News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

Weather_Lady

I don't get your point...you literally cannot hit a wall on the Speedway.

He's comparing the "physical experience" of the ride to hitting a wall --- which is exactly what it felt like the first time I experienced it with my 4-year-old daughter at the wheel, merrily flipping the wheel as far as she could to the right until we smashed into the guard bar, and then to the left, and then to the right again down the entire length of the track, with some random, hard braking (more precisely, abrupt lifting off of the gas) thrown in just to make sure that the whiplash I was experiencing covered the whole 360 degrees. By the time we were done, not a single bone in my body remained in alignment.

wedenterprises

He's comparing the "physical experience" of the ride to hitting a wall --- which is exactly what it felt like the first time I experienced it with my 4-year-old daughter at the wheel, merrily flipping the wheel as far as she could to the right until we smashed into the guard bar, and then to the left, and then to the right again down the entire length of the track, with some random, hard braking (more precisely, abrupt lifting off of the gas) thrown in just to make sure that the whiplash I was experiencing covered the whole 360 degrees. By the time we were done, not a single bone in my body remained in alignment.
Yep. Hitting cars in front of you, getting hit from behind, steering into the guard rail.

Terrible ride. Just an awful experience. It's at the bottom with Matterhorn in terms of throwing your spine out of alignment.

ImperfectPixie

Yep. Hitting cars in front of you, getting hit from behind, steering into the guard rail.

Terrible ride. Just an awful experience. It's at the bottom with Matterhorn in terms of throwing your spine out of alignment.
Oh, I'm not a fan when I can go and ride go-karts rail-free near my house for less than $20. But when you've got boys that are little and all about speed and racing...I'd rather suffer a little bit with the rail than see them try to compete in a free-for-all among all ages. (We've also got F1 Racing in close proximity, but their prices are more than I'm willing to pay unless it's a birthday or special occasion.) Thankfully my boys are old enough now that they can drive whatever they like in the way of go-karts, and soon my oldest will be driving real cars.

wedenterprises

Oh, I'm not a fan when I can go and ride go-karts rail-free near my house for less than $20. But when you've got boys that are little and all about speed and racing...I'd rather suffer a little bit with the rail than see them try to compete in a free-for-all among all ages. (We've also got F1 Racing in close proximity, but their prices are more than I'm willing to pay unless it's a birthday or special occasion.) Thankfully my boys are old enough now that they can drive whatever they like in the way of go-karts, and soon my oldest will be driving real cars.
A fair point

I'd like to see the speedway turned electric, and with sensors to avoid the battering ram.

TrainsOfDisney

It would have been great to just rebuild the speedway completely when they built tron. Make it tron like futuristic cars that allow guests to “drive” them somehow but make it fit thematically.

Would have been cool to route it over the train tracks and into the tron building even. Could have been a really cool scene where the 2 attractions could add kinetic energy to each other.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

To be fair to your daughter, that's basically the controls' fault. The wheels don't respond to a small turn of the steering wheel... you gotta yank it left or right. The gas peddle does almost nothing until fully depressed, so the slightest let up is like hard braking.

Speedway is an awful awful awful ride. As much fun as it is for little kids to drive for the first time, it's like teaching them to swim in front of an open hydrant.

N2dru

Question...since we know the WDW Railroad will travel thru a tunnel between FL station and SM, any ideas on what will be included in that tunnel? Projections, an AA scene, lightshow, anything? Anyone have any thoughts/ideas? I personally feel this is WDW's opportunity to add something climatic to the RR, maybe not on the scale of DL's Primeval World/GC diorama but something that wows before that last chug into MS. What do you think?

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Question...since we know the WDW Railroad will travel thru a tunnel between FL station and SM. Any ideas on what will be included in that tunnel? Projections, an AA scene, lightshow, anything? Anyone have any thoughts/ideas? I personally feel this is WDW's opportunity to add something climatic to the RR, maybe not on the scale of DL's Primeval World/GC diorama but something that wows before that last chug into MS. What do you think?

I agree with you, would sure be nice, but have a feeling it wont have a darn thing. Thats management today.

DisAl

PHOTOS - Tracks relaid at the Walt Disney World Railroad
Maybe it is just distortion in the photo but it sure looks like there is a slight dip in the track between the light / generator trailer and where the two men are standing on the track. (Second photo)

optjay

Maybe it is just distortion in the photo but it sure looks like there is a slight dip in the track between the light / generator trailer and where the two men are standing on the track. (Second photo)
does not appear the tracks have been ballasted yet or tamped.

StarshipDisney

To be fair to your daughter, that's basically the controls' fault. The wheels don't respond to a small turn of the steering wheel... you gotta yank it left or right. The gas peddle does almost nothing until fully depressed, so the slightest let up is like hard braking.

Speedway is an awful awful awful ride. As much fun as it is for little kids to drive for the first time, it's like teaching them to swim in front of an open hydrant.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is something I have really wanted to ask about.

I am pretty sure that you cannot steer the cars on the Tomorrowland Speedway at all. I recall the last time I rode it (and maybe I just had a bad car) I tried to steer it myself and you could turn the steering wheel to the right or left as many times as you wanted and there were no stops. The wheel did not seem to have any level of positive control at all. We just rode around bumping the guide rail at every turn.

Has anyone found different? Is it even possible on this ride to traverse the course and never hit the guide rail?

JoeCamel

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is something I have really wanted to ask about.

I am pretty sure that you cannot steer the cars on the Tomorrowland Speedway at all. I recall the last time I rode it (and maybe I just had a bad car) I tried to steer it myself and you could turn the steering wheel to the right or left as many times as you wanted and there were no stops. The wheel did not seem to have any level of positive control at all. We just rode around bumping the guide rail at every turn.

Has anyone found different? Is it even possible on this ride to traverse the course and never hit the guide rail?
Used to be able to steer at full lock but there is so much slop in the steering you only crash from side to side on the guide rail now.

Monorail_Red_77

Yes, you can steer but like others have mentioned. Lots of play in the steering and it is hard to really steer much. If, my kids are steering forget about it. back and forth hard hits against the rail all the way around the track. If I steer I can keep the rail fairly centered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom