News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

DoleWhipDrea

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but do we know if Edna is a screen or an animatronic? I would've guessed she would have been a screen but the fact she has a shadow makes me believe otherwise.

View attachment 514385
No confirmation yet as to Edna’s “Mode” of being.

Sorry, I just had to 😂

The tricky thing with the concept art from PLAY! is that it’s difficult to tell just exactly how some of the characters will be seen in the pavilion. For some of the games, it’s obvious that they’ll be in screens, while others seem to suggest a more physical presence. My guess is that a lot of the pavilion will be a glorified meet and greet combined into a modern version of DisneyQuest.

I’m hoping for an Edna figure, as she’s going to host this show and talk. But it’s also very easy for Disney in this instance to pick a cheaper alternative, and if the Incredicoaster was any indicator of how much Disney is actually willing to invest in this character in the parks, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Having a masked character at this show would be slightly problematic in that guests would want to take photos with her after, and it would be strange to have her end the show and come off the stage and not talk. Granted, they could try something similar to the jedi show in DHS where Vader has some pre-recorded lines, but it won’t be as convincing seeing her face yet not having her mouth move.

... I really wish we were getting an updated Wonders of Life instead of this.

Dragonman

So speaking of Wonders of Life, EPCOT's VP happened to have a framed photo of Buzzy on her desk during last night's D23 presentation. I know it's a silly thing to make anything of, but I wouldn't give up hope. The pavilion clearly isn't forgotten by certain higher ups. Maybe someday.

Maybe it’s also a reminder for them to keep his situation in fresh eyes.

FigmentFan82

I don't recall, did this pavilion have any phase 2 plans that would capitalize on the spaces where Body Wars and Cranium Command were? Or is it just using the inner dome space for the foreseeable future?

Tavernacle12

I don't recall, did this pavilion have any phase 2 plans that would capitalize on the spaces where Body Wars and Cranium Command were? Or is it just using the inner dome space for the foreseeable future?

I could be wrong, but I believe an insider here said that those areas would not be used while it was still the Play Pavilion. Play is a bit of a long term bandaid and a decade or more down the line it’d be redone in a new theme to use those areas.

But again I could be misremembering and presumably all long term plans now are in limbo.

DreamfinderGuy

If memory serves the majority of the Cranium Command space will become cast space for Play, and Body Wars will remain under EPCOT events' control.

DonniePeverley

Was a bit shocked at the areas closed at Epcot yesterday, loads of walls around that looked horrific.

Is this the area we are referring to in this thread?

If so, when and how long will these horrific looking eye sores will last till the area is built up ?

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Was a bit shocked at the areas closed at Epcot yesterday, loads of walls around that looked horrific.

Is this the area we are referring to in this thread?

If so, when and how long will these horrific looking eye sores will last till the area is built up ?
Who knows? This is Disney 2020, where it takes longer to tear down half of Innoventions than it took to build the whole park in the early-1980’s and where you’ll perpetually be invited to eat and experience Space 220 next Winter!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Their source is that it was left out of a brochure. Not exactly worthy of publication. If it’s indefinitely paused but still happening, you’d leave it out too.

What?!?! They will leave no stone unturned in their quest to bring us breaking Disney news! Pay no attention to the fact that they will take anything, no matter how small, insignificant, and/or untrue, and blow it up into “BREAKING NEWS!!!” to placate a certain someone’s ego.

SplashJacket

I saw this figurine in a video tour of the Garner Holt Productions facility located in San Bernardino. For context, they have worked with Disney on dozens of projects such as Mystic Manor and Radiator Springs Racers.
1607717454559.png

To me, the figure resembles Hiro from Big Hero 6 and makes me think of the emoji faces seen in the Play Pavilion concept art.

1607717896548.png
1607717900174.png
1607717903643.png

I am probably way off, but in the age of Covid, it's something to talk about.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom