News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know they might look more obvious if they're placed on the bottom,
There is a lot... *a lot*... of infrastructure that one can see by getting up close to stuff.

Get up close to a copse of bushes and trees? One gets to see speakers, pipes, access hatches galore. It's not just a nice bit of landscaping.

Every bit of lighting looks like... light installations... when seen up close.

This isn't an argument for sloppy or lazy attempts to hide infrastructure that fails obviously. But if anyone wants to find fault because they can see light fixtures by getting up real close to them, then they will be continually disappointed. I'd hate to point out to them the joints in the concrete walkways...

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Guys. Deep breaths. This is really not something worth getting annoyed about.
A fun thing about opinions is that we get to have different ones. I think these are unsightly and that the Harmonous barges will probably look fine and perhaps even pleasant once switched on. The consensus opinion here is the opposite on both counts.

Oh well sometimes we disagree, but don’t presume to tell me what I should or shouldn’t get annoyed about. It’s my damn opinions.

Horizons1

There is a lot... *a lot*... of infrastructure that one can see by getting up close to stuff.

Get up close to a copse of bushes and trees? One gets to see speakers, pipes, access hatches galore. It's not just a nice bit of landscaping.

Every bit of lighting looks like... light installations... when seen up close.

This isn't an argument for sloppy or lazy attempts to hide infrastructure that fails obviously. But if anyone wants to find fault because they can see light fixtures by getting up real close to them, then they will be continually disappointed. I'd hate to point out to them the joints in the concrete walkways...
TELEPHOTO LENS!!!

Father Robinson

As much as I feel projection is totally overused, this is one case where I feel (since it's supposedly permanent) it could've definitely benefited from projection mapping.

For one, just the installation of these little dudes is ridiculously laborious.

And when one goes out does that ruin the effect all around it?

I for one am a Disney purist. I don't like them messing with things like the exterior of SSE. I know a lot of you have said you need to be really close to see them..not if you know they're there, then they become obvious quick. I don't want SSE looking like it's the New Years Eve ball. Keep it as is and project your light show on it.

And is this light effect programmable or once it's programmed that's it?

Just my opinion. Again, this is coming from a Disney purist for things like park icons.

And also, these are NOT "seamless".

Last edited:

artvandelay

As much as I feel projection is totally overused, this is one case where I feel (since it's supposedly permanent) it could've definitely benefited from projection mapping.

For one, just the installation of these little dudes is ridiculously laborious.

And when one goes out does that ruin the effect all around it?

I for one am a Disney purist. I don't like them messing with things like the exterior of SSE. I know a lot of you have said you need to be really close to see them..not if you know they're there, then they become obvious quick. I don't want SSE looking like it's the New Years Eve ball. Keep it as is and project your light show on it.

And is this light effect programmable or once it's programmed that's it?

Just my opinion. Again, this is coming from a Disney purist for things like park icons.

And also, these are NOT "seamless".
I would think these are reprogrammable. These lights should be networked to a lighting console. A lighting designer and a programmer will create multiple looks that can be changed with a couple of keystrokes. It should be simple.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would think these are reprogrammable. These lights should be networked to a lighting console. A lighting designer and a programmer will create multiple looks that can be changed with a couple of keystrokes. It should be simple.
If they can communicate with one another in a neural net, then the time will come when they fly off with SSE to establish their own robotic colony on the moon.

disreport

Honest question...does anyone else (who's visited the park) feel the entrance plaza is a bit of a let down? I don't know if it's because the trees are barren atm, but I just expected more "color" and warmth. I think a lot of this has to do with the transition from the red to tan-ish concrete they went to. I don't know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom