News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

M:SpilotISTC12

I would be happy if they just cancelled Play! and put the money into Mary Poppins or a Coco Overlay for Mexico...Until a more creative team can be assembled to put something amazing (not place-holding) for that beautiful building.
It is hard to fathom that after 40 years EPCOT would have fewer attractions than 30 years ago and would begin tearing down buildings rather than fill them with fresh content...
Maybe they can make it a new festival pavilion! Could use another one!

matt9112

Maybe they can make it a new festival pavilion! Could use another one!

This is satire right? Since thats already what it is? The play pavilion idea was a sad shot in the dark anyway. Sadly at this point i think its time to bulldoze and reimagine...

Wonder of imagineering are even capable of a concept that dosen't have a Disney movie attached to it.

M:SpilotISTC12

This is satire right? Since thats already what it is? The play pavilion idea was a sad shot in the dark anyway. Sadly at this point i think its time to bulldoze and reimagine...

Wonder of imagineering are even capable of a concept that dosen't have a Disney movie attached to it.
It was most definitely sarcasm.

cookiee_munster

So much could be done with that pavilion without having to tear it down...And something meaningful too. ..not a placeholder Wii showroom and selfie spot. It needs to be the headliner pavilion with a major attraction that it once was.
Exactly. Rather than going through the rigmarole of spending ages tearing something down to then spend ages building something totally new, they just need to find something better to go into that space. What they have in-store does seem awfully none permanent, so maybe there's something else in the works for that area some time down the line....

Brer Oswald

I would be happy if they just cancelled Play! and put the money into Mary Poppins or a Coco Overlay for Mexico...Until a more creative team can be assembled to put something amazing (not place-holding) for that beautiful building.
It is hard to fathom that after 40 years EPCOT would have fewer attractions than 30 years ago and would begin tearing down buildings rather than fill them with fresh content...
Would a Coco overlay add capacity? Surely, it could be a more fitting addition to the park. But as is, the Three Cabs ride is an adequate use of space, while the large empty gold dome is not.

But you are right. The Play concept is very unlikely to amount to anything that is significantly unique or worthwhile. It sounds like borderline filler. Meet and greets, play areas, intereactive video mini games? I would be more open to this if it was coming with a main attraction.

castlecake2.0

Would a Coco overlay add capacity? Surely, it could be a more fitting addition to the park. But as is, the Three Cabs ride is an adequate use of space, while the large empty gold dome is not.

But you are right. The Play concept is very unlikely to amount to anything that is significantly unique or worthwhile. It sounds like borderline filler. Meet and greets, play areas, intereactive video mini games? I would be more open to this if it was coming with a main attraction.
You’re right, this is already operating very efficiently. Adding coco would just create more chaos to the pavilion. That queue can only hold about a 10 min wait. This was a fatal design flaw for frozen that they didn’t plan for/chose to ignore.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member

I’m in the small minority that thinks Three Caballeros is more fitting (not that it couldn’t be done better too) because it was created as part of a goodwill mission to Mexico and our other neighbors South as well as to be educational, both of which I think are closer in the spirit of the park. I like Coco and would be up for something fresh with it going in the WoL pavilion or elsewhere, but it seems like the whole “Dia de Los Muertos” thing was more of a small regional thing before James Bond and eventually Coco made it a widespread commercial holiday (Mexico City started its parade because of James Bond not the other way around). Again, I get it, I’m in a minority on not wanting the Mexico pavilion overlay.

All sentiment aside, as just a practical issue and as folks have pointed out, I don’t think Disney would do the overlay because there would be nowhere to put the queue without closing down the restaurant and half (or more) of the shopping inside. As it stands, it gets enough people to go through and fill up boats now without frequently overwhelming the building, they couldn’t do that if Coco were put in place and would be better served putting something in for that IP elsewhere.

MKeeler

I've come to the realization that the Play! pavilion is just being put in the wrong park, and were that corrected, it would improve on the surrounding land in each park.

To me, you put the Play! pavilion in the Carousel of Progress building in Tomorrowland and you put the Carousel of Progress into the Wonders of Life building as a new World of Progress pavilion. This way, with the Tron coaster and the rumored Wreck it Ralph attraction, Tomorrowland could easily embrace a cyberpunk aesthetic fairly easily that would greatly strengthen the land. Space Mountain goes down for its much needed rehab and track replacement and can come back with a CyberSpace Mountain overlay. The Speedway gets either a Tron-esque or Sugar Rush overlay. A little handwaving on Buzz and Monsters. Then lots of accent lighting and a ElecTRONica party at night. To me, that land is stronger than what is there now and the Play! pavilion would be a great benefit.

Carousel in Epcot helps cement the identity of Future World to the World's Fair that always will be, by adding another of Walt's 1964 World's Fair attractions to the park (Test Track being the spiritual and architectural successor to the Magic Skyway, and American Adventure the spiritual successor to Lincoln). This is the same reason why it's a small world would work better at Epcot.

Bocabear

I've come to the realization that the Play! pavilion is just being put in the wrong park, and were that corrected, it would improve on the surrounding land in each park.

To me, you put the Play! pavilion in the Carousel of Progress building in Tomorrowland and you put the Carousel of Progress into the Wonders of Life building as a new World of Progress pavilion. This way, with the Tron coaster and the rumored Wreck it Ralph attraction, Tomorrowland could easily embrace a cyberpunk aesthetic fairly easily that would greatly strengthen the land. Space Mountain goes down for its much needed rehab and track replacement and can come back with a CyberSpace Mountain overlay. The Speedway gets either a Tron-esque or Sugar Rush overlay. A little handwaving on Buzz and Monsters. Then lots of accent lighting and a ElecTRONica party at night. To me, that land is stronger than what is there now and the Play! pavilion would be a great benefit.

Carousel in Epcot helps cement the identity of Future World to the World's Fair that always will be, by adding another of Walt's 1964 World's Fair attractions to the park (Test Track being the spiritual and architectural successor to the Magic Skyway, and American Adventure the spiritual successor to Lincoln). This is the same reason why it's a small world would work better at Epcot.
That is a bold idea...and a good one. I was always thinking that they should have an Imagineering pavilion in EPCOT and tie the park to Walt's Worlds Fair park and include the Carousel Of Progress as the Pavilion Finale... Re-create the tower of the winds in the forecourt... add one other attraction to it along with a model-heavy museum...it would definitely be a must-do!

cookiee_munster

THIS! all of it!!! :D

apart from: they replace the speedway with aquatopia instead:p

Epcot82Guy

That is a bold idea...and a good one. I was always thinking that they should have an Imagineering pavilion in EPCOT and tie the park to Walt's Worlds Fair park and include the Carousel Of Progress as the Pavilion Finale... Re-create the tower of the winds in the forecourt... add one other attraction to it along with a model-heavy museum...it would definitely be a must-do!
I still don't know why Imagination isn't sponsored by Imagineering. Redone version of the original, Blue Sky Loft being a redo of the Imageworks to focus on designing rides and similar tech and then a showcase of upcoming attractions and a behind the scenes film (updated regularly) in Magic Eye.

Brer Oswald

I’m in the small minority that thinks Three Caballeros is more fitting (not that it couldn’t be done better too) because it was created as part of a goodwill mission to Mexico and our other neighbors South as well as to be educational, both of which I think are closer in the spirit of the park. I like Coco and would be up for something fresh with it going in the WoL pavilion or elsewhere, but it seems like the whole “Dia de Los Muertos” thing was more of a small regional thing before James Bond and eventually Coco made it a widespread commercial holiday (Mexico City started its parade because of James Bond not the other way around). Again, I get it, I’m in a minority on not wanting the Mexico pavilion overlay.

All sentiment aside, as just a practical issue and as folks have pointed out, I don’t think Disney would do the overlay because there would be nowhere to put the queue without closing down the restaurant and half (or more) of the shopping inside. As it stands, it gets enough people to go through and fill up boats now without frequently overwhelming the building, they couldn’t do that if Coco were put in place and would be better served putting something in for that IP elsewhere.
Anyone that has actually watched both films (and paid attention) would be able to tell you that Three Caballeros has much more educational merit than Coco. Cultural dances, music, and real traditions are all covered in the film. The music in particular isn't even original. They are actual Brazilian and Mexican songs, some of which had lyrical tweaks to fit the scenes in the film. I am sure most of us here already know this, but even the titular song wasn't created for the film.

It just so happens that, for the ride, they chose to base it on is the least educational and the most politically incorrect scene of the film, the scene where Donald chases after the women on the beach. Except the ride just has him touring the country instead of chasing anyone, which I guess makes it a bit more reflective of the pavilion. I have no doubt that, if they went with Coco, it would have as little educational merit to the actual country as the ride does now. Perhaps even less so if they made the backgrounds animated. It would probably be all about the film's music. At least now it is technically playing an actual Mexican song.

Brer Oswald

I've thought about that. The Progressland Pavilion was dome-like. All you would have to do would be a repaint and some lights to get somewhere close.

1634080592343.png

J4546

if they made PLay into a massive imax style theater using the domed ceiling that would be cool imo. If they played outer spcae stuff as well, i like outer space haha. 30 minute imax shows about outerspace would be awesome imo

Rich Brownn

I've thought about that. The Progressland Pavilion was dome-like. All you would have to do would be a repaint and some lights to get somewhere close.

View attachment 593115
The Carousel was just 1/3 of the pavilion though (It was on the second floor). It was HUGE. (There was a show in the dome, an atom splitter on the way down, and the usual "GE products of today" showcase on the ground floor).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom