Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

retr0gate

Imagine if the Nemo ride was Mr. Ray with Nemo and the other 'kid fish' (and Dory as a field trip chaperone) that would accompany your omnimover. And Mr. Ray explaining to the kid fish the wonders of the ocean with Dory asking comic relief questions.

Drop the very very very bad attempt at a book report ride. And have the ride be truly edutainment.

At the end of the day, I think the ride just needs a story adjustment similar to this to create a more cohesive experience for the pavilion itself. Although we haven't seen much, they have been making small adjustments that lean more into the "seabase" theming. The new signage that we've been seeing around the pavilion isn't much but it's certainly an improvement. I really love the idea of an underwater field trip as opposed to the tired "where's nemo" story.

A lot of people are critical of Nemo taking over what used to be a cohesive experience that really sold the idea of traveling to an underwater facility. I'd argue that the first half of the pavilion still sells this idea fairly well, albeit with a different execution. The queue for this attraction is actually one of my favorites in EPCOT. Although it lacks any real explanation or logic as to how you got there (aside from "disney magic"), the journey from land to sea that's represented in the queue is still an enjoyable one. While there's a LOT that can be critiqued about the current version of Imagination, one gripe people have of the current story is giving a time and place to an attraction that doesn't need one (i.e. the Imagination Institute). I'd say that something similar can be argued for the queue of the Seas, especially as an alternative to the hydrolators that were there before. Like before, emphasis for a distinct setting should be placed on Seabase, with the dark ride merely being a journey to your destination. This is where I think the ride could really benefit.

The ride in its current form lacks a wow factor except for the 2 seconds at the end where you get a glimpse out into the main tank. Most of the show scenes before this part are fine, nothing extraordinary, but I think the EAC needs to go and they should uncover that portion of the track. It's a small portion of the ride, sure, but it could be utilized as an arrival sequence into seabase itself. That, and a few other small tweaks like updating the signage/mural outside and adding some sort of "return to dry land" sequence near the exit (instead of that sad excuse of a gift shop) could really go a long way. As others have stated here, the Living Seas in its original form was definitely not the best that EPCOT Center had to offer, and I think that the dark ride elements that were added alongside nemo were a welcome addition even if their execution wasn't the best. With the current "overhaul" of the park going on, this is a budget friendly way of breathing some new life into the Seas.

UNCgolf

Imagine if the Nemo ride was Mr. Ray with Nemo and the other 'kid fish' (and Dory as a field trip chaperone) that would accompany your omnimover. And Mr. Ray explaining to the kid fish the wonders of the ocean with Dory asking comic relief questions.

Drop the very very very bad attempt at a book report ride. And have the ride be truly edutainment.

This would have been a much better idea -- just project them onto the tank windows like they do at the very end of the ride.

UNCgolf

Turtle Talk as it is now did not take over live animal exhibits, it's reusing one of the original pre-show theaters from the Seabase Alpha days. It's effect on exhibits in the space is minimal.

That's true. It's when they built it originally that they eliminated exhibits (I don't think any of them were live animal exhibits, but they were still interesting things to see).

I was looking at a list of what was originally in Seabase Alpha and there's nowhere near as much there now.

UNCgolf

As others have stated here, the Living Seas in its original form was definitely not the best that EPCOT Center had to offer, and I think that the dark ride elements that were added alongside nemo were a welcome addition even if their execution wasn't the best.

I think the Living Seas in its original form was the best that EPCOT Center had to offer, at least in terms of a cohesive overall pavilion experience.

There were definitely better individual attractions, but as an integrated whole it was probably the most impressive thing at WDW. As I've said before, for young kids, it was truly immersive. I was absolutely blown away by it as a 6 year old and honestly believed we'd traveled to a station under the ocean.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I've only been on Nemo once, with no wait, and I can't imagine ever riding it again. It was that bad to me (as in one of the very worst rides at WDW), although I'll admit that part of the issue is likely comparing it with what used to be there -- the SeaCabs, as part of the overall SeaBase Alpha experience (with the hydrolaters, undersea base, etc.), were so much better than the Nemo ride that it's not even worth discussing. Projecting Nemo etc. into the tank with real fish was neat, though.

I think part of it is Turtle Talk -- I'm pretty sure they removed a lot when they installed it. As long as it's still popular with kids then that's not really a loss for the park overall, but it is a loss for older kids and adults who don't care about Turtle Talk.

I also remember a big wave tank that showed how waves form. I'm not sure when it was removed but it's definitely not there now.

I'd also like to hear from @marni1971 about what was once there and is now gone, though, because I feel like there were several other things that are now gone but I could just be misremembering. I'm almost 100% sure the amount of marine life has declined significantly, though -- last time I was there the main tank looked almost barren.
My podcast cohost suggested a Seas update (if you wanted to keep the IP) where the narrative shift focuses on Mr. Ray teaching the kids about the other animals in the ocean. That would be far more befitting to the pavilion. Having said that, my understanding (@marni1971 please confirm) that within the last 5 years there was a proposal to update the attraction with a flat out removal of Nemo.

Edit... he wasn't alone in that thinking:

UNCgolf

Having said that, my understanding (@marni1971 please confirm) that within the last 5 years there was a proposal to update the attraction with a flat out removal of Nemo.

While removing IP entirely would absolutely be my preference, that doesn't seem too likely under current management.

Having said that, I do wonder if all of the relativity recent Ellen DeGeneres information would make them more likely to eliminate Nemo from the pavilion, considering Dory is such an important character. They could get a soundalike to record new lines if they wanted to add her to something new, but I could certainly see Disney being so risk averse as to want to eliminate that character and I'm not sure Nemo works without her.

RSoxNo1

While removing IP entirely would absolutely be my preference, that doesn't seem too likely under current management.

Having said that, I do wonder if all of the relativity recent Ellen DeGeneres information would make them more likely to eliminate Nemo from the pavilion, considering Dory is such an important character. They could get a soundalike to record new lines if they wanted to add her to something new, but I could certainly see Disney being so risk averse as to want to eliminate that character and I'm not sure Nemo works without her.
I'm aware of two different long term plans for EPCOT that were being discussed prior to the 2017 D23 Expo. One of them had a $100 million budget allocated to The Living Seas with a description of "Virtual Tank / Hydrolators". The other plan simply had a description of Living Seas Enhancement.

Mac Tonight

I think we're all missing a very important point here... the best thing about SeaBase Alpha was when it was used as the backdrop of the smash 1994 Hulk Hogan show, Thunder in Paradise.

TIP_livingseas1.png

TIP_livingseas2.png

EP4-015-The-Living-Seas-Seabase-Alpha-viewing-tank.jpg

TikibirdLand

You literally just taught me there was a restaurant there. Had NO idea. 😂
Been there multiple times. 2 out of 5 stars. Very disappointed in the food quality every time we visited. And, we LOVE the atmosphere. But, the food was about as good as that served at The Rainforest Cafe. If you've ever had the chance to eat at one of Landry's Auquarium restaurants, you'd see the concept done well. Been to one in Houston and down at the Kemah boardwalk.

OvertheHorizon

I've also been there multiple times and watched the decline of food and service. My last visit was as a single individual. They couldn't wait to get me out of there, perhaps to make room for a larger party that would provide a greater tip. (I usually tip 20%, but then I'm only one person.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom