News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

Zipadeelady

Well obviously Space 220 is a screen ride.
If only Universal had thought of a restaurant concept using screens to make you think you are somewhere else first.
I get it but to spend two full pages arguing over if a screen makes it a ride or not is ridiculous (which it doesn't by the way). I just want to know how Space 220 is. Is it hard to get a table before the reservations start? How long was the wait? How's the food? What does screens from UNI, Oh Canada, China... or wherever else matter in this thread.

Movielover

the loading bay with the Spidey Signal, the truck, the floating Liberty head, the exploding bridge, etc - the only reason to attempt a distinction is because you want to count one and not the other.
I agree with everything you have said, I just also want to point out everything going on with the third act of that ride during the "flying" segments where the tower sets flanking the screens move in sync with the films, and then once again when the Scoop vehicle is "flipped" vertically. The way all the effects in that scene are combined to really make you feel like you are changing axis and floating upwards is very effective! I know there are no AA's in that ride, just moving set pieces but it always seemed more than a screen ride to me. It's just that good!

Sir_Cliff

The jist of the jab wasn't about the use of screens people... stop being so literal.

The jist of the joke is Space 2020 is still just a restaurant with video screen windows. It's a cutdown about the hype of it, and what it basically is. It's a jab at hype vs reality.
Honestly, though, that's part of what reads so weirdly about this snark. It's supposedly a theme park company laughing at another company for bothering to open a themed restaurant instead of just throwing up screens and playing sports because, after all, there's basically no difference, right?

Sure, just an ill-judged joke and sometimes Uni's jabs at Disney are genuinely amusing, but I do think it's an indication that maybe they need to start reconsidering their brand's personality. This Tweet reads to me a self-own because it suggests Uni is where you go if you just want to eat in a sports bar with giant screens and not bother with all that theming nonsense while Disney is where you go if you want a highly-themed dining experience. In other words, it's clear which is the higher-end product in the theme park market here.

Maybe, though, they do want to position themselves as the park for those who do kind of roll their eyes at Disney's efforts at theming and prefer more straightforward thrills.

Last edited:

Hawg G

Honestly, though, that's part of what reads so weirdly about this snark. It's supposedly a theme park company laughing at another company for bothering to open a themed restaurant instead of just throwing up screens and playing sports because, after all, there's basically no difference, right?

Sure, just an ill-judged joke and sometimes Uni's jabs at Disney are genuinely amusing, but I do think it's an indication that maybe they need to start reconsidering their brand's personality. This Tweet reads to me a self-own because it suggests Uni is where you go if you just want to eat in a sports bar with giant screens and not bother with all that theming nonsense while Disney is where you go if you want a highly-themed dining experience. In other words, it's clear which is the higher-end product in the theme park market here.

Maybe, though, they do want to position themselves as the park for those who do kind of roll their eyes at Disney's efforts at theming and prefer more straightforward thrills.
They should have shown the inside of Toothsome, such an obvious thing.

Ponderer

Yep it FEELS like Epcot. Amazing this got greenlit and wasn't changed to like "BUZZ LIGHTYEAR'S SPACE RANGER RESTAURANT!"

I was in a WDW forum yesterday where dozens were quite seriously lamenting the tragic missed opportunity of making it a Wall-E restaurant.

For those who have argued with me about why Disney is getting IP into everything when obviously no True Disney Fan wants that, I invite you to spend five minutes with THAT buzzsaw. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom