the SSE lightshow as seen from within the park.

Disstevefan1

Calling it a splash pad, even a 'glorified' one is just absurd. Are the dancing fountains by Imagination just a glorified splash pad?

I'm sorry it seems it will be disappointing to you. I'm eager to experience it.

The delay was indeed intentional... when they stopped construction because of the pandemic. However, once the construction resumed it didn't stop. Don't forget that when construction did resume, there were severe supply chain issues worldwide. The continuing construction of the Hub has been well documented in this thread. You should read it.

EU will not open until Summer of 2025, more than two years away. Disney has announced at D23 that JoW will open in late 2023, about 10 months away at most. Their openings will in no way be close to one another.

I'm sorry you've been so grossly misinformed about this.

You will get your fiber optic embedded in concrete with the central part of the hub. It will be part of the SSE lightshow as seen from within the park.
On behalf of the Moana universe I want to thank you for all your thoughtful comments and corrections.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom