News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Beacon Joe

Had 2 coworkers stoked when they first heard about it and we'd discuss updates sometimes. Once the price points came out, they lost interest.

I know a guy in that 501st or whatever that Star Wars LARP group is who is in the same boat and reports much the same reaction from his fellow Star Wars nerds. If I were to bet, while the prices probably dampened their enthusiasm, it was after the 1m 35 second mark in that cringe advertisement that made them all finally say, "nope."

Cesar R M

I know a guy in that 501st or whatever that Star Wars LARP group is who is in the same boat and reports much the same reaction from his fellow Star Wars nerds. If I were to bet, while the prices probably dampened their enthusiasm, it was after the 1m 35 second mark in that cringe advertisement that made them all finally say, "nope."
Speaking of NOPEs.
I wonder how many are youtubers, bloggers, and Disney focused sites vs real clients on the first weeks.

The space restaurant was completely filled to the seam with bloggers on the first days.

Skywise

Actually, it looks more like a coffin-shaped mausoleum.
It occurs to me that this would've been something they could've tied Tomorrowland into. They could've made the entrance look like a pastiche of Star Wars and the Space Mountain spaceport... I know they don't want to mix IPs but this wouldn't have been a "mix" per se...

Beacon Joe

Speaking of NOPEs.
I wonder how many are youtubers, bloggers, and Disney focused sites vs real clients on the first weeks.

The space restaurant was completely filled to the seam with bloggers on the first days.

You just brought back bad memories of when I happened to be at the Polynesian on the day that Trader Sam's reopened, but it was jam-packed full of youtubers and awful "influencer" types for hours and hours.

Beacon Joe

How to create a Galactic Starcruiser knockoff

If you haven't heard of Galactic Starcruiser, it's this super expensive motel next to Hollywood Studios, run by Disney, where rooms are like $100 an hour or more. It's very nice, of course, but most people, like me, can't afford it. Personally, I don't want it. I mean, I want to stay in a themed motel next to Hollywood Studios' parking lot, but I don't want to do it in a $100 per hour windowless motel room. It's too fancy and too much, it's just overwhelming.

So I'm thinking, I can create a Galactic Starcruiser knockoff experience for myself for much less money such that I can afford it. So I found this luxury restaurant in EPCOT Center, a park founded by Disney and is 1.5 miles away from Hollywood Studios and costs about $0 and a potential heat stroke to take a Skyliner there. Restaurant Space 220 has an immersive space view, an integrated space elevator ride, space-themed food, and nice hardscaping. It is surrounded by other space-like attractions and is even walking distance from Mission: Space where I can actually pilot a spacecraft and really feel like I'm in space and is walking distance from a ride in the sky in a space-age looking Monorail. Now, I am not advertising EPCOT Center here, but two days at EPCOT Center will cost you $109 per day. So for the price of just over one hour at Galactic Starcruiser, I can enjoy a space-themed experience for an entire day. And $109 per day is rather doable or at least approachable for a lot of people. I'll never be able to afford a $100 per hour motel room.

So I'm just talking about it to be talking, being that I'm stuck at home with my WDW trip cancelled for this year and the foreseeable future. But it's fun to talk about, you know? It's not going to happen any time soon because my wife doesn't want to spend a day at Space 220. She is making good money, loves Chefs de France and Garden Grill, and doesn't ever want to eat anywhere else. But we are near retirement age and she can't eat baked brie and endless pot roasts forever, and the moment she quits French and fresh American cuisine I am putting on the pressure! In the mean time, we compromise by watching Stargate SG-1 once a year, but our streaming service has grounded to a halt this year and might not restart for several years.

So, what do you think of my Galactic Starcruiser knockoff plan?

Cesar R M

You just brought back bad memories of when I happened to be at the Polynesian on the day that Trader Sam's reopened, but it was jam-packed full of youtubers and awful "influencer" types for hours and hours.
That was the 50th's Magic Kingdom experience lol. The stores were so full of people. Luckily that caused less people in the attractions.
Had mostly 30 minute lines despite the crowds.

kingdead

Before this footage came out, there was some mockery among Star Wars fans, but I think it was tinged with envy over the price point--people thought that this would be a genuinely once-in-a-lifetime experience in the universe of Star Wars that they almost certainly would never get to have.

Now it's more anger about where Disney has taken Star Wars as an intellectual property--Disney doesn't get it, they never will, and they expect fans to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a generic experience that is vastly inferior to what's already out there in terms of Star Wars cosplay, LARPing, VR gaming, etc. Unless footage comes out soon that's a big step up, they've managed to further alienate an already wavering audience into going back to "real Star Wars." (That and the different reactions between sponsored influencers and run-of-the-mill nerds isn't helping.)

Dragonman

They removed the preview video on YouTube.
C4F07FEC-AB29-48F2-8EF5-5BD9C6E54773.gif

Trauma

Before this footage came out, there was some mockery among Star Wars fans, but I think it was tinged with envy over the price point--people thought that this would be a genuinely once-in-a-lifetime experience in the universe of Star Wars that they almost certainly would never get to have.

Now it's more anger about where Disney has taken Star Wars as an intellectual property--Disney doesn't get it, they never will, and they expect fans to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a generic experience that is vastly inferior to what's already out there in terms of Star Wars cosplay, LARPing, VR gaming, etc. Unless footage comes out soon that's a big step up, they've managed to further alienate an already wavering audience into going back to "real Star Wars." (That and the different reactions between sponsored influencers and run-of-the-mill nerds isn't helping.)
I wonder how much more failure they can tolerate before they stop letting the activists run the show.

Dragonman

This monster is all on Disney. They have 14 acres dedicated to a single IP with a treasure trove of characters and one of the THREE characters you can see in the land right now is Vi Moradi. They deserve the backlash and then some.
Are they still doing Mando/Grogu ? If so that’s a step in the right direction.

On a side note I had to lookup who Vi Moradi even is, I don’t see the appeal to meet another “oh look colourful hair” member of the Resistance after the whole Holdo/TLJ controversy. Tons of the background aliens in the films have more appeal than a random human.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

This monster is all on Disney. They have 14 acres dedicated to a single IP with a treasure trove of characters, and one of the THREE characters you can see in the land right now is Vi Moradi. Seriously?! They deserve the backlash and then some.View attachment 604897
Well said. How do you not have Darth Vader, Luke, Han, Leia- characters that have stood the test of time- in your Star Wars Land? It is truly mind boggling!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Apparently cause they don’t fit the era or “narrative” of Batuu they’re trying to push.
Then don't set batuu in a particular narrative or better yet - don't make Batuu. Make Tatooine. Something we know and love. I am sooo glad Disney didn't get Harry Potter. Instead of the amazing and screen accurate Wizarding World of Harry Potter that actually features the places and characters from the films that we love, Disney would have made a generic wizarding town Voldemort visited once with wizards walking around we never heard of before. They dropped the ball on Star Wars soo hard. All they had to do was make a Star Wars themed hotel with characters from all the films walking around with activities from the movies and shows with a Darth Vader helmet shaped pool. Instead...they made this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom