News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MrPromey

Looks like styrofoam to me.
Sorry, themed styrofoam.
Sorry, themed storytelling styrofoam.

Very common technique since it's incredibly easy to work with for carving, it's incredibly light weight and safe for mounting, and if they really need it to last under conditions of abuse, they can apply fiberglass to it and make it weather resistant enough to be kept outdoors or something that can take a moderate beating from people who can get their hands on it.

As long as they don't have to design with really fine detail for extended close-up scrutiny, this, combined with Trompe l'oeil painting techniques, can pull off the illusion of mass and scale for very elaborate sets.

You've seen it in use many times with various finishes here in Florida on the outside and inside of attractions and in movies (and in Macey's Thanksgiving Day Parade, most of the elaborate Mardi Gras floats - including the ones Universal uses, Chick-fil-a billboard signs with 3D cows, etc.) and probably never realized it.

Even things that don't have to be heavily detailed and will be looked at more closely can be done this way like huge outdoor parts of say, this place:

Seuss_Landing.jpg

A whole bunch of that place is fiberglass covered carved foam (in this scene, I know for fact that the canopy of that carousel is) and it's more hurricane resistant than most homes.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
View attachment 550679
That must be a "high speed" section of the track. If not, it looks tremendously over-engineered.
It is not uncommon to try and standardize materials when designing a structure. It simplifies fabrication, avoids mistakes, and often costs less in the long run.

Sure you end up with a few areas that are overdesigned, but a customer will never call to complain that their structure is too strong.

lazyboy97o

It is not uncommon to try and standardize materials when designing a structure. It simplifies fabrication, avoids mistakes, and often costs less in the long run.

Sure you end up with a few areas that are overdesigned, but a customer will never call to complain that their structure is too strong.
And in the case of steel roller coasters it is often standard steel pipe. If you’re in an area far from the factory or need to meet local sourcing requirements the manufacturer will often let you buy the supports from a local supplier.

kinglsyyy

Yes, designers do group memeber sizes, its simplifies connection designs etc....
And yes the owner typically doesnt know.

co10064

Premium Member
One of the things that has really confused me about this project is how much construction is taking place on the exterior of the old Universe of Energy show-building. I don't know much about construction and it's possible that the final product will give us more insight, but it's almost as if they didn't realize the state of the building before they decided to use it. Seems like for as much work as they're putting into it, they could have just created a purpose built facility.

lazyboy97o

One of the things that has really confused me about this project is how much construction is taking place on the exterior of the old Universe of Energy show-building. I don't know much about construction and it's possible that the final product will give us more insight, but it's almost as if they didn't realize the state of the building before they decided to use it. Seems like for as much work as they're putting into it, they could have just created a purpose built facility.
A condition assessment where the state of the building is evaluated is part of determining if a facility should be reused.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is not uncommon especially in commercial construction to use only a small portion of an existing building to have the project legally classified as a "remodel". In some cases, it can save 6-7 figures in taxes, fees, etc.
A condition assessment where the state of the building is evaluated is part of determining if a facility should be reused.
Correct, but those assessments aren't always 100% correct. Some level of undetected damage is almost a certainty in a project this large.

Purduevian

It is not uncommon especially in commercial construction to use only a small portion of an existing building to have the project legally classified as a "remodel". In some cases, it can save 6-7 figures in taxes, fees, etc.

Correct, but those assessments aren't always 100% correct. Some level of undetected damage is almost a certainty in a project this large.

Someone probably can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a single wall of Under the Sea that is the same wall as 20,000 Leagues show building?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Someone probably can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a single wall of Under the Sea that is the same wall as 20,000 Leagues show building?
I believe so. It is why Disney just does not clear the ground when they shut something down (eg River Country, Discovery Island, etc)

RSoxNo1

So are there any future plans of masking this with tree cover? I know the building is 100+ feet tall so tree cover isn't going to be the only solution but it would help.

FigmentFan82

I believe he's just wrapped on the Christmas/Holiday special, so I'd image the footage for Cosmic Rewind can't be that far behind?

EDIT - never mind. I went back to his Instagram post, and he's still writing the damn thing! :p
If I'm remembering correctly, the soonest anything GotG related being filmed is this fall

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom