News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

LovePop

How much does a TA cost for that service?
Why get a TA when you can do it yourself? That's half the fun, waiting on the phone with great excitement and anticipation. Even booking an average Disney hotel is exciting, and this just increased the excitement 10 fold. Also, you are getting a concierage level spiel of Disney's most expensive hotel from a trained CM, and you don't want to miss out on that. And then, if you want to cancel and rebook, like 5 times, you are totally free to do so. Disney makes booking very easy for the non-professional. I know this hotel has been more difficult with phone booking only, but come Oct 28 the online booking should be ready, and then it will be a total breeze. Normally, it takes me 5 minutes to book a Disney vacation (and a whole year to figure out what I want -- which hotel, which room type, which one is on sale).

Last edited:

LovePop

Of course it's almost sold out -- if it wasn't this thing would be one of the biggest disasters Disney has ever built.
If SWGS flops it's not a big deal. Disney can just write it off like a movie flop, which happens and normally costs about that much: $240 million. And unlike a movie, the hotel will continue to make money by charging less so that the rooms are filled, just not as much as it was expected to do.

Personally, I'm not expecting it to ever be sold out past the first month, March 2022. I believe Disney's marketing research on this is flawed; they mostly went by the "Build it and they will come" model. For various reasons, that model didn't work for Galaxy's Edge, and it won't work for this the hotel either. The main reason is the oversupply of luxury rooms. The total number of rooms/suites at Disney World that costs more than $2000 a night is perhaps 200, and this hotel increased that suddenly by 50%. There are simply not enough market to support it. Disney was hoping to entice a new market - the vast number of rich SW fans who don't normally come to WDW, or even the non-rich fans to cash in their retirement savings for this once in a life time experience. But given that those fans didn't swarm Galaxy's Edge as they were expected to do, they most likely aren't impressed by the hotel either, which is far more expensive.

The average 5 star hotel with 100 rooms costs $60 million to build and costs about $800 a night, without being all inclusive. The SWGS's construction cost 4 times that much, so it's not unreasonable that they want to charge $3000 a night. There are other all inclusive hotels that cost that much, such as The Point in NY. But the rooms there are much bigger and more comfortable:

171204-331-1024x683.jpg

In comparison, the rooms at SWGS are way too small for the price. And The Point has only 11 rooms, despite being located near a densely populated and affluent region of the East Coast.

If by next March SWGS doesn't become as fully booked as expected, Disney can simply lower the price until demand meets supply. Because the demand is there, it's just that most people can't jump over that high of a price hurdle. I would think that if the standard room comes down to $1000 a night (from the current $3000), all inclusive for a family of 4, it will be fully booked all the time like every other Disney hotel. Disney won't make the money back as fast as planned, but it will make money nonetheless.

UNCgolf

If SWGS flops it's not a big deal. Disney can just write it off like a movie flop, which happens and normally costs about that much: $240 million. And unlike a movie, the hotel will continue to make money by charging less so that the rooms are filled, just not as much as it was expected to do.

Personally, I'm not expecting it to ever be sold out past the first month, March 2022. I believe Disney's marketing research on this is flawed; they mostly went by the "Build it and they will come" model. For various reasons, that model didn't work for Galaxy's Edge, and it won't work for this the hotel either. The main reason is the oversupply of luxury rooms. The total number of rooms/suites at Disney World that costs more than $2000 a night is perhaps 200, and this hotel increased that suddenly by 50%. There are simply not enough market to support it. Disney was hoping to entice a new market - the vast number of rich SW fans who don't normally come to WDW, or even the non-rich fans to cash in their retirement savings for this once in a life time experience. But given that those fans didn't swarm Galaxy's Edge as they were expected to do, they most likely aren't impressed by the hotel either, which is far more expensive.

The average 5 star hotel with 100 rooms costs $60 million to build and costs about $800 a night, without being all inclusive. The SWGS's construction cost 4 times that much, so it's not unreasonable that they want to charge $3000 a night. There are other all inclusive hotels that cost that much, such as The Point in NY. But the rooms there are much bigger and more comfortable:

View attachment 594010

In comparison, the rooms at SWGS are way too small for the price. And The Point has only 11 rooms, despite being located near a densely populated and affluent region of the East Coast.

If by next March SWGS doesn't become as fully booked as expected, Disney can simply lower the price until demand meets supply. Because the demand is there, it's just that most people can't jump over that high of a price hurdle. I would think that if the standard room comes down to $1000 a night (from the current $3000), all inclusive for a family of 4, it will be fully booked all the time like every other Disney hotel. Disney won't make the money back as fast as planned, but it will make money nonetheless.

I meant specifically at WDW, not Disney business as a whole, and also not really financially but just in terms of expected success. Although it will be a disaster financially (in relative terms) too if they projected to sell it out for years at 5K a room and that doesn't happen (I also don't know how much they spent to build it).

I think you're overestimating how easy it will be to just turn it into a regular hotel. That's not to say they can't do it (and they might eventually), but it lacks most of the amenities. There's no pool, no QS to grab a quick meal or snack, and the rooms look tiny. It's not really designed to function as a standard hotel.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

View attachment 594010

They may also have a small percentage of people want to return IF they adapt the interactive portions to resume from their previous trip.
The rooms do look smaller than even the value resorts, maybe just perception. Guess they get away with this as they expect people to be out of their rooms a majority of the stay. Price is hard to swallow, when first released prices it had our family of 3 looking at about 7k cause DD13. When mentioned to DH the prices people have disclosed, said "so not as bad as originally thought". While high, it may have helped some people be more accepting just by prices being lower than expected.

_caleb

If the cruise ship is a repurposed military vessel that would explain why the ship is equipped for a fight, something a few people didn't think made sense. It would also explain why they weren't able to retrofit it to include a pool, just 'sayin.

I continue to wonder if pushing this so hard in the mainstream will cause backlash. It's something a great many people won't be able to access. Will people be upset because their kid read the comics, loves Star Wars, but is heartbroken when mom and dad can't afford to drop half a grand on a two-night event?

Hey everyone, here's a cool new one-of-a-kind only-at-Disney experience, but most of you will never get near it.
For some reason, reading your post (which I think I agree with) made me think of my earlier visits to WDW, where I distinctly remember it feeling like there was so much going on all around–exciting and fun things I knew I'd never actually get to experience. Somehow, this feeling actually made me feel very appreciative of the few things I did get to experience.

For some reason, I lost this feeling somewhere along the way. My more recent trips have sort of left me feeling like I'd gotten to see/do everything I'd wanted to in the parks/resorts.

Wendy Pleakley

For some reason, reading your post (which I think I agree with) made me think of my earlier visits to WDW, where I distinctly remember it feeling like there was so much going on all around–exciting and fun things I knew I'd never actually get to experience. Somehow, this feeling actually made me feel very appreciative of the few things I did get to experience.

For some reason, I lost this feeling somewhere along the way. My more recent trips have sort of left me feeling like I'd gotten to see/do everything I'd wanted to in the parks/resorts.

Yeah, they've lost a few of those "only at Disney" things that stuck with me and made me want to go back. Adventure's Club is a prime example. Those types of things help set Disney apart from Universal or staying on site. Disney Springs and Universal CityWalk for example feel largely interchangeable.

Same thing here. Roleplaying in an interactive Star Wars environment is the kind of thing that stick with people. Cool experiences stick with me and are the kinds of thing I think of when I'm considering going back again. Something like this could fill that niche, but as it is it will only be experienced by a few people.

Putting something similar in the old DisneyQuest location could be a good idea for example. The price of the Starcruiser is too high for my liking, but give me the option to pay for a two-hour experience of a similar nature and I'd be in.

Wendy Pleakley

Why get a TA when you can do it yourself? That's half the fun, waiting on the phone with great excitement and anticipation. Even booking an average Disney hotel is exciting, and this just increased the excitement 10 fold. Also, you are getting a concierage level spiel of Disney's most expensive hotel from a trained CM, and you don't want to miss out on that. And then, if you want to cancel and rebook, like 5 times, you are totally free to do so. Disney makes booking very easy for the non-professional. I know this hotel has been more difficult with phone booking only, but come Oct 28 the online booking should be ready, and then it will be a total breeze. Normally, it takes me 5 minutes to book a Disney vacation (and a whole year to figure out what I want -- which hotel, which room type, which one is on sale).

Spending any amount of time on hold with Disney to book something I've decided on is the opposite of my idea of fun, but to each their own.

Travel agents cost $0 and do all the work for me. What could be better?

It's especially nice when things like discounts or free dining are announced. Everyone and their dog are trying to get through to modify their bookings. Travel agents do that on our behalf.

JoeCamel

Spending any amount of time on hold with Disney to book something I've decided on is the opposite of my idea of fun, but to each their own.

Travel agents cost $0 and do all the work for me. What could be better?

It's especially nice when things like discounts or free dining are announced. Everyone and their dog are trying to get through to modify their bookings. Travel agents do that on our behalf.
Maybe I'm wrong but I read that as dripping with sarcasm

Animaniac93-98

I'd say it's a combination of various attractions/amenities closing over time (Discovery Island, DisneyQuest, River Country, Pleasure Island, Disney Institute etc) and several things still not open yet like Typhoon Lagoon and Hoop Dee Doo.

But the resort beyond the theme parks does feel smaller, even if it's not physically so.

pdude81

Just booked two nights in the star cruiser for June. I was on the phone in total for over three hours. We booked for four adults and two children. We had to get two cabins because of that. In total for the two nights it cost over $12,000. It was crazy and I’m crazy for doing this.
No grand captains suite available, right? That would fit you all in a special room together for probably closer to 14.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Personally, I'm not expecting it to ever be sold out past the first month, March 2022. I believe Disney's marketing research on this is flawed; they mostly went by the "Build it and they will come" model. For various reasons, that model didn't work for Galaxy's Edge, and it won't work for this the hotel either. The main reason is the oversupply of luxury rooms. The total number of rooms/suites at Disney World that costs more than $2000 a night is perhaps 200, and this hotel increased that suddenly by 50%. There are simply not enough market to support it.

Your thinking is flawed - How many suites are there on the Disney ships again? That fill up every week of the year?

If you are focused on a per night spend on this vs something else you'd never get it. The point is it's not a comparison shop - it's an opportunity buy. 'A chance to...'

LovePop

Why make your bed in a hotel when someone will do it for you?
I do make my own bed and clean my own room. I don't let the maid come in for any reason. I like it! But I understand that most people don't. But most people do book Disney trips themselves, I'm pretty sure. I remember reading on this board somebody who booked 2 Captain Suites on March 1 for her family, if my memory is correct. She said it took her 7 hours on the phone and cost $22K total. (Holy cow!)

Last edited:

LovePop

Your thinking is flawed - How many suites are there on the Disney ships again? That fill up every week of the year?

If you are focused on a per night spend on this vs something else you'd never get it. The point is it's not a comparison shop - it's an opportunity buy. 'A chance to...'

I certainly hope that I'm wrong. It won't be to anybody's benefit if I'm right -- not to Disney, and definitely not to Disney fans, who will be fleeced even more than they already are to pay for the missing $180 million.

But I stand by what I said: except for March 1, 2022, I expect no other month to ever be fully booked for the SWGS at the current price model. Some days in a month may become fully booked, such as holidays, but not the entire month.

If I'm wrong, we should know that very soon. April 2022 (or a different month) should become full soon after Oct 28 general booking. If it does, it will prove me wrong.

If I'm right, you should buy me a drink. Because I'm the only one who thinks this. Everybody else expects it to be fully booked for at least a year.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I do make my own bed and clean my own room. I don't let the maid come in for any reason. I like it! But I understand that most people don't. But most people do book Disney trips themselves, I'm pretty sure. I remember reading on this board somebody who booked 2 Captain Suites on March 1 for her family, if my memory is correct. She said it took her 7 hours on the phone and cost $22K total. (Holy cow!)

Yes, if making your bed required a 7hr commitment... or you could just ask someone to do it for you.. don't you think your perspective might shift some? :)

Using a TA has many advantages depending on your situation. Just because you CAN do something yourself, doesn't mean it's always the best choice. For instance, on Disney Cruises the commission to the TA is enough they can often offer on-board credits that you can get that you wouldn't get for booking direct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom