News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Rose&Crown

Did they just hope everyone forgot they said fountains would hide those hideous things? I mean we all knew that was bogus but did they ever backtrack that or just ignore it?

James Alucobond

As for thoughts on a 2.0 version with updated segments, this sounds unfortunate.
  • Coco is a highlight and could arguably nail it in the pre-finale spot, but they need space for another Latin America IP?
  • Mulan and PatF drag (the latter has its moments but is otherwise too loud, too frenetic, and too much). Could they be shortened, please?
  • BatB doesn’t have much of a raison d’être, as far as this show goes, yet Brave might be on the chopping block?
I've actually started thinking that the most likely targets for removal might be Out There, Touch the Sky, and How Far I'll Go/Go the Distance since there are rumors of Happily Ever After returning and all of these segments would therefore become redundant.

Did they just hope everyone forgot they said fountains would hide those hideous things? I mean we all knew that was bogus but did they ever backtrack that or just ignore it?
They just quietly removed the sign advertising the fountain functionality and dodged any questions about it during the Harmonious debut interviews.

WorldExplorer

I'm surprised they stopped. Like, there's no way the fountains made it look WORSE, might as well keep trying.

I guess still trying to use the fountains would be an implied admission that the barges look awful and worthy of being covered, while drawing attention to them with the 50th logo says "there's no problem; we are unshamed!".

Also, probably cheaper to shut them off.

Vinnie Mac

I'm surprised they stopped. Like, there's no way the fountains made it look WORSE, might as well keep trying.

I guess still trying to use the fountains would be an implied admission that the barges look awful and worthy of being covered, while drawing attention to them with the 50th logo says "there's no problem; we are unshamed!".

Also, probably cheaper to shut them off.
Personally I feel like the fountains would have made it worse. Water features of certain scales are noisy. Also they've publicly tested the fountains before and oh boy was it ugly... The barges would have more attention being drawn to them. As of now nobody really cares about them besides locals and hardcore fans. They're just there and are irrelevent to everyone walking throughout WS until 2 hours before showtime.

I wasn't bothered by them but I was paying attention mainly to see what they looked like. I read plenty of opinions from folks on this board so I wanted to see for myself if it was really that big and yes from some view points it is that big but the scale does change depending on where you stand. From some areas, it looked much bigger than I expected (this is good for when it's showtime) but from other areas, it almost looked small. So it's a double sided coin for sure but personally I don't really care. They're not pretty but they aren't overly offensive either.

Vinnie Mac

I've actually started thinking that the most likely targets for removal might be Out There, Touch the Sky, and How Far I'll Go/Go the Distance since there are rumors of Happily Ever After returning and all of these segments would therefore become redundant.
Oh hell no they can't remove the first segment. It's literally one of the best intros to any theme park fireworks show probably ever and the HarmonioUS marketing was literally built around that segment

James Alucobond

Oh hell no they can't remove the first segment. It's literally one of the best intros to any theme park fireworks show probably ever and the HarmonioUS marketing was literally built around that segment
It's probably the least at risk as it's a medley, but I still think it would be highly problematic to have shows with 3-4 overlapping sections since the goal is to get people to spread out and watch both.

EeyoreFan#24

Saw the show in person a little while ago. Livestreams vs irl are farther apart than enchantment in my viewing opinion. Harmonious was also a lot better in person, but I couldn’t get into the show overall. They put a lot of time and effort into it, but seeing irl wasn’t enough to sway me on this one. I don’t think the show justifies the view compromise for the tech. I am hopeful maybe one day they change it to something I find interesting since the barges have sailed for this one already and we’re stuck with it.

Also, I wish everything would be built for me to like, but that’s not realistic and I’m ok with it. Maybe the next one will be a hit for me.

WDWJoeG

The barges didn't look as bad in person as I'd expected reading comments on here, that's an honest answer to your question. Most people will realise that's different to me saying I love the view of them or that me enjoying the show is an endorsement on how great they look. I wish they came out just for the show but they don't, I've had to accept that as I wasn't part of the decision making process. Did it ruin my trip, no. Do I wish they were elsewhere, yes. Did I love the show Harmonious, yes. See how it works, one thing doesn't mutually affect the other. The three Epcot newbies I took didn't even mention the daytime eyesore. When I asked them later about it explaining that many hated it, their response was it was worth having them there all day for the show at night. You see some people have different views than others.
And that's why the parks are in the state they are. Glad you rationalized it and accepted it. I'm sure the company appreciates your exceptionally low standards and continued support.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The barges didn't look as bad in person as I'd expected reading comments on here, that's an honest answer to your question. Most people will realise that's different to me saying I love the view of them or that me enjoying the show is an endorsement on how great they look. I wish they came out just for the show but they don't, I've had to accept that as I wasn't part of the decision making process. Did it ruin my trip, no. Do I wish they were elsewhere, yes. Did I love the show Harmonious, yes. See how it works, one thing doesn't mutually affect the other. The three Epcot newbies I took didn't even mention the daytime eyesore. When I asked them later about it explaining that many hated it, their response was it was worth having them there all day for the show at night. You see some people have different views than others.

Agree to disagree. Those things are horrendous and absolutely detract from ones enjoyment of the area. But... standards and whatnot.

mergatroid

And that's why the parks are in the state they are. Glad you rationalized it and accepted it. I'm sure the company appreciates your exceptionally low standards and continued support.
I assume Joe that you've never given a cent to Disney in any way since the barges appeared? I'm sure you can link online petitions you've started too telling Disney how not one more cent will go their way till the barges are removed? If not then you're supporting the company by continuing to pay them and the rest is just that you hate them quite a bit more than me and seemingly want people to admire your stance whilst still funding Disney.

TikibirdLand

I assume Joe that you've never given a cent to Disney in any way since the barges appeared? I'm sure you can link online petitions you've started too telling Disney how not one more cent will go their way till the barges are removed? If not then you're supporting the company by continuing to pay them and the rest is just that you hate them quite a bit more than me and seemingly want people to admire your stance whilst still funding Disney.
I don't know about Joe, but I haven't given the 1 cent to them since before they even started installing those things.

Well, except for Disney+; DW and kids still think they need it. Sigh.

WDWJoeG

I don't know about Joe, but I haven't given the 1 cent to them since before they even started installing those things.

Well, except for Disney+; DW and kids still think they need it. Sigh.
Cancelled two WDW trips and have none scheduled. Every dollar you spend just reinforces their strategy. You have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Just like when the pizza joint down the street replaced the staff and is now making terrible pizza - I don't go there either anymore. But then again, I guess you could go and rationalize it isn't as bad it could be, just accept it because that's what it is now, and bring others who never had the original pizza and say "See, that isn't so terrible, is it?".

People are amazing.

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

Agree to disagree. Those things are horrendous and absolutely detract from ones enjoyment of the area. But... standards and whatnot.
They're not pretty but they're really not that big of a deal and I am in the group of people who have seen them in real life. Not once did I think "man, my day sure would be much better if those barges weren't there"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom