News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
The site which shall not be named is reporting SSE will close in 2020 for 2 years for a complete refurb as part of the larger re-imagining of Epcot. It would re-open on the parks 40th anniversary in 2022.

EDIT: Work could include track replacement, scene updates (especially from the Industrial age onward), boarding/unboarding relocation, and a completely new post show building.

Seems logical that there would be a significant change to the landscaping and grounds around the attraction as well.

Last edited:

geekza

The site which shall not be named is reporting SSE will close in 2020 for 2 years for a complete Refurb as part of the larger re-imagining of Epcot. It would re-open on the parks 40th anniversary in 2022.
Uh oh. If true, that cannot be good.

EDIT: Okay. Thinking about it, that makes very little sense. Why would they close the park's centerpiece during WDW's 50th Celebration? I suspect (hope) that He Who Must Not Be Named is mistaken.

AndyS2992

EDIT: Okay. Thinking about it, that makes very little sense. Why would they close the park's centerpiece during WDW's 50th Celebration? I suspect (hope) that He Who Must Not Be Named is mistaken.
The building needs a huge amount of work as does the tired ride system. Hopefully the ride will get a huge modern overhaul in the process. I think it’s quite exciting.

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster

Also strange it would be closed for the 50th anniversary of WDW but I guess it is technically the 50th for just MK and some of the resorts. I could see them stretching the celebration another year though to incorporate Epcots 40th.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I suspect (hope) that He Who Must Not Be Named is mistaken.
0533dce2b0a2bb686ec0d790e325119e0f63f6-v5-wm.jpgActually, I can kinda see a SSE overhaul happening. Now, over 2 years? Probably not...but who knows?

geekza

The building needs a huge amount of work as does the tired ride system. Hopefully the ride will get a huge modern overhaul in the process. I think it’s quite exciting.
Oh, I totally agree that it could use some major TLC. My concern is that, if recent attraction decisions are any indication, whatever reopened two years later would likely not resemble the Spaceship Earth that many of us know and love.

trainplane3

He's already complaining about not getting credit on his Twitter. It's great. I know you're reading this

Let's sit back and wait for a reliable source to confirm this.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
He’s referring to this as part of Project Gamma.
Mmmm.... not really.

A lot of what’s mentioned does tally with various versions of SSE V5. I’ve personally not seen all those details classed in the same project at the same time. Nor did I expect actual load to move. The entrance, yes. And it’s a year earlier than I expected it to re open.

I’d say there’s likely to be some truth.

PorterRedkey

Oh, I totally agree that it could use some major TLC. My concern is that, if recent attraction decisions are any indication, whatever reopened two years later would likely not resemble the Spaceship Earth that many of us know and love.
The rumor states that everything up to and including the industrial revolution is safe (Printing, shy paper boy, etc...) will be safe. New projection mapping on the 180 top scene. No word on the screens. Project tommorrow building is to be demolished and replaced- according to the rumor.

I am sad we will be losing this foxy lady.
View attachment 319561
Edited to add photo credit:
Photo by Tom Bricker

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom