News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

rle4lunch

Just think, in the last 5 years they could've planted some aggressively fast growing trees and taken care of a lot this issue. (Like what they do with bamboo)

I know they probably can't plant anything while needing to have construction going on around the building tho. So if they do opt to mask the building somehow, it'll be another half decade before we'll see it.

TikibirdLand

Just think, in the last 5 years they could've planted some aggressively fast growing trees and taken care of a lot this issue. (Like what they do with bamboo)

I know they probably can't plant anything while needing to have construction going on around the building tho. So if they do opt to mask the building somehow, it'll be another half decade before we'll see it.
Of course, they could have planted Kudzu. I hear it spreads pretty fast. It'll even climb buildings!

Incomudro

When in conceptual phase and they did eyeline studies, someone should have had the courage to say it was unacceptable and something should have changed.

I’m also unsure what a berm would have done for views from WS unless it was 100 feet tall. Not to mention the entry procession on the monorail.

A berm with trees on it could have at least partially obscured the building.
Just breaking up it's silhouette would have helped.

lazyboy97o

I don’t think you really appreciate the massive amount of earth you would need make a berm tall enough to obscure such a large building. Unless retaining walls were built, the slop of a berm is going to be less than 45 degrees. Just 50’ of height would require over 100’ of depth. And even after all that you’d have a bunch of trees randomly sticking up over the rooflines of the other buildings.

Chupaca Bruh

They just need to go back to past lessons. I remember seeing photos of the Magic Kingdom when it was being built and was first open. They built high retaining walls to build up a berm against and then plant trees and shrubs to hide the backs of the buildings. It would have been an easy way to assist in hiding this large building.
1627050089912.png

lazyboy97o

They just need to go back to past lessons. I remember seeing photos of the Magic Kingdom when it was being built and was first open. They built high retaining walls to build up a berm against and then plant trees and shrubs to hide the backs of the buildings. It would have been an easy way to assist in hiding this large building. View attachment 574194
No, a berm would not have been an easy way to hide the building. There’s a huge different in scale between the Fantasyland East show building and the Sausalito box. A 30’ tall building can be obscured by regular trees on flat ground. A building well over 100’ tall is a completely different order of magnitude.

FigmentFan82

I don’t think you really appreciate the massive amount of earth you would need make a berm tall enough to obscure such a large building. Unless retaining walls were built, the slop of a berm is going to be less than 45 degrees. Just 50’ of height would require over 100’ of depth. And even after all that you’d have a bunch of trees randomly sticking up over the rooflines of the other buildings.
hey! this is no place for logic and well thought reasoning!

rle4lunch

No, a berm would not have been an easy way to hide the building. There’s a huge different in scale between the Fantasyland East show building and the Sausalito box. A 30’ tall building can be obscured by regular trees on flat ground. A building well over 100’ tall is a completely different order of magnitude.
Sorry, wrong franchise, but you get the point.

5hej2k.jpg

Missing20K

Suppose those ideas would work (I don’t believe the would), neither of those fixes would do anything about the change in the procession when entering the park on the monorail.

Missing20K

A retaining wall that tall would prob need steppes in it anyway unless you’d use very, very thick precast.

Although, at least then they could have themed it “Peter Quill really likes béton brut” or some such instead of “what’s that big box? Oh it’s the building for GotG”

Bocabear

a berm would work, if they could sink the building 60 feet into the ground and only 40' was above...But no, it would never work in this situation.

DisneyDean97

What’s everyone’s estimate on completion? I thought it was much farther along than what it looks like from the latest pictures. If I had to venture a guess I’d say TRON by Memorial Day next year, and this maybe spring 2023?
I think the common consensus is Tron will open early next year, and GOTG won't be too far behind, either summer 2022, or save it for Epcot's 40th, in October.

gorillaball

This may have been covered already, I have followed the thread pretty closely but have not seen this hypothesized. There is something that has been bothering me and let's see if I can illustrate it well enough. Please shoot this theory down as you see fit.

The one internal view we have had of the coaster we all (or at least I did) assumed to be looking towards the corner that connects to the Energy building, but something about that picture hasn't seemed to line up in my head.

If you look at the amount of slope the track goes down until you get to the front of the building (yellow), it's a pretty decent vertical drop (red)..
1628006955637.png

But if you look at this picture of that drop - between the top of the coaster until it hits the front of the building it appears to be much much smaller.
1628007029801.png

So is it an optical illusion I'm confusing myself on or could we actually be facing a different section of the building in the internal view? and the track is actually not entering/exiting the building at that point?

The below is just a guess as to alternate orientation of the internal photo.

1628007125260.png

thequeuelinelectures

This may have been covered already, I have followed the thread pretty closely but have not seen this hypothesized. There is something that has been bothering me and let's see if I can illustrate it well enough. Please shoot this theory down as you see fit.

The one internal view we have had of the coaster we all (or at least I did) assumed to be looking towards the corner that connects to the Energy building, but something about that picture hasn't seemed to line up in my head.

If you look at the amount of slope the track goes down until you get to the front of the building (yellow), it's a pretty decent vertical drop (red)..
View attachment 577038

But if you look at this picture of that drop - between the top of the coaster until it hits the front of the building it appears to be much much smaller.
View attachment 577041

So is it an optical illusion I'm confusing myself on or could we actually be facing a different section of the building in the internal view? and the track is actually not entering/exiting the building at that point?

The below is just a guess as to alternate orientation of the internal photo.

View attachment 577042
To my eye, that drop off looks exactly like the launch up into the building. Could be wrong but the slope looks right to me

EeyoreFan#24

To my eye, that drop off looks exactly like the launch up into the building. Could be wrong but the slope looks right to me

I agree. Also, I don’t think it would be possible for a train that estopped to make it over that curve/incline before the drop, it looks like it would be gravity fed out the other direction.

On the photos, I think they are correct. It looks like the return brake run is semi visible in the middle heading out of the building.

the photos and time difference do kind of make you take a double take though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom