Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No. To do that they typically either pile up dirt on the location and let gravity do the work (commonly called surcharging) or mechanically compact the soil with a soil tamper or steam roller. A much more exciting method is called dynamic compaction. For this, a large weight is repeatedly dropped from a crane onto the are to compact the soil.

I think I saw Scrat use that technique in one of the Ice Age movies...

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Photo update 11/2/20

Swing bridge view from GF

04088078-869F-4A58-99B3-4BD31705524D.jpeg

Canal bridge

6AC0D539-7864-45C9-8B31-B3972F599BE1.jpeg

Walkway towards GF

4D07DEA1-2C19-444B-88E1-DE0EB6BEBAB2.jpeg

Walkway end at GF (left side of Sago Cay Lodge)

95F84EF4-9B79-4B94-897E-0D155822C062.jpeg

So the path from swing bridge to GF is complete. There is still some construction from the swing bridge to MK and the new boat dock is still under construction. The walkway likely won’t open until the dock is complete.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Is there a thread regarding the MK boat dock construction? I am curious about the changes they are making and the progress of the project.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

halltd

Ouch!!! What did they do to the fence with the giant white scallops? Why didn't they just leave it as a go away green fence and put some plantings around it? At least from that distance, it looks BAD!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So...almost 2 years for a footbridge?...
I hate to be rude, but why does it matter? It is not like they had guests piling up on opposite sides of the canal making this an absolute necessity.

I have been in construction for 25 years and there are a myriad of reasons why projects take the time that they do. Reasons can range from contractor to material availability to building as fast as possible due to a construction loan or stretching it out to spread the expense over multiple quarters.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
yes...lol. You can build a 5 story apartment building in less than a year... This was a footbridge on an already existing walkway.

Actually, the walkway was rebuilt from scratch.

It was also delayed thrice:
  1. COVID... the cessation of all work everywhere
  2. Basketball Bubble... was ready to open, but then the DVC guests would have to walk through the NBA bubble
  3. Ferry Launch construction... a temporary walkway was put in place to avoid the Ferry Launch construction, but, by the time the walkway was ready to open, the launch construction was far enough along that they decided to ditch the temporary walkway and just wait until they could complete the permanent walkway past the launch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom