New Roundup Rodeo BBQ sit-down restaurant coming to TSL

ToTBellHop

Let's see if this helps - Here's a chart showing the Toy Story toys to scale with each other.

View attachment 640749

Woody, according to Pixar, is about 15 Inches Tall. Rex, as we can plainly see here and in the movie, is a bigger toy overall.

Here's a picture from Toy Story Land, where Rex stands on a Jenga Tower. A Jenga block is about 3 inches long. Rex is clearly much bigger than a Jenga block in the movies, but here he's too small to be the Rex we see in the movies, even though he's absolutely supposed to be:

View attachment 640750

Now, this is just one example, but Toy Story Land is FULL of scale issues like this. Since the whole idea they decided on is that we're supposed to be shrunk to the size of a Green Army Man, you'd think Disney would have paid attention to make things the right size relative to that. Instead, they didn't at all. Why? Because it was cheaper not to and they didn't think it mattered.

All of the problems in Toy Story Land - the lack of shade, benches, AC, sufficient seating at the Lunch Box, theming, capacity - come down to Disney being cheap and thinking it wouldn't matter. That it shows up even in elements like this just shows how deep the problem runs.

This land was designed as if they didn't care, and it shows.
I think theme park aesthetics matters more here than you armed with a ruler. Rex to the scale used in the movies would look ridiculous here. He’d be like 5x longer than he is here.

But we aren’t going to agree on this. I’ll just keep on enjoying the land (and not eating in the land because there aren’t enough tables and that’s a legitimate issue) and you’ll keep on being upset. Enjoy.

yensidtlaw1969

I think theme park aesthetics matters more here than you armed with a ruler. Rex to the scale used in the movies would look ridiculous here. He’d be like 5x longer than he is here.

But we aren’t going to agree on this. I’ll just keep on enjoying the land (and not eating in the land because there aren’t enough tables and that’s a legitimate issue) and you’ll keep on being upset. Enjoy.
Right, because unlike you *I* burst into tears when I walk into the land.

No way I could just enjoy it for what it is while I'm there, but still recognize that this one element (that I've only had to belabor because so many people simply refuse to comprehend what's actually being said) is a symptom of larger problems in the land and the company.

How will I ever make up for all the sleep I've lost over Rex being too small? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Again, that toys are different sizes is not the issue. If you built a play set for your 6” Marvel action figures your 12” Spider-Man isn’t going to fit. You might still play with both at the same time, but that 12” Spider-Man won’t magically shrink down to 6” nor is that a conceit of the Toy Story films.
What you miss is, it isn't the point. Kids play with toys of multiple sizes and don't pay attention to that. Nor do adults when kids are playing.

Lets be honest here, some would complain if all the figures were the same size due to it being boring and too copyish.

I am not saying TSL is perfect. It could use more seating, it could definitely use more shade, and with this restaurant they are addressing they need more food options in the land. If they could add one more family friendly ride that would be great as well.

But to harp over and over about varying sizes of figures is..... sad?

yensidtlaw1969

What you miss is, it isn't the point. Kids play with toys of multiple sizes and don't pay attention to that. Nor do adults when kids are playing.

Lets be honest here, some would complain if all the figures were the same size due to it being boring and too copyish.

I am not saying TSL is perfect. It could use more seating, it could definitely use more shade, and with this restaurant they are addressing they need more food options in the land. If they could add one more family friendly ride that would be great as well.

But to harp over and over about varying sizes of figures is..... sad?
We wouldn't be harping on it if people weren't being willfully obtuse to the larger point.

Phicinfan

Let's see if this helps - Here's a chart showing the Toy Story toys to scale with each other.

View attachment 640749

Woody, according to Pixar, is about 15 Inches Tall. Rex, as we can plainly see here and in the movie, is a bigger toy overall.

Here's a picture from Toy Story Land, where Rex stands on a Jenga Tower. A Jenga block is about 3 inches long. Rex is clearly much bigger than a Jenga block in the movies, but here he's too small to be the Rex we see in the movies, even though he's absolutely supposed to be:

View attachment 640750

Now, this is just one example, but Toy Story Land is FULL of scale issues like this. Since the whole idea they decided on is that we're supposed to be shrunk to the size of a Green Army Man, you'd think Disney would have paid attention to make things the right size relative to that. Instead, they didn't at all. Why? Because it was cheaper not to and they didn't think it mattered.

All of the problems in Toy Story Land - the lack of shade, benches, AC, sufficient seating at the Lunch Box, theming, capacity - come down to Disney being cheap and thinking it wouldn't matter. That it shows up even in elements like this just shows how deep the problem runs.

This land was designed as if they didn't care, and it shows.
So let me get this straight. The issue of size is that they didn't keep the same dimensional status as the actual toys in comparison with each other due to some chart?

No, we are not petty in this forum at all....

Not all toys remain the same size in every variation folks, it happens.

I do agree with the bolded though. although they are adding seating for Lunch Box, they are adding more food with the restaurant this thread is about. So it is in progress at least.

yensidtlaw1969

So let me get this straight. The issue of size is that they didn't keep the same dimensional status as the actual toys in comparison with each other due to some chart?

I do agree with the bolded though. although they are adding seating for Lunch Box, they are adding more food with the restaurant this thread is about. So it is in progress at least.

No, it couldn't be you are being too petty huh?

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Not sure what moral highground you think you stand on as the guy who showed up one page ago, couldn't be bothered to read the thread, asked to have the point to be explained to him, and now assumes he knows better than everyone what's being said.

lazyboy97o

What toy is capable of completely changing its size?

No, it couldn't be you are being too petty huh?
Scale is a pretty basic aspect of design. It’s something people use as trivia. This is a land Disney said would be as immersive as Cars Land. Merlin, which builds entire parks for what Disney now spends on single attractions, has a strict scale they enforce at their Legoland properties.

yensidtlaw1969

At this point it seems clear that this is willful ignorance. People touch on the actual point but then immediately deflect and are now lashing out instead of just admitting what they know to be true.
It really is just stunning, considering most of us are actually basically agreeing on the core point here. If only people would take the minute or two to slow down and see that.

Phicinfan

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Not sure what moral highground you think you stand on as the guy who showed up one page ago, couldn't be bothered to read the thread, asked to have the point to be explained to him, and now assumes he knows better than everyone what's being said.
My opinion is as valid as your if not more so. You can pout all you want. Calling folks obtuse because some disagree with your ridiculous point of view is petty.

Casper Gutman

Oh, for the love of...

It's not just the toys. The scale is off on EVERYTHING in the land. The fence, the footprints, the foliage, the dimensions of the yard itself, the popsicle-stick benches, the game boards, and on and on and ON.

The net result is that there is absolutely no sense, none whatsoever, that you are shrunk to the size of toys. It's not an intellectual response - its how the land FEELS. And that feeling, that you are the size of toys, is the entire POINT of the land. The fact that that doesn't work means the land doesn't work. If the designers couldn't come up with a way to create that sensation, the entire land should never have been built. The poor layout, lack of shade and seating - those are all major, credible complaints, but they are secondary to the fact that the entire land fails at the most basic level, that of FEELING.

It is possible to create the sensation of being shrunken. Disney did it, in the same park, with the vastly superior Honey I Shrunk playground. That area created a sensation, a FEELING, that TSL lacks completely.

Before TSL was announced for Florida, the version of the land at other resorts was almost universally reviled and mocked on these board. Hey, WDW may do some stupid stuff, but at least they never built a TSL here! As soon as the land was announced for WDW, however, quite a few posters decided TSL now had to be vociferously defended.

yensidtlaw1969

For your edification, here's a quick recap:

Me: Toy Story Land's issues run so deep that they even managed to make a land of toys look weirdly barren.

Poster #1: We'll, it's supposed to look like a Backyard, what do you expect?

Me: The old Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground made a backyard look fun - and they cared so much they even got the scale right.

Poster #2: Yeah, the scale in Toy Story Land is all over the place

Poster #1: What do you mean?

Me: I mean that these particular things that should be smaller are too big, and vice-versa.

Poster #1: Well, some things SHOULD be bigger than other things.

Me: Well, yes, but here it's the wrong things.

Poster #3: I don't understand? Explain??

Me: *Explains*

Poster #3: *Still Misunderstanding*

You: I just showed up, but *I* also don't understand?

Me: *Explains yet again, but now with diagrams*

Poster #4: Umm, Toy Story Land has BIGGER ISSUES than this SCALE thing

Me: That was my point, but people kept misunderstanding the scale thing, so I kept explaining.

You: JEEZE, you're just HUNG UP on this SCALE thing, let it GO, you're so PETTY.

Me: *Annoyed* . . . you've missed the point.

You: MY OPINION IS MORE VALID THAN YOURS

. . . See why that might be frustrating?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

My opinion is as valid as your if not more so. You can pout all you want. Calling folks obtuse because some disagree with your ridiculous point of view is petty.
The lack of a consistent scale is not a matter of opinion. It either is consistent or it is not. Whether or not you care is an opinion, but it is separate from the discussion of the consistency of the scale.

You called people petty for discussing scale. You Liked posts calls people angry for discussing scale. Don’t try to play victim. You have now repeatedly dismissed the discussion of scale and used irrelevant examples. You either don’t actually understand or understand perfectly well and are choosing to make disingenuous comments to discredit the “petty” discussion.

Anteater

The lack of a consistent scale is not a matter of opinion. It either is consistent or it is not. Whether or not you care is an opinion, but it is separate from the discussion of the consistency of the scale.

You called people petty for discussing scale. You Liked posts calls people angry for discussing scale. Don’t try to play victim. You have now repeatedly dismissed the discussion of scale and used irrelevant examples. You either don’t actually understand or understand perfectly well and are choosing to make disingenuous comments to discredit the “petty” discussion.
Makes you wish for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playscape again, huh? Just add a kiddie coaster and a spinner; you'd be all set!

ToTBellHop

Sometimes you just have to say, “it’s cute that the benches are made of popsickle sticks and the queue rails are made of K’nex without pulling out a ruler to measure scale. Railings have to be at railing height and benches are a pretty standard size.

It’s a theme park.

When they go hyper-realistic, like SWGE, we complain that they should have had more fun.

After a couple decades here, I conclude: they build. We complain. Every damn time.

Imagine if there were these boards in 1994. Someone here would have been complaining about the impossible structure of the front of the Tower of Terror even though it is widely regarded as one of WDI’s greatest accomplishments and among the top 5 most-iconic WDW rides.

Kamikaze

For your edification, here's a quick recap:

. . . See why that might be frustrating?
You know that you don't have to explain it to everyone, right?

If you hate it that much, thats fine, hate it, but you can't make everyone else hate it.

And if they don't/won't understand why you hate it, then just move on. You're not responsible for educating or enlightening anyone.

yensidtlaw1969

Sometimes you just have to say, “it’s cute that the benches are made of popsickle sticks and the queue rails are made of K’nex without pulling out a ruler to measure scale. Railings have to be at railing height and benches are a pretty standard size.

It’s a theme park.

When they go hyper-realistic, like SWGE, we complain that they should have had more fun.

After a couple decades here, I conclude: they build. We complain. Every damn time.

Imagine if there were these boards in 1994. Someone here would have been complaining about the impossible structure of the front of the Tower of Terror even though it is widely regarded as one of WDI’s greatest accomplishments and among the top 5 most-iconic WDW rides.
I mean . . . people do complain about that impossible structure. In fact, Imagineering made the point to fix it on the later version of Tower. Almost like someone took pride in getting things right because the guests might notice otherwise.

No one's going through Toy Story Land with a measuring tape - the scale is that wrong that it can simply be percieved with the eye.

But I'll say for what must be the 12th time in the last 24 hours, the only reason it even came up is because the land fails on so many basic levels. If everything else were fixed, the scale would still be all over the place. And if the scale were fixed the rest of the land would still be all over the place. The place is that poorly designed.

THAT is the issue. THAT's what we care about. That Disney has so little respect now for the audience that they let aaaalll those problems with Toy Story Land slide - the big ones AND the small ones. The same company that came to prominence precisely because they cared about taking care of the big things AND the small things. They didn't get any of it right. And it still cost a fortune.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom