News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Rundown on the new Entrance BGM

Soundtrack from DisneyNature's Dolphin Reef by Steven Price. Obvious why it was chosen. Steven Price is an award winning composer of many famous movie soundtracks. Tracks:
  • Echo Fires Up Another
  • A Different Set of Rules

Soundtrack from Our Planet, a Netflix product by, again, Steven Price. Tracks:
  • The Ocean Belongs to Us All
  • The Ocean Returns the Favor
  • Seasonal Seas
  • A Greater Resilience
  • The Numbers Build
  • An Ingenious Technique

Two Steps From Hell is a music production company specializing in soundtracks, such as for Pirates of the Caribbean. Tracks used are:
  • From the Album "Archangel" -- Nero
  • From the Album "Two Steps from Heaven" -- She's a Superhero; Beyond the Horizon

Mark Petrie: has written music for Guardians of the Galaxy; Avengers: Infinity War; Oz the Great and Powerful; Tomorrowland; Alice Through the Looking Glass; The BFG; Venom. Tracks used were published by Mark on Soundcloud, not from a soundtrack
  • Transform
  • Eternal Beauty
  • Beauty Within
  • Reach the Sky

From the same collection of "Optimistic Themes 3" on which we get Mark Petrie's music is a track by Clinton Rusich...
  • Finding Your Way

From the soundtrack of The Greatest Game Ever Played (a Buena Vista film about golf), comes Brian Tyler's track. Brian Tyler has also composed music for Iron Man 3; Avengers Age of Ultron.
  • The Game is Afoot

From the soundtrack of Saving Mr. Banks by Thomas Newman, who also composed for Finding Nemo, WALL-E:
  • The Magic Kingdom

From, the best I can tell, a Soundcloud artist(s) called "Up, Moxie" is the downtempo track...
  • The Fall

And another composer, Terry Devine-King, who's done a lot of soundtracks for movies and TV, but none very famous or for Disney:
  • Nebula (from album Galaxies Collide)
  • Rise of Champions

Father Robinson

Here's my thought on the new entrance music loop. While it certainly is nice and lacks non-EPCOT-IP (thank God), what I don't like is that doesn't include anything from the attractions inside the park. The original 82 loop had a combination of original and pavilion interpretations. The 2001 loop had basically all attraction music (with the exception of "Legacy" which certainly encompassed that area of the park with the LoL stones, the legacy stripes on the legs of SSE..)

This new loop has nothing but EPCOT-feeling music, which by itself is fine, but not for WDW's second door IMO.

Magic Kingdom's entrance loop is a perfect blend of the (coming attractions) that you'll encounter inside the park. Very reminiscent of premiere night lobby music. EPCOT used to be like that too which was great.

I see people arguing that a lot of things in the parks use commercially available tracks, and they do, there's nothing wrong with that. Individual locations within the parks that don't have their own theme music benefit a great deal from commercial music. But I think the entrance music which IMO is supposed to represent what you'll find within, should be a little more all-encompassing. The previous loop even included the American Adventure theme which naturally tied in to World Showcase.

So while I think the tracks they chose are fine and certainly fit the mood, I am disappointed that there wasn't more thought put into it given how amazing the entrance is now and how much went into that.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

So the reports say that in the arrival plaza/ticketing & security area/bus depot, the previous loop is still playing. If this stays true it reminds me of MKs musical set up. In their arrival plaza you have music from the attractions, but then Main Street has its own themed loop for the area. Maybe that’s what they’re going for here as well. They want to differentiate the arrival area from the gardens in front of Spaceship Earth, and one way to do that is through music. Just a thought!

lazyboy97o

I had a somewhat similar thought -- as much as I love this new entrance, it may actually make the experience of the park itself just a little worse (for me personally; not for everyone). The entrance reminds me of EPCOT in its heyday when it was full of amazing pavilions/attractions and optimism for the future. It will be disappointing to go through that entrance and then come out into the park that actually exists today instead of the one that entrance suggests.
This is clearly on purpose and the great hypocrisy of the “new” Epcot. It’s wrapped up in the image of EPCOT Center. You’re supposed to think of EPCOT Center and it’s grand vision and think New Epcot is just like and even better than EPCOT Center Classic. But we’re also told EPCOT Center was a failure of an idea that had to change.

Goofyernmost

This is clearly on purpose and the great hypocrisy of the “new” Epcot. It’s wrapped up in the image of EPCOT Center. You’re supposed to think of EPCOT Center and it’s grand vision and think New Epcot is just like and even better than EPCOT Center Classic. But we’re also told EPCOT Center was a failure of an idea that had to change.
I see a difference between psychological ambiance and factual display. There is nothing except maybe the old energy building that isn't in some form the same that has been there since it opened. There are new people that have never experienced EPCOT in any form that find the place as interesting as those of us the experienced the first incarnation. So now that the depressing graveyard is gone and the mental expectations are heightened they may be able to keep that high response going. Not for us oldies, but certainly for the new folk.

It always seems to me that even though the location that once held Horizons is housing something different, when it comes to the possible future Mission: Space is far more possible then Horizon ever was. WoM although a great attraction was probably 99.8% history and a small amount looking into the future. Spaceship Earth was mostly history as well. Imagination was about internal human abilities that still exists but to a less impressive degree. Once the Hydrolators disappeared The Living Seas was just another large aquarium. And the land has stayed pretty much the same show that was actually the Living with the Land part. The other shows were about current nutrition beliefs. Yet, here was a park that everyone was supposed to think was strictly about an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow when only a portion was actually focused on the future and most of that was in CommuniCore which hasn't been had that mission for decades now. The ambiance was establish before we got there and reinforced by the first stuff we saw when we entered the park. The rest we just accepted as having anything to do with what EPCOT was supposed to be. World Showcase is the same as it always was, a permanent Worlds Fair.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
From what I’ve listened to, maybe half of the published loop, the music is fine. But it doesn’t “feel” like Epcot. As in, it feels like a bunch of songs some WDI people who never set foot inside EPCOT Center, or even Epcot pre-2005, heard and thought, “Oh, that sounds like Epcot, let’s use it!” and this is what we got. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Brenthodge

damn, fiber optics in the walkways would be pretty amazing. imagine if they were used in Pandora to light up the pathways. Or if they were also touch responsive and what you could do with that.
There’s a line called “too much” that they have the tendency to cross too often. I’m already a little nervous what the “color changing sparkle twinkle disco ball” is going to add to the area. It’s “just enough” as it is.

Surferboy567

Anyone kinda happy we got some Mary Poppins in there in the form of Saving Mr Banks?

I doubt that means anything for Cherry Tree Lane in the UK though.

EDIT: I have to admit the loop is definitely growing on me, have to listen to it in full.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom