News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

FigmentFan82

After the flop-to=be 50th Celebration and non existent celebrations for other EPCOT milestones I have no faith they will do anything more than a T-shirt or merch release for EPCOT's 40th....
I think perhaps the sentiment was that this could be used in marketing as a new attraction that opens during Epcot's 40th, not that there will be large celebrations for the 40th itself

Mac Tonight

Looks like styrofoam to me.
Sorry, themed styrofoam.
Sorry, themed storytelling styrofoam.
Disney unveils new, cutting edge Themed STORYfoam™!

"It really helps us work our distinct brand of storytelling into every nook and cranny we can! Even the building materials get their own unique backstory! Just another step in helping us make everything: More Relevant™, More Timeless™, More Family™, and More Disney™." - Bob Chapek

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Disney unveils new, cutting edge Themed Storyfoam™!

"It really helps us work our distinct brand of storytelling into every nook and cranny we can! Even the building materials get their own unique backstory! Just another step in helping us make everything: More Relevant™, More Timeless™, More Family™, and More Disney™." - Bob Chapek
I can’t believe I missed the opportunity to call it Storyfoam. I’m sure WDI is reading this and writing it down.

trainplane3

I don't think this is anything new but the coming re-release of the Guardians Epcot poster has this to say about the ride:
EPCOT is about to host its first ''other-world” showcase pavilion, where the people of the planet Xandar present their culture and technological breakthroughs. For the climax of the adventure, guests will join the Guardians of the Galaxy on an exciting race through space and time to save humanity!

kinglsyyy

I oversee the engineering and construction department for a state goverment entitiy in Florida.

I cant understand the slowing a project down concept. You are adding costs not lowering. You have mobilzation/demobilization costs, extended general conditions, material and labour escalation etc...

Its one thing to shut a facet of a project down due to some issue that needs resolution, but you typicaly then try to keep the contractor working on other facets, so you dont induce additional costs.

Now if you have multiple contractors working for you, you can delay the start of there portion.

I wonder if these projects are actually progressing on the inside and will and remain mostly finished and un-used.

kinglsyyy

Some are. Others are being slowed as much as possible and paused where possible.

But that’s my point, you don’t save money by slowing or stopping a project, you increase costs.
Typically when a project is stopped, it’s a situation were the company is in serious financial trouble, or they plan to complexly scrap the project and eat the loss.

Neither of these scenarios really match WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But that’s my point, you don’t save money by slowing or stopping a project, you increase costs.
Typically when a project is stopped, it’s a situation were the company is in serious financial trouble, or they plan to complexly scrap the project and eat the loss.

Neither of these scenarios really match WDW.
Or spread the (higher) cost over multiple years? We all know how sharp eyed the mouse pencil boys are.

There’s also covid issues to take into account - with guests, cast, contractors and suppliers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I oversee the engineering and construction department for a state goverment entitiy in Florida.

I cant understand the slowing a project down concept. You are adding costs not lowering. You have mobilzation/demobilization costs, extended general conditions, material and labour escalation etc...

Its one thing to shut a facet of a project down due to some issue that needs resolution, but you typicaly then try to keep the contractor working on other facets, so you dont induce additional costs.

Now if you have multiple contractors working for you, you can delay the start of there portion.

I wonder if these projects are actually progressing on the inside and will and remain mostly finished and un-used.
The idea that Disney builds intentionally slowly to spread costs makes sense back before the huge capex boom a few years ago. One very expensive project loaded into one financial quarter can kill the bottom line of a publicly traded company like Disney and worry (dumb) stockholders.

And keep in mind: The state of FL doesn't care if one quarter shows a big operational net loss. A publicly traded company does.

However, when Disney started spending $4B in capex year after year, the concern of which quarter that expenses land in shouldn't matter much because there's a constant flow of capex outlay month after month, year after year.

Then... COVID. With parks and cruises and film production shut down, everyone thought Disney would be showing huge net operational losses company-wide. However, with those things shut down, there was a lot less spending, and their linear channels were still making a good profit. And so, Disney was just barely breaking even each quarter, surprising everyone and delighting Wall Street. Wall Street then saw that Disney can weather the pandemic and dumped their money in Disney stock.

Disney Corp. is not about to ruin that with big capex expenditures that will cause a quarterly report showing a significant net loss. To accomplish that, some projects are on hold until the parks can reopen consistently and at a rate that produces the usual big net profits which will then finance the stalled projects.

The fiscal year for Disney begins in October. By October, they should be running at full capacity. Look for TRON and GotG to restart their major work then (not that there's been no work... the outside portions of both rides are being worked on).

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I don't think this is anything new but the coming re-release of the Guardians Epcot poster has this to say about the ride:
EPCOT is about to host its first ''other-world” showcase pavilion, where the people of the planet Xandar present their culture and technological breakthroughs. For the climax of the adventure, guests will join the Guardians of the Galaxy on an exciting race through space and time to save humanity!
The prints have been released today, their is another detail I wanted to mention. On the bottom of some of the future attractions it gives an opening time frame.

For example, Play’s said:
“EPCOT's Play! pavilion is scheduled to open in 2021”
Guardians though is different it instead reads:

““Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind is a forthcoming attraction at EPCOT's World Discovery””.

Could mean nothing but worth mentioning.

MrPromey

You are new to the boards, welcome! Each thread is dedicated to the specific topic, so in this case this is a place to discuss the Guardians attraction from its construction to when it opens.

If you have ideas you want to share, it's best to do so in the correct forum:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/imagineer.15/

Sorry to laugh at your post. You going out of your way to help a new member understand is great but given how a lot of our threads go... especially lately, I couldn't help but smile, a little. ;)

Disney Analyst

Sorry to laugh at your post. You going out of your way to help a new member understand is great but given how a lot of our threads go... especially lately, I couldn't help but smile, a little. ;)

I mean... don’t get me wrong... we’ve all helped derail many threads, especially these days haha!

But, at least we all know better? 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom