News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

G00fyDad

There was all types of information, trip planners and photos of it during that time. If they didn't know it, they were not paying attention.
Not everyone is an uber trip planner.
All of us at one time or the other have arrived at the parks when our favorite or interesting attraction has been closed or covered with canvas.
The castle is not an attraction. It is a park icon and something that most guests love getting a photo in front of. I personally do not know anyone who gets a photo taken in front of an attraction that would be even slightly upset if it had a scrim over it.
If they went because it was the 25th celebration, then they knew before they got there, if they didn't know then even back then that was a serious glitch in paying attention to the place that had an Icon so important to them that they didn't get to see it during the entire year+ it was expected to be there it ruined their trip. It went up before, during the construction and came down pretty quickly after it was planned to be down.
Again, not everyone is an uber planner and may not have noticed it until they got there. Also, it was 1996. Do you remember what internet was like back then?
I'm sure it was a big let down, but it wasn't overcomable and I don't think it was nearly as many people as you might think.
I never alluded to people in a fetal position crying in corner somewhere.

What did happen thought was enough people complained and whined about it even if they didn't really care and had seen the castle a couple of billion times, that we no longer get those big expensive highlights. I don't blame them for not doing it anymore, but it is part of why the parks are so damn dull now.
They've done enough with the castle. The Stitch toilet paper garbage was enough.

I think that this particular argument was mostly made up by people that didn't like the concept and thought it was to whimsical for their conservative ideas of what a theme park is supposed to look like.
Assume as you wish.

So let's make up a different reason, because that one, if it existed at all was only a minor problem and happens whenever a change is done. Most have no special time frame, this one did and was widely advertised.
I'll stick with my original assertation that people were upset that the castle was puked on during their trip and they were unhappy with it.

Casper Gutman

It was temporary, whimsical, and fun. (Remember fun?) And not at all something that was at the entrance to Epcot. 😉
Absolutely. It was big and silly and on a scale that only Disney (or Uni today) could do. It was something distinct and unforgettable, an actual marker that the 25th mattered. It certainly wasn’t a total success, but at least it was a major attempt, something modern WDW would never do.

And I love the goofiness of it. WDW should be goofy, and excessive, and outside of fashion trends. If I cared about things that conformed to present notions of class and expense, I wouldn’t be at WDW.

Goofyernmost

Not everyone is an uber trip planner.

The castle is not an attraction. It is a park icon and something that most guests love getting a photo in front of. I personally do not know anyone who gets a photo taken in front of an attraction that would be even slightly upset if it had a scrim over it.

Again, not everyone is an uber planner and may not have noticed it until they got there. Also, it was 1996. Do you remember what internet was like back then?

I never alluded to people in a fetal position crying in corner somewhere.

They've done enough with the castle. The Stitch toilet paper garbage was enough.

Assume as you wish.

I'll stick with my original assertation that people were upset that the castle was puked on during their trip and they were unhappy with it.
Whatever makes you happy, but that didn't require an uber planner. You would have to have been in a Turkish prison to not have seen it. It was on TV, it was in magazines, it was with ticket packages and if you bought tickets to the place you would have seen it someplace. Stitch was more offensive because that whole promotion was really to take the pressure off Mickey as a company symbol.

I never mentioned that internet. I lived 1500 miles away from the place and I knew about it. And those that didn't get the opportunity to get a picture of the original castle got an absolute, once in a lifetime, Castle cake picture. They have had 25 years before and 25 years since then to get a picture of the castle or they could have bought one at one of the gift shops.

I am assuming and that is my way of saying that is what I think happened. Otherwise I would have specifically said that I knew for a fact. But so often things get blown out of proportional reality because those that were OK with it don't have anything to complain about and those that were not OK with it seem to find a million people telling them how awful it was, when it was just a few. The whole damn thing is a fact. That castle is plastic like like a toy with a thyroid condition and the castle cake was plastic like the same thing with a brighter celebratory condition.

I think that you can correctly stick with your original reaction that you were upset that the castle was puked on during your trip and that you were unhappy with it. But, I don't think you can speak for everyone or even assume you are speaking for the majority.

jadebenn

I'm going to have to count myself as a fan of the cake theme as well. My grandparents had a picture of themselves taken in front of the castle at the time, and I always thought it was interesting as a kid. And it beats the heck out of the "just stick a number plate on there" theming they do with anniversaries nowdays.

G00fyDad

I think that you can correctly stick with your original reaction that you were upset that the castle was puked on during your trip and that you were unhappy with it. But, I don't think you can speak for everyone or even assume you are speaking for the majority.
Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

durangojim

I wonder how many of the guests that were there during the 25th celebration never returned to WDW because of the castle cake. I’m guessing les than 10. If people came back again to see what the castle looked like normally then it was a win for Disney. Does anyone think in 25 years any of us will be talking about the 50th iridescent medallion on the castle? I doubt it but I’m guessing people will still be talking about the castle cake (which I thought was unique and silly but still fun).

Rich Brownn

I understand that, what I don't understand is why anyone would just look at that and say that is ugly and cheap looking. For one thing look at it, The planning and engineering that had to go into that to make it fit every part of the castle was hardly cheap. It looked whimsical and in my mind that is exactly what a theme park like MK should look like. Not just whimsical but whimsical in a very exact and detailed way. I knew it wasn't anything designed to be "classy" it was meant to be fun, like a party for the 25th anniversary. So the multi-personality expectations are that MK should be fun and creative, but in a non-humorous, solemn way?
Something can look cheap yet still cost a lot to make. It looked like a balloon stuck to the castle that someone threw up on. It was almost universally derided. Worse, it didn't match anything else so it stuck out.

CntrlFlPete

There was all types of information, trip planners and photos of it during that time. If they didn't know it, they were not paying attention. All of us at one time or the other have arrived at the parks when our favorite or interesting attraction has been closed or covered with canvas. It's too bad, but really, not avoidable. If they went because it was the 25th celebration, then they knew before they got there, if they didn't know then even back then that was a serious glitch in paying attention to the place that had an Icon so important to them that they didn't get to see it during the entire year+ it was expected to be there it ruined their trip. It went up before, during the construction and came down pretty quickly after it was planned to be down. I'm sure it was a big let down, but it wasn't overcomable and I don't think it was nearly as many people as you might think. What did happen though was enough people complained and whined about it even if they didn't really care and had seen the castle a couple of billion times, that we no longer get those big expensive highlights. I don't blame them for not doing it anymore, but it is part of why the parks are so damn dull now.

I think that this particular argument was mostly made up by people that didn't like the concept and thought it was to whimsical for their conservative ideas of what a theme park is supposed to look like. So let's make up a different reason, because that one, if it existed at all was only a minor problem and happens whenever a change is done. Most have no special time frame, this one did and was widely advertised.

that (as the castle cake did) completely ignores how many brides has a wedding planned far far in advance, to be at a facility that faces the castle that must mean something to them---

Bocabear

light meter on phone cameras often exaggerates light levels...
In general I think this lighting was a real upgrade... 50 Golden Statues? a complete and total waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere... they add nothing.

James Alucobond

I notice he didn't use any of the images that look like Vegas or a stadium scoreboard. The ones he used all look great; they should stick with that.
I think it’s a combination of things that contribute to it not being especially flattering in pictures, including the fact that the animated “show” portions many end up photographing are necessarily brighter than the resting phases to differentiate them and grab attention. Perhaps a bit too bright, though.

UNCgolf

I think it’s a combination of things that contribute to it not being especially flattering in pictures, including the fact that the animated “show” portions many end up photographing are necessarily brighter than the resting phases to differentiate them and grab attention. Perhaps a bit too bright, though.

It could be some of that, but @wdwmagic saying above that some of the lighting is great and some is not makes me think it's an overall design issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom