News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

kevlightyear

You can think of it as a trade-off between sacrificing the look of the structure for the pay-off of the effect. If the effect is good enough, the sacrifice is worth it. This is all subject to personal opinion of course. If you see the lights as objectionable under any circumstances, then no effect is worth it. But I think the general public will find the sacrifice minimal and the pay-off remarkable.

It's not too dissimilar from the cinderella castle dream lights. The effect is cool enough (for most people?) that it's worth draping the castle in trashy wires for a few months. Those lights look dreadful up close during the day, but blend in better from far away. Also similarly, adding these lights to SSE isn't physically destructive so removing them will be an easier affair whenever that time comes.

I'm really excited to see these lights in action.

Lil Copter Cap

Clearly, they are noticeable enough to get attention (re: photos here on wdwmagic and elsewhere), but they plug the open holes that currently exist on the outside structure and I welcome this change. Dare I say that they add a more complete look than leaving the holes open/exposed?

Once entirely distributed amongst the structure, it will bring cohesion in visual design as opposed to the current holes that are comprised of either a blackhole, inner support beams, or chipped points from the triangles. (Which I recognize is another conversation entirely on upkeep, or the lack thereof.)

Father Robinson

20210414_071738.pngThese things remind me of the robot, "Jinx" from the 1986 film, "Space Camp".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m implying Martin, and by extention everyone else on the boards, including me, needs to do that. So yeah, I will.
Don’t you worry I will. When they let me.

“Look”’is half the problem. Blocked sight lines are the other. Although I also trust the opinion of a lot of local friends and cast who’ve given me theirs too.

I know how big these things are. I’ve seen what they look like close up.

Last edited:

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No

“Look”’is half the problem. Blocked sight lines are the other. Although I also trust the opinion of a lot of local friends and cast who’ve given me theirs too.

I have the slight benefit of being local, so while I may get to see them first, it doesn’t mean much on your opinion.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Are we still taking about the polka dots on SSE?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Cripes, standing underneath, it'll probably seem like you could simply jump up and slap one of them on.
Am I supposed to be in a rage about something that *probably* will *seem* to be a slight protrusion on a sphere with many protrusions and large black holes where the shingles don't seemlessly meet as it is right now?

It seems I can probably jump up and put my fists through those gaping holes.

Last edited:

Father Robinson

I'm I supposed to be in a rage about something that *probably* will *seem* to be a slight protrusion on a sphere with many protrusions and large black holes where the shingles don't seemlessly meet as it is right now?

It seems I can probably jump up and put my fists through those gaping holes.
To each their own I guess. I myself am not in a rage, that's a bit extreme. But so far, I'm not a fan at all of how these look. "Seamless" my foot.

Amused to Death

"Seamless" my foot.

Just think. They could have installed projectors, and instead of dazzling us with blinking snap-on lights, they could shine 165-foot close-ups of Elsa and Anna our way... simultaneously negating the need to trash World Showcase Lagoon with taco-shaped sports arena LED signage to do the same on a much smaller scale. No, I'm not being entirely serious. Or am I? 😆

Father Robinson

Just think. They could have installed projectors, and instead of dazzling us with blinking snap-on lights, they could shine 165-foot close-ups of Elsa and Anna our way... simultaneously negating the need to trash World Showcase Lagoon with taco-shaped sports arena LED signage to do the same on a much smaller scale. No, I'm not being entirely serious. Or am I? 😆
Well, let's assume for a second that (hidden) projectors are capable of projecting images and designs that have nothing to do with Disney IP...

Amused to Death

Well, let's assume for a second that (hidden) projectors are capable of projecting images and designs that have nothing to do with Disney IP...

Oh, I agree. I'm also of the opinion that Disney goes out of their way to be tacky with most things. You don't need to throw 4,193 different images onto the castle all at once. Less is more.

What's wrong with Spaceship Earth as it is? How many millions of night-time photos has it appeared in because people have spent 39 years thinking it was/is already a beautiful sight to behold?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom