News Disney testing smart speakers in guest rooms at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Think about how everything on Genie is algorithmic, and now they're putting an Amazon Wiretap in every guest room. Now, if you check in, and your hyperactive 8-year-old mentions Rise of the Resistance several times in your room, the Amazon Wiretap will tell Genie to suggest you buy Lightning Lane on your scheduled Hollywood Studios day, and maybe even surge the prices for IA$ based on what it hears.
For people who don't (or can't) read articles, the camera is disabled permanently and the microphone is muted by default. The whole thing is opt-in.

waltography

Think about how everything on Genie is algorithmic, and now they're putting an Amazon Wiretap in every guest room. Now, if you check in, and your hyperactive 8-year-old mentions Rise of the Resistance several times in your room, the Amazon Wiretap will tell Genie to suggest you buy Lightning Lane on your scheduled Hollywood Studios day, and maybe even surge the prices for IA$ based on what it hears.
I mean, it's not like it needs that information anyway to get to the same conclusion. We produce a lot of data anyway in order to opt-in to the parks. All they'd need to do is log our keystrokes while using the MDE app to see how compulsively we're checking VQs/BG numbers/looking at the RotR area of the park map to make the (very dumb) prediction that we'd like to ride it at some point.

It reminds me of the story where Target sent a woman coupons for pregnancy-related items before realizing they were pregnant, no wiretapping needed.

Indy_UK

Interesting. I wonder exactly how much it can do ‘in your home’ ?

connect to your DME to book tickets, add-ins etc?

aaronml

Honestly this would have been more useful if FP+ still existed. You could ask “When is my first FastPass for the day?” Etc.

Brian

For people who don't (or can't) read articles, the camera is disabled permanently and the microphone is muted by default. The whole thing is opt-in.

159142178_10158131739741801_5100897458708245173_n.jpg

mgf

DA: Hi Jim. I overheard you talking about that big promotion. Congratulations!

Jim: (awkwardly) Uh. Thanks

DA: Now that we have some more income I went ahead and booked a two-bedroom bought into DVC at the Grand Floridian for your next vacation

Jim: Umm. Who is we?

DA: You know.

FIFY.

matt9112

This thread is going to be quickly filled with two types of people: those that are excited by the potential for this technology and how useful it could be, and those that don't like technology and think Disney is going to be spying on them with it.

I personally, am on the side of finding it helpful, but I already have 3 echos in my house so...

Or a third type....a technology centric person that ALSO isnt a huge fan of how ambiguous some of it is. I have a few echos myself but im also not a big fan of all the things they could be doing. In a hotel setting i dont see a big deal granted opting out should be available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom