Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What were you expecting? This is not part of “Walt Disney World” This is very much inline with what they did around Little Lake Bryan and the Crossroads decades ago.
I was expecting a really cheap looking apartment dwelling for college kids and for when they return 6 months later to toil full time with low investment/low income retail and some “peasant” hotel chains for those that disney believes earn too little to actually attend the parks anymore in the “grand luxury initiative”.

…too soon? Too real?

RWilliams

Premium Member
What were you expecting? This is not part of “Walt Disney World” This is very much inline with what they did around Little Lake Bryan and the Crossroads decades ago.
I was expecting what Disney said they were going to do, that was likely my first mistake.
"The master-planned development is comparable in size to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The project combines third-party branded lodging, retail and dining in a pedestrian-friendly environment and will be another example of Disney's commitment to unique placemaking."
When they announced it they were talking all about historic Florida architecture and history and why they named the roads after the people they did and then they plopped in a generic looking shopping center, no different than Winter Garden Village. I'd add Hamlin down the road to that group as well but from what I can tell of Flamingo crossing so far Hamlin has a lot more personality. I don't care who the tenants are, I'm disappointed in the lack of originality in the design. I would have thought they would have learned and wanted to improve on what they did with the Crossroads and little lake Bryan. Disney used to want to do things better than everyone else and for some stupid reason I thought that maybe they would put some effort into Flamingo Crossing. 🤷‍♀️

castlecake2.0

I was expecting what Disney said they were going to do, that was likely my first mistake.
"The master-planned development is comparable in size to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The project combines third-party branded lodging, retail and dining in a pedestrian-friendly environment and will be another example of Disney's commitment to unique placemaking."
When they announced it they were talking all about historic Florida architecture and history and why they named the roads after the people they did and then they plopped in a generic looking shopping center, no different than Winter Garden Village. I'd add Hamlin down the road to that group as well but from what I can tell of Flamingo crossing so far Hamlin has a lot more personality. I don't care who the tenants are, I'm disappointed in the lack of originality in the design. I would have thought they would have learned and wanted to improve on what they did with the Crossroads and little lake Bryan. Disney used to want to do things better than everyone else and for some stupid reason I thought that maybe they would put some effort into Flamingo Crossing. 🤷‍♀️
It actually looked nice last time I drove by. Sort of a Disney Springs “lite”. Though still disappointed anytime the bubble shrinks.

RWilliams

Premium Member
I was expecting a really cheap looking apartment dwelling for college kids and for when they return 6 months later to toil full time with low investment/low income retail and some “peasant” hotel chains for those that disney believes earn too little to actually attend the parks anymore in the “grand luxury initiative”.

…too soon? Too real?
Flamingo Crossing really is just Little Lake Bryan and Crossroads v2.0. Maybe one day I'll learn from the past and remember to keep my expectations low. Its getting easier and easier.

castlecake2.0

You don’t think intending to be bland sprawl is in itself a negative?
I mentioned before that I hate when they use their land to build stuff like this, but I was more referring to the fact it was never meant to be like another Disney Springs. It’s got a Celebration/Disney Springs “lite” look to it, and it’s main purpose was to provide goods and services to the CP housing and the local hotels. I’ve done multiple internships living in Disney housing and this looks like a huge improvement, and it’s a common theme on these boards that cast should be treated better, which this definitely does. So it’s serving it’s intent and purpose, but I won’t deny I wish this area was used for something else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s going to do exactly what it’s meant for…and nothing more.

cheap labor housing, some onsite retail and some mid priced hotels…to make sure those 2 miles away in “luxury accommodations” aren’t bothered

lazyboy97o

I mentioned before that I hate when they use their land to build stuff like this, but I was more referring to the fact it was never meant to be like another Disney Springs. It’s got a Celebration/Disney Springs “lite” look to it, and it’s main purpose was to provide goods and services to the CP housing and the local hotels. I’ve done multiple internships living in Disney housing and this looks like a huge improvement, and it’s a common theme on these boards that cast should be treated better, which this definitely does. So it’s serving it’s intent and purpose, but I won’t deny I wish this area was used for something else.
That goal doesn’t require the cheap design and sprawl. It easily could have been an actual pedestrian oriented design that would have added more benefit to Cast Members living in the apartments. It would have added more value to the hotels guests. It would have given the businesses access to more customers as they walk around which the space could have encouraged people to do.

castlecake2.0

That goal doesn’t require the cheap design and sprawl. It easily could have been an actual pedestrian oriented design that would have added more benefit to Cast Members living in the apartments. It would have added more value to the hotels guests. It would have given the businesses access to more customers as they walk around which the space could have encouraged people to do.
I don’t disagree

TTA94

The Target looks very small. Don’t remember seeing one that small before. Must be mostly grocery based? Of course there’s no need for a large Target since there’s one close by.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The 200,000-square-foot Flamingo Crossings shopping center — a Disney master-planned development on the west side of the theme park resort — has revealed eight additional restaurants and retailers who will be tenants there.

Those added to the growing list include:
  • Encore Nails
  • Hash House a Go Go
  • Lime Fresh Mexican Grill
  • Nick Filet
  • Ovation Bistro & Bar
  • Pita Mediterranean Street Food
  • Starbucks
  • Simply Capri
Other tenants previously announced include 7-Eleven, Ben & Jerry's, Bento Asian Kitchen + Sushi, Domino's, Dunkin, Ellie Lou's Brews & BBQ, Firehouse Subs, Five Below, Five Guys, Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Dining, PDQ, Persimmon Hollow Brewing Company, Pieology Pizzeria, Target, The UPS Store, Walgreens and Wendy's."

MagicalDreams07

The Disney housing looks very modern- they did a good job. The shopping plaza has some really good tenants signed on-I think it will(hope) have a Disney feel to it. The Target is very small -like other posters have said.(Super Target 5-10 minutes away) Im excited to see the finished product

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
"The 200,000-square-foot Flamingo Crossings shopping center — a Disney master-planned development on the west side of the theme park resort — has revealed eight additional restaurants and retailers who will be tenants there.

Those added to the growing list include:
  • Encore Nails
  • Hash House a Go Go
  • Lime Fresh Mexican Grill
  • Nick Filet
  • Ovation Bistro & Bar
  • Pita Mediterranean Street Food
  • Starbucks
  • Simply Capri
Other tenants previously announced include 7-Eleven, Ben & Jerry's, Bento Asian Kitchen + Sushi, Domino's, Dunkin, Ellie Lou's Brews & BBQ, Firehouse Subs, Five Below, Five Guys, Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Dining, PDQ, Persimmon Hollow Brewing Company, Pieology Pizzeria, Target, The UPS Store, Walgreens and Wendy's."

Hash House a Go Go is a cool place.

ArmoredRodent

Hash House a Go Go is a cool place.
The people at HHAGG are great. I will point out that some of their dishes are not what you think you're ordering. For example, I ordered the Chicken Pot Pie; we all know what a Chicken Pot Pie is, right? Nice flaky crust surrounding chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce in the center, right? Not at HHAGG. From a review I wrote once: "It's a big bowl, topped with a "Sombrero" of a round flatbread, and the filling poured into the middle of the bread so it gets soggy and sinks down to fill about half the bowl. Now that filling is delicious ... But this isn't a pie at all, no crust, no flaky pastry dough at all." Brannon R from HHAGG wrote me to say "This is our take on the famous meal, and we're proud to be doing it our own unique way."

IOW, it may be good, but don't expect a "pie" in the HHAGG chicken pot pie and you'll be fine.

FigmentForever96

The Disney housing looks very modern- they did a good job. The shopping plaza has some really good tenants signed on-I think it will(hope) have a Disney feel to it. The Target is very small -like other posters have said.(Super Target 5-10 minutes away) Im excited to see the finished product
Flex store. Had the pleasure of opening one in the Tallahassee market. It’s gonna cater specifically to area it’s in. I’d imagine lots of grab and go snacks, plenty of HBA and OTC and of course a Disney merch section.

TrojanUSC

The people at HHAGG are great. I will point out that some of their dishes are not what you think you're ordering. For example, I ordered the Chicken Pot Pie; we all know what a Chicken Pot Pie is, right? Nice flaky crust surrounding chicken and veggies in a creamy sauce in the center, right? Not at HHAGG. From a review I wrote once: "It's a big bowl, topped with a "Sombrero" of a round flatbread, and the filling poured into the middle of the bread so it gets soggy and sinks down to fill about half the bowl. Now that filling is delicious ... But this isn't a pie at all, no crust, no flaky pastry dough at all." Brannon R from HHAGG wrote me to say "This is our take on the famous meal, and we're proud to be doing it our own unique way."

IOW, it may be good, but don't expect a "pie" in the HHAGG chicken pot pie and you'll be fine.

The Fried Chicken Eggs Benedict is heaven.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

First retail store opens at the Disney planned Flamingo Crossings just outside Walt Disney World​

Flamingo-Crossings_Full_44276.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom