News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

sedati

Maybe it's for the driver CM to get on the shuttle?
1631549924079.png

The winding structure looks to be over twelve feet in height. Why? It is tall enough that if you stood to the right of it the view of the artificial berm would be blocked, only the trees above would be visible. Cast have done fine walking outside- you don't need this giant zig-zagging tunnel to take out the trash.

sedati

This appears that you're boarding a Disney bus which is themed as a transport on the inside but probably looks like your average bus to everyone else while on the road. Then when you reach backstage of SWGE you exit the transport and into a ST ship then exit from that into SWGE?
Forgive the crudity of my mock-up. Think of the illusion on RotR. You're in box that aligns with a shell of a ship. The bus could do something similar. All we'd do is exit through a door that from the other side looks like the shuttle craft from the Halcyon-not whatever the actual bus ends up looking like.

I put the Starspeeder there to show how another shell could cover the backstage equipment quite easily. All these elements could create a small courtyard space that would make this backstage area an onstage one- if that's in fact what they're doing.

EeyoreFan#24

No, because you physically can't. I still fully believe they will let people leave the Starcruiser if they want to.
At the end of the day, I don’t think they have a choice, because they are not as sea, and the building has exits.

the question for me is….do they let them back in.

I think that might be the only decision. If the guest know you only go back to earth once, either the themed shuttle or the back door and there’s no return, that may be the only and best tactic to discourage it.

UNCgolf

At the end of the day, I don’t think they have a choice, because they are not as sea, and the building has exits.

the question for me is….do they let them back in.

I think that might be the only decision. If the guest know you only go back to earth once, either the themed shuttle or the back door and there’s no return, that may be the only and best tactic to discourage it.

Why would Disney discourage it?

I don't see any reason for them to care. You paid them what they wanted; it shouldn't matter to them what you do afterwards as long as you're not disrupting the other guests.

GimpYancIent

Oh I wasn't suggesting Batuu should be empty. I'm just pointing out that as soon as you're there with a bunch of regular Disney guests wandering around wearing Mickey ears etc. you're going to lose the fully in character aspect from the Starcruiser anyways.

Although I suppose even that is dependent on the other people on the Starcruiser with you. They could already ruin it.
The out of sight airlock exit (fire exit) as in back door.

UNCgolf

That’s the basis of my position. Sorry, I should have said that in my previous post.

I think it will be viewed as disruptive, and people returning potentially breaking the immersion.

I think that could be easily mitigated by having the exit/re-entry in a back hallway corner somewhere.

I also don't think there's going to be a mass number of people wanting to leave and come back, especially since the whole experience is only a day and a half.

mmascari

I think it will be viewed as disruptive, and people returning potentially breaking the immersion.
I think that could be easily mitigated by having the exit/re-entry in a back hallway corner somewhere.
They don't need some hide away secret exit and return.

There's an entire room and structure set up to move people from the valet onto the ship. Why wouldn't they just use that anytime someone needs to move from valet to ship? I mean, for staffing and best story experience, they want you to show up during the arrival time block. But, having 1 guy working valet all the time isn't a huge deal.

Likewise, on departure day, they need a way to move everyone from the skip back down to the valet. Do we think on the last day, they just give up on the experience, open a front door, and say "HA! Not really on a spaceship, there's the valet don't forget to tip.". I'm assuming there's some reverse process where they shuttle you down from the ship to the port then out to the valet. A last set of show to usher you out to the valet and complete the illusion that you were on a starcruiser.

Given that they have to have both of those. It's completely within immersion that shuttles would leave the ship and return whenever. Always being between the same destination would be the only story hole, and that doesn't impact anyone not making the trip. So, if someone decides that the ride from valet to ship and ship to valet is the BEST part of the experience, and they want to just go round and round in circles shuttling down and back up, then why not let them?

It's not like that round trip shuttle is the same as taking a round trip tender trip on an ocean cruise. The real tender would have actual costs.

GimpYancIent

They don't need some hide away secret exit and return.

There's an entire room and structure set up to move people from the valet onto the ship. Why wouldn't they just use that anytime someone needs to move from valet to ship? I mean, for staffing and best story experience, they want you to show up during the arrival time block. But, having 1 guy working valet all the time isn't a huge deal.

Likewise, on departure day, they need a way to move everyone from the skip back down to the valet. Do we think on the last day, they just give up on the experience, open a front door, and say "HA! Not really on a spaceship, there's the valet don't forget to tip.". I'm assuming there's some reverse process where they shuttle you down from the ship to the port then out to the valet. A last set of show to usher you out to the valet and complete the illusion that you were on a starcruiser.

Given that they have to have both of those. It's completely within immersion that shuttles would leave the ship and return whenever. Always being between the same destination would be the only story hole, and that doesn't impact anyone not making the trip. So, if someone decides that the ride from valet to ship and ship to valet is the BEST part of the experience, and they want to just go round and round in circles shuttling down and back up, then why not let them?

It's not like that round trip shuttle is the same as taking a round trip tender trip on an ocean cruise. The real tender would have actual costs.
Interesting point! That guests could find the "So, if someone decides that the ride from valet to ship and ship to valet is the BEST part of the experience, and they want to just go round and round in circles shuttling down and back up, then why not let them?" as the "BEST" part of a not bargain basement immersive experience.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
View attachment 586696

The winding structure looks to be over twelve feet in height. Why? It is tall enough that if you stood to the right of it the view of the artificial berm would be blocked, only the trees above would be visible. Cast have done fine walking outside- you don't need this giant zig-zagging tunnel to take out the trash.

I think we can agree that the tunnel is for guests, as you said , the shape make no sense for something that is just utilitarian. The door at the end would make sense to be the loading/unloading area for the shuttle. Maybe the tunnel won't have a roof thus the theming on the back of the entrance.

Incomudro

I don't think it's being themed to look like a spaceship, just a more finished version of the building that's already there. The form matches the front treatment. All I'm saying is it will be guest viewable- from where and why I don't know.

The only other thing I can think of is if the shuttle has a window on the top that would open up in atmosphere. Looking up we would see the natural Florida sky and as our craft enters the structure we would see the building which is why they would need to theme that section. The artwork for the shuttle that takes us up to the Halcyon from earth actually shows such a window, but I don't believe the one that takes us to Batuu includes this (they are very different craft actually.)

View attachment 586690
View attachment 586691

The fact that this shuttles has straps and seat like a bus gives me further hope that it is indeed supposed to be ground transportation on Batuu, and not a flying vehicle.
If it was meant to be a flying shuttle, wouldn't the passengers be belted in and seated?
(I know some are seated, but they are seated as on a bus.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The fact that this shuttles has straps and seat like a bus gives me further hope that it is indeed supposed to be ground transportation on Batuu, and not a flying vehicle.
If it was meant to be a flying shuttle, wouldn't the passengers be belted in and seated?
See.. rise of the resistance

sedati

The craft that takes us up from Earth to the Halcyon has been shown in various forms with no seats and yet is a spacefaring vessel. I've earlier mentioned how the bus/shuttle could be run over intentionally rough pavement to simulate atmospheric entry similar to the German Blocks test on the original Test Track.
The true test will be when those not familiar with what's going on (not on forums) think has happened when they leave the Halcyon and arrive at Batuu.

Incomudro

The craft that takes us up from Earth to the Halcyon has been shown in various forms with no seats and yet is a spacefaring vessel. I've earlier mentioned how the bus/shuttle could be run over intentionally rough pavement to simulate atmospheric entry similar to the German Blocks test on the original Test Track.
The true test will be when those not familiar with what's going on (not on forums) think has happened when they leave the Halcyon and arrive at Batuu.
Got to disagree with you, you can't hide the "bus" in the bus.
Not in start up, idle, pulling away, and coming to s stop. Not without tremendous modifications to the drivetrain and engine, which they have not done.
Take a bus, make it electric, and run it on a rail. Sure, now it's flying.
I can't imagine people who don't know how it's done boarding this thing and not thinking "Is this a bus???"
If it's ground transportation on Batuu, that won't matter.

sedati

Got to disagree with you, you can't hide the "bus" in the bus.
Not in start up, idle, pulling away, and coming to s stop. Not without tremendous modifications to the drivetrain and engine, which they have not done.
Take a bus, make it electric, and run it on a rail. Sure, now it's flying.
I can't imagine people who don't know how it's done boarding this thing and not thinking "Is this a bus???"
If it's ground transportation on Batuu, that won't matter.
When did you see this vehicle to know what was done to it?
An electric vehicle on a smooth dedicated path moving under 15mph might not feel like a normal bus (a guess on my part). A bit of movement would be expected as we detach and pull away from the Halcyon. As would our smooth landing. Sound and rumbles can do a lot. Also, we'll be distracted as we meet our pilot and who knows what's actually going on during the trip.

Last edited:

EeyoreFan#24

Why would Disney discourage it?

I don't see any reason for them to care. You paid them what they wanted; it shouldn't matter to them what you do afterwards as long as you're not disrupting the other guests.

I see your point and they may not care at all, however I just think the audience disney is going to get will be mostly people who do not enjoy breaking immersion, even slightly. I think, Disney thinks people leaving will be viewed as just leaving and bringing in objects forgotten in the car just outside the building. Even if they go through the shuttle process, it will be a reminder to the guest and anyone who sees them it is just an interactive hotel and Disney will not want any experiences suffering negatively by another guest where they have to deal with guest relations issues.

SWGalaxys_Edge

"The Immersive Industry Homecoming Summit Highlights Day Two"

Walt Disney Imagineer Sara Thatcher talked about Walt Disney Imagineering’s most exciting project, Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser. Designed around an experience similar to a cruise, Thatcher said that the familiar structure helps guests to know how to interact. Thatcher also talked about two things she was particularly excited about:

“We’re bringing a light-saber experience unlike anything like you’ve experienced before,” said Thatcher. Another thing she is excited about is how the decisions people make during the experience will affect the story as the experience progresses, even down to selling someone out.

credit: themeparkmagazine.com

EC121yJXYAQgc7Q.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom