News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

waltography

I think we can cut Disney some slack on the fake live lip syncing. Thinking more about it here....if this was a "true" live performance with everybody playing and singing in real-time, that would have been a really hard production to pull off. It would have required tons of sound checking, carefull mic setups and a nasty-hard mix job around the lands....all at once. The potential for error in a spread-out outdoor event like this and keeping it all tight with the live lagoon display and fireworks? Yeah...that would have been pure AV Hell and too risky for a live show.

The way they did it was much more practicle. Lip syncing to a pre recorded, pre mixed studio track that was already playing in paralell with Harmonious itself was so much easier. Plus 90% of the viewers would not even look that closely to notice anyway.

Faking the audio and making really nice visuals prolly was the best production choice after all.
This is my thought exactly. Too many factors already in a live production to fail, and you choose to add live audio to the mix? For a one-time only show that's been seemingly pulled together in a tight schedule for what essentially amounts to a business test on a larger scale, I don't think it would've been worth it. The gesture to live music was probably the most impactful here with least effort required. (And it's not like they expected this to be a gangbuster ratings powerhouse.)

I only wish that the singers were better lip-syncers. The singer who stood in for an "American" voice was the most noticeable to me (taking breaths when she shouldn't, not mouthing consonants at the right time, etc.).

I think we can cut Disney some slack on the fake live lip syncing. Thinking more about it here....if this was a "true" live performance with everybody playing and singing in real-time, that would have been a really hard production to pull off.

I have zero issue with them lip syncing, just find funny that anyone could actually think that was live. I don’t think Disney does a lot of truly live performances on their shows.

This is my thought exactly. Too many factors already in a live production to fail, and you choose to add live audio to the mix? For a one-time only show that's been seemingly pulled together in a tight schedule for what essentially amounts to a business test on a larger scale, I don't think it would've been worth it.
All the more reason to focus more on the show itself and not the performers pantomiming what they achieved in a studio. Cutting to them from time to time is totally fine, but they were focusing far too much on the performers for me.

waltography

All the more reason to focus more on the show itself and not the performers pantomiming what they achieved in a studio. Cutting to them from time to time is totally fine, but they were focusing far too much on the performers for me.
Granted, I'm biased against the show as is, but showing real people is what sold the thesis of the show to me more than whatever was happening in the lagoon. I have no interest in watching the show at Epcot anytime soon, but I may revisit this special again sometime.

SplashJacket

Got my second viewing today.

Harmonious is a world class show that belongs in a world class theme-park. The Coco, Mulan, and Earth segments are clear highlights. The technology is absolutely incredible.

I was bothered by the pacing and abrupt transitions when watching videos from my home, but most the segments can very strongly stand on their own, so the gaps provide a moment for applause that feels natural in person.

I really like this show. I can’t be objective about Illuminations, that show simply holds a too significant place in my heart, but this show is great, in contrast Epcot Forever was laughably bad.

Every time I ride MMRR I cannot fathom why they got rid of The Great Movie ride. It didn’t deserve a replacement, and MMRR is a fine ride, but nothing special in my eyes.

Harmonious is different. Illuminations showed it age and needed a replacement (I think no one argues against that), and Harmonious is a fantastic show. Like I said earlier, I cannot be objective with Illuminations, but Harmonious definitely can stand on its own.

Placement in Epcot ignored, Harmonious is a great show that I highly recommend checking out.

The oil rigs during the day are not a large distraction. They’re not amazing, but they don’t really make your day any worse. Having them out there 24/7 is a definite mistake, but minimal impact at most.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
20220701_210405.jpg

It's the Friday night of July 4th weekend... 5 minutes into Harmonious. Not a soul is in Chefs de France. This show can not bode well for the restaurant operators in WS...

trainplane3

View attachment 650166

It's the Friday night of July 4th weekend... 5 minutes into Harmonious. Not a soul is in Chefs de France. This show can not bode well for the restaurant operators in WS...
Well, in the case of Chefs, wouldn't that kind of make sense since the views aren't too great? What with it being behind a pathway which then has people along the lagoon to block the views?

The Morocco and Mexico restaurants would be more telling since those are right on the water.

Disney Analyst

Well, in the case of Chefs, wouldn't that kind of make sense since the views aren't too great? What with it being behind a pathway which then has people along the lagoon to block the views?

The Morocco and Mexico restaurants would be more telling since those are right on the water.

Shhh.

You’ll ruin their narrative that the entire world all hates harmonious and suddenly all people now avoid a fireworks show at Epcot…

trainplane3

Shhh.

You’ll ruin their narrative that the entire world all hates harmonious and suddenly all people now avoid a fireworks show at Epcot…
The entire world doesn't hate it at all. But for how much money and development was put into the show, they aren't seeing the return they expected. The show will get the adjustments it needs, eventually.

mergatroid

Yeah, I guess maybe the point is it doesn't bode well for the restaurant owners because the show is so good that people don't want to be where they don't have a view of it
I don't know about that either. However I've been at The Rose and Crown several times when Illuminations was showing and the inside of the restaurant was just as empty as that picture during the actual show. I'm guessing it's the numbers in the restaurants leading up to the start of the show that are more telling than during it going from how the Rose and Crown used to be?

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Saw Harmonious for the first time on Monday. I was predisposed against it because of my love for Illuminations and my issues with it's placement in Epcot, but I was blown away. The lights, lasers, effects, and pyro were all extremely impressive, and the music in person was supurb.

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but this is a world class show worthy of Epcot.

mattpeto

Saw Harmonious for the first time on Monday. I was predisposed against it because of my love for Illuminations and my issues with it's placement in Epcot, but I was blown away. The lights, lasers, effects, and pyro were all extremely impressive, and the music in person was supurb.

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but this is a world class show worthy of Epcot.
It’s a great show, they just have to move out those barges out of the day during the day.

I believe something will give, either the show will be retired within a year or two, or they will mobilize the barges.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom