Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Go the new long way around and it’s legal. Probably an hour?
Oh, yeah...

1605932346286.png

1605932430871.png

1605932373474.png

.8 mil (16 min) + .2 mil (3 min) + 1 mile (21 min) +.1 mil (2 min) [for the bridges] =

2.1 mil (42 min)

lazyboy97o

I found the pathway concrete pour for an obvious western extension just north of the stationary bridge to be interesting.

Who would ever want to walk over to Floridian Way?

Rumored future resort path is my guess, or an expansion of GF (+villas) to the north.
It’s not interesting. The “extension” is an existing gravel road. It is easier and safer for both the walkway and gravel road for the transition between gravel and pavement to be perpendicular.

Last edited:

Creathir

It’s not interesting. The “extension” is an existing gravel road. It is easier and safer for both the walkway and gravel road for the transition between gravel and pavement to be perpendicular.
I disagree. They intentionally widened the concrete right there vs just bringing the gravel up to the edge of the path.

JoeCamel

I like that you are trying to picture future expansion but its only there to allow vehicles to access the concrete evenly, instead of coming in at a angle which could lead to damaging the concrete.
It allows emergency and construction vehicles to enter the path straight on as you say, might be a future connection but for now it serves as a protected entry point. They may have poured a few inches deeper in this area.

Over the years this area was used for vehicle access to the construction dock and I expect it to be in the future.

Movielover

It allows emergency and construction vehicles to enter the path straight on as you say, might be a future connection but for now it serves as a protected entry point. They may have poured a few inches deeper in this area.

Over the years this area was used for vehicle access to the construction dock and I expect it to be in the future.
Yeah you can find instances like this pretty much anywhere lol. A path connection would be the very last thing done for an expansion.

lazyboy97o

I disagree. They intentionally widened the concrete right there vs just bringing the gravel up to the edge of the path.
Bringing the gravel right up is a poor practice. There is actually a shape to gravel roads (slightly bowed to allow drainage) and it has to change (flatten out) to meet the hardscape. An angled approach is a more complex transition that is more prone to deformation and developing potholes. Potholes not only cause problems for the vehicles but they threaten the walkway itself by providing a path for flowing water underneath which would lead to sinking. A direct connection also results in more debris being spread onto the walkway itself which is a hazard to the pedestrians using the path.

nickys

Premium Member
Are they planning to install toll gates at the bridge?
Shhhh, don’t give them ideas!

troll gates....

That’s an upcharge event. It’ll be easy to maintain social distancing between guests and the trolls, the cupcakes can be brought from the GF on a cart, they just need a few tables with umbrellas to stand at and there you have it.

How long is the walk from TTC Parking to the Magic Kingdom via Poly and GF? 40 minutes?

About that. 10 minutes to the Poly, another 10-15 minutes to the GF (to allow for crossing the Poly grounds) and then 20 minutes to MK. I’d say 45 minutes at a reasonable pace with fresh legs. Longer coming back!

Go the new long way around and it’s legal. Probably an hour?

That was my thought too. It would be fine through the day.

My only question would be will they block the route early morning and late at night. Security on the Contemp to MK walkway has reportedly been stopping people in the morning, but whether you could run at say 6am al, the way round and back I don’t know. Ditto at the swing bridge, will they close that after hours?

Jon81uk

Thanks for that video! I only saw one nice rest area with a double bench. Maybe I missed other ones? It seems like an awfully long walk with only one bench area? IDK, but I think my legs wouldn't hold up for the extra walking. But it is a nice addition for those who can physically use it, and a beautiful walkway.

it’s not even a mile, most people should be able to manage that.

Minnesota disney fan

it’s not even a mile, most people should be able to manage that.
I think I read that from the GF it is .75 mile, and from the Poly it is 1.25 or .33? It would still be nice to have a couple more rests spots as not everyone is able to manage that amount of walking after the miles they walk at the parks. But, I guess it doesn't matter, because we don't stay at either resort. It just looked like a long, long way on the video:)

Disone

I think I read that from the GF it is .75 mile, and from the Poly it is 1.25 or .33? It would still be nice to have a couple more rests spots as not everyone is able to manage that amount of walking after the miles they walk at the parks. But, I guess it doesn't matter, because we don't stay at either resort. It just looked like a long, long way on the video:)
I've walked it. At an average pace of two miles an hour it took 16 minutes. From building 5 / Gasparilla at the Grand Floridian to the entrance of the new "dock 2" at the Magic Kingdom it is .67 of a mile.
Screenshot_2020-11-21-13-40-00.png

Soluna16

So I went last night and walked from Contemporary all the way around to the TTC. It was a bit shady at times in the night walking through the Poly construction and a weird path around the front of TTC security and we were asked twice where we were going. Took 1 hour 3 minutes with no stops and leisurely walking speed.

nickys

Premium Member
So I went last night and walked from Contemporary all the way around to the TTC. It was a bit shady at times in the night walking through the Poly construction and a weird path around the front of TTC security and we were asked twice where we were going. Took 1 hour 3 minutes with no stops and leisurely walking speed.
Cool! Don’t suppose you recorded it? 😉😁

At what kind of time was that? And where were you asked about your destination?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom