News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

etc98

Segments swapped out I'm sure. HarmonioUS is a very easily modifiable show. A lot of people want Coco to be swapped out with Encanto which I would hate. I like Encanto as much as the next guy but at least Coco's involvement actually makes sense thematically. "The music is my language and the world is mi familia" is essentially what HarmonioUS is about anyway. I'm not sure how a movie about generational trauma would fit into that mold.

Unless the show is getting more pyro, an inferno barge, an expanded harbor to store the barges, or some type of Illuminations comeback using the barge technology, then I don't want this "2.0". I love the current version of HarmonioUS. I've connected with it and I've even had family memories related to the show and I see that it has grown on people a lot (not everyone though). Though I was confident that an IP show about world unity would work (which in my eyes it did), it was still a shot in the dark for Disney. Why take two shots in the dark when most of the GP think that the initial product was great to begin with?
To be fair, Coco is also a movie about generational trauma

Touchdown

To be fair, Coco is also a movie about generational trauma
It’s also the best segment in the show (outside of the finale) and would hate to see it go. Personally I would take out the Jungle Book section if I had my way, it’s not an Indian story, it’s a British Colonial Story that takes place in India and promotes colonialism (civilizing the wild.).

mergatroid

Ok saw this in person a week ago today and loved it. Loved it on video but seeing it live was even better. I know it's not a popular opinion on here but I think it's the most enjoyable night time show I've seen at Epcot since I first went when it opened. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on it as it's subjective, but it made me so very happy watching it.

Centauri Space Station

Ok saw this in person a week ago today and loved it. Loved it on video but seeing it live was even better. I know it's not a popular opinion on here but I think it's the most enjoyable night time show I've seen at Epcot since I first went when it opened. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on it as it's subjective, but it made me so very happy watching it.
I completely agree, its way better in person.

WDWJoeG

Awesome! How'd it look in the daytime?!

mergatroid

Oh good! So it completely destroyed one of the most unique vistas in theme parks around the world! Glad you enjoyed your little fireworks show for a few minutes!!!
You come across as an angry chap? Perhaps don't ask questions that you don't expect you'll like the answer to? I'd prefer the barges not there all day, I've already admitted that. But they're there and there's not much I can do about that, what have you done about it that's made a difference other than talk about it on here? You'd think that you'd chained yourself to the screen one night or gone on a public hunger strike the way you seem so upset by me enjoying Harmonious.

The barges didn't look as bad in person as I'd expected reading comments on here, that's an honest answer to your question. Most people will realise that's different to me saying I love the view of them or that me enjoying the show is an endorsement on how great they look. I wish they came out just for the show but they don't, I've had to accept that as I wasn't part of the decision making process. Did it ruin my trip, no. Do I wish they were elsewhere, yes. Did I love the show Harmonious, yes. See how it works, one thing doesn't mutually affect the other. The three Epcot newbies I took didn't even mention the daytime eyesore. When I asked them later about it explaining that many hated it, their response was it was worth having them there all day for the show at night. You see some people have different views than others.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Circling back to say Harmonious is…growing on me.

Is it as emotionally impactful as RoE? No. Are the barges hideous at most times of day? Yes.

But the concept is fitting enough, and there are some gems within the segments. For me personally:
  • Awakening is a strong opening. The lyrics land particularly well after a terrible work week that has you questioning your stressful, meager existence.
  • Arabian Nights, Lion King, and Brave are great high-energy segments.
  • Coco + Saludos Amigos is fantastic fun.
  • The ending is sentimental and wistful enough, although I find it a bit cynical (“A world without greed? That’ll be the day — we’ve got booze and popcorn buckets to sell.”)
As for thoughts on a 2.0 version with updated segments, this sounds unfortunate.
  • Coco is a highlight and could arguably nail it in the pre-finale spot, but they need space for another Latin America IP?
  • Mulan and PatF drag (the latter has its moments but is otherwise too loud, too frenetic, and too much). Could they be shortened, please?
  • BatB doesn’t have much of a raison d’être, as far as this show goes, yet Brave might be on the chopping block?
We’ll see what they have in store, but this could end up being another RoL, where the changes take away some of the show’s original merits and make it even less cohesive.

DonaldDoleWhip

Finally, if they do add Encanto (which I’ve thought made sense all along — would just prefer it doesn’t displace Coco), I hope they do a song fusion/medley of some sort.

Bruno feels like a sure thing for commercial reasons (deservedly so), but Colombia, Mi Encanto would fit a nighttime spectacular so well, particularly one celebrating world cultures.

Vinnie Mac

DonaldDoleWhip I'll reply to you in a second.

Did want to point out that HarmonioUS looked GREAT tonight.

The "A-mode" quality pyro has returned, some pyro has been rearranged (more on this later), the EF comets are gone from the finale but still present elsewhere in the show, and the finale seems a little bit different.

With the finale, the old perimeter shells are back (I sorta like these shells better cause they've got more of a "pop" to them). Also, when the barges come back on at "SOON", a set of perimeter shells are launched and then the rainbow shells from the end of the first segment launch.

Vinnie Mac

Also someone mentioned HarmonioUS getting more pyro over the summer like Enchantment which I hope is true because I'd love to see them revert back to the June 2021 testing version. That still remains the best display of HarmonioUS probably ever.

gerarar

Premium Member
Also someone mentioned HarmonioUS getting more pyro over the summer like Enchantment which I hope is true because I'd love to see them revert back to the June 2021 testing version. That still remains the best display of HarmonioUS probably ever.
Enchantment is getting more pyro, lol? Just this past week, they reverted the changes made to the show from last month, restoring the original finale and other shells, which is a step backwards because the finale was actually improved.

Vinnie Mac

Enchantment is getting more pyro, lol? Just this past week, they reverted the changes made to the show from last month, restoring the original finale and other shells, which is a step backwards because the finale was actually improved.
That's a shame, Enchantment had actually been looking really good recently. Better shells, consistent lighting, stronger and more consistent laser effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom