News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Bite the bullet. Cut the corner off the marina bend. Add a simple swinging foliage gate to compensate for the sightline. Widen the bridge by the few feet it would need with a new one. Extend the marina into the existing works site as needed to accommodate the Icon.

Show standards will be up to what’s expected of TWDC. You’ll be covered for decades for future shows. Wishful thinking perhaps but it’s not up to the paying customer to say what should be done.

This is a Your Imagination, Superstar Limo and Light Magic all in one.

Last edited:

tirian

Bite the bullet. Cut the corner off the marina bend. As a simple swinging foliage gate to compensate for the sightline. Widen the bridge by the few feet it would need with a new one. Extend the marina into the existing works site as needed to accommodate the Icon.

Show standards will be up to what’s expected of TWDC. You’ll be covered for decades for future shows. Wishful thinking perhaps but it’s not up to the paying customer to say what should be done.

QFT and Bravo.

tirian

Judging by all the reaction posts on Instagram by Disney - the vast majority of people are very pessimistic and negative about these barges and the sight lines ... which is a good thing because they listen to the fans always ... remember ... ahem ... remember Chapek ... said just recently ... that ... ha ... sorry that “they listen to the fans and give them what they want” ... remember so that means ... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha .... sorry I couldn’t even finish the post with a straight face. The barges are not going anywhere because they don’t give a rip about what the fans want.

So... my big mental struggle is how could they even recon this? General guest feedback has already been really negative to the point where even Disney is a little worried about the show's GSATs being able to make up for it.

For starters, the marina and drawbridge are effectively out of play for hiding the barges at this point, which only leaves areas on the lagoon, but these things are effectively too big to be hidden. Really the only barges that could be hidden even remotely would be the arms adjoined to the stargate.

Personally, the closest I can come to a solution is for the only barge that gets moved to be the stargate (and its arms if necessary), to be stashed in one of two places: Right up against the American Theater where the old boat usually is, or right up against showplace plaza. In both instances, the barge would actually be centered, which, while huge would be an aesthetic improvement, and it could have the area surrounding it modified to hide/embrace it slightly more. I just struggle to find a way for all 4 tacos and the stargate to be successfully hidden. Best one that moves all of them that I've found puts two tacos flanking the American Gardens Theater (one where globe was, one of the other side) and then two behind the gift shops in Showcase Plaza, then the Stargate in either of the previously discussed locations, and thats still a mess.

There are pyro effects on the barges. But, I guess when being reductionist about it, the barges just hold fountains, arm, lighting effects, and pyro.
Did a dense WDI executive somewhere need to wait for guest feedback before deciding the barges were ugly and couldn’t be hidden? Did WDI stop using 3-d render software? Did they stop walking around with iPads, pretending to be the only people on earth who use visualization software? ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have the same sentiments.

...wrong sentiments in this case...a couple minutes a day of whizz bangs are so non-consequential.

Only one theme park is home to Nessie, and she is iconic, stunning, and looks like this:

5b17ea92539ab.image.jpg

That’s still awesome after all these years...too bad the wolf died ☹️

hpyhnt 1000

So... my big mental struggle is how could they even recon this? General guest feedback has already been really negative to the point where even Disney is a little worried about the show's GSATs being able to make up for it.

For starters, the marina and drawbridge are effectively out of play for hiding the barges at this point, which only leaves areas on the lagoon, but these things are effectively too big to be hidden. Really the only barges that could be hidden even remotely would be the arms adjoined to the stargate.

Personally, the closest I can come to a solution is for the only barge that gets moved to be the stargate (and its arms if necessary), to be stashed in one of two places: Right up against the American Theater where the old boat usually is, or right up against showplace plaza. In both instances, the barge would actually be centered, which, while huge would be an aesthetic improvement, and it could have the area surrounding it modified to hide/embrace it slightly more. I just struggle to find a way for all 4 tacos and the stargate to be successfully hidden. Best one that moves all of them that I've found puts two tacos flanking the American Gardens Theater (one where globe was, one of the other side) and then two behind the gift shops in Showcase Plaza, then the Stargate in either of the previously discussed locations, and thats still a mess.

There are pyro effects on the barges. But, I guess when being reductionist about it, the barges just hold fountains, arm, lighting effects, and pyro.
Since the marina and bridge are a no go at this point, I'd build some auxiliary docks next to the existing lagoon islands and park the tacos there during the day. Bulk up the island vegetation and paint the taco barges go away green and they should be relatively hidden from most angles. Then Starship could be moved in front of/around the American Adventure theater like you suggest (assuming they don't want to just eliminate it from the show).

A quick Paint rendering below. Still some compromised views of the eysores, but a heck of a lot better than the current daytime situation IMO.

EvQSf4IXMAEul4k.jpg

How exciting lol 😂. Well hopefully Harm has a strong soundtrack, IP aside. Harm is doomed for sure if the soundtrack doesn’t impress and is a mishmosh and no flow, like umm RoL: We are one.
From what we've heard of the show, I wouldn't be surprised if survey results end up good but not spectacular, with folks impressed by the various effects and pyro but finding other elements like music and story merely OK and nothing special. In other words, good enough for it to stick around a few years but probably not garnering a dedicated following like RoE or HEA, and thus falling short of internal expectations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bite the bullet. Cut the corner off the marina bend. Add a simple swinging foliage gate to compensate for the sightline. Widen the bridge by the few feet it would need with a new one. Extend the marina into the existing works site as needed to accommodate the Icon.

Can we put the DHS courtyard stage in there too ? :)

RSoxNo1

You'd need more complaints than Rivers of Light.

Sue_Vongello

I doubt they are worried about the guest satisfaction surveys for this. Why should they? The surveys for this show will probably be good or very good (because “kewl Disney IP and music!!!”) but two practical things we should keep in mind and Disney should keep in mind (but won’t):

1. Their guest satisfaction surveys aren’t written in a way to even gain honest feedback. The questions are like “Do you like exciting new attractions with amazing technology? Answer: yes!” See? They will love the new show! It’s new AND it has amazing technology!

2. The survey of Harmonious will be focused entirely on specific questions about the show - they will not get any feedback on the impact the show elements have on sight lines or non-show time periods. They won’t even ask general questions about the show and most certainly not open ended ones.

So the surveys will be very good or great and they will get to PR that news all over the place but of course it won’t be how most people actually feel.

Touchdown

I doubt they are worried about the guest satisfaction surveys for this. Why should they? The surveys for this show will probably be good or very good (because “kewl Disney IP and music!!!”) but two practical things we should keep in mind and Disney should keep in mind (but won’t):

1. Their guest satisfaction surveys aren’t written in a way to even gain honest feedback. The questions are like “Do you like exciting new attractions with amazing technology? Answer: yes!” See? They will love the new show! It’s new AND it has amazing technology!

2. The survey of Harmonious will be focused entirely on specific questions about the show - they will not get any feedback on the impact the show elements have on sight lines or non-show time periods. They won’t even ask general questions about the show and most certainly not open ended ones.

So the surveys will be very good or great and they will get to PR that news all over the place but of course it won’t be how most people actually feel.
Not always, I remember filling out a WOC Celebrate survey after it floped. The questions were very direct and asked me why I liked/disliked the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom