News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

sedati

Can't wait for Cosmic Rewind to open in the old Horizons pavilion!!

🤔
Last I'll say on the Horizons matter and I'll tie it into Cosmic Rewind.
Imagine adding a ride to Fantasyland that was about fairy tales- not one specific tale, but the genre as a whole. But this ride also included segments devoted to Snow White, Peter Pan, Cinderella, etc. It would be great, but it doesn't fill a need. Cosmic Rewind will both offer a coaster in a coster-less park, it will cover the big bang and the wider cosmos, both of which are now lacking at Epcot.

October82

Last I'll say on the Horizons matter and I'll tie it into Cosmic Rewind.
Imagine adding a ride to Fantasyland that was about fairy tales- not one specific tale, but the genre as a whole. But this ride also included segments devoted to Snow White, Peter Pan, Cinderella, etc. It would be great, but it doesn't fill a need. Cosmic Rewind will both offer a coaster in a coster-less park, it will cover the big bang and the wider cosmos, both of which are now lacking at Epcot.

I'm hoping to be wrong about this, but I've seen nothing to indicate that the connection to the Big Bang and the "wider cosmos" is anything more than window dressing. Epcot 3.0 is honest about being more about Disney fantasy™ than fact, but it is still a shame to see how much the real world has been abandoned in this pavilion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm hoping to be wrong about this, but I've seen nothing to indicate that the connection to the Big Bang and the "wider cosmos" is anything more than window dressing. Epcot 3.0 is honest about being more about Disney fantasy™ than fact, but it is still a shame to see how much the real world has been abandoned in this pavilion.
At least the Big Bang is not a disproven hypothesis, like oil coming from dinosaurs was decades before the original (and revised) Energy Pavilion was built.

October82

At least the Big Bang is not a disproven hypothesis, like oil coming from dinosaurs was decades before the original (and revised) Energy Pavilion was built.

The Energy pavilion had a lot of problems - not just in this regard - and as one would expect given its sponsorship history.

But for the most part EPCOT Center at least tried to aim for something more than its mandate in its substance and style. I really hope to be wrong here, but I don't see a similar effort being made with Cosmic Rewind. I have little doubt that the words "Big Bang" will be said in Cosmic Rewind, but I would wager that more substantive content (about the Big Bang and other things) will have been conveyed by universe of energy, even accounting for all of its varied problems.

Last edited:

doctornick

Appears I'm the only Mission:Space mega fan, and very likely the only person who didn't like Horizons (the imax scene was amazing, I'll give it that.)
I think Horizons is vastly overrated myself. Original Imagination and World of Motion were both better among lost classic attractions (though at least WoM got a solid replacement). I’d probably rate classic UoE higher too.

Horizons has the novel choosing of the final scene but the overall experience to me was fine and certainly repetitive with the rest of FW. I think it’s one of those rides that gets too much credit for groundbreaking tech than for the actual experience. And at least its replacement is aspirational and unique.

Losing the original Journey in Imagination conversely was a devastating loss. One of the greatest Disney rides just destroyed with an insulting replacement

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

I think Horizons is vastly overrated myself. Original Imagination and World of Motion were both better among lost classic attractions (though at least WoM got a solid replacement). I’d probably rate classic UoE higher too.

Horizons has the novel choosing of the final scene but the overall experience to me was fine and certainly repetitive with the rest of FW. I think it’s one of those rides that gets too much credit for groundbreaking tech than for the actual experience. And at least its replacement is aspirational and unique.

Losing the original Journey in Imagination conversely was a devastating loss. One of the greatest Disney rides just destroyed with an insulting replacement
You could sort-of say the same for Horizons, except they didn't just trash the ride system, they killed the whole building. At least Imagination as a building and half the ride track/system still exists. Mission Space, in regards to overall experience, is not nearly as wholesome of an experience as Horizons. It was completely designed around the simulator and not much else. I don't even have to have ridden it to see that.

Also, Horizons didn't kill anybody (as far as we know).

One thing I want to mention, why do you rate original UOE over Horizons? UOE was 100% more dry and educational while Horizons was more fantastical and inspirational. Would love to hear your reasoning there.

UNCgolf

It wasn't about the tech for me -- the omnimax screens were probably my least favorite part of the ride as a kid (not that I didn't like them). The future scenes of the desert, the underwater base, and the space station were my favorites. That's not really surprising, though, considering Carousel of Progress is probably my favorite attraction at the Magic Kingdom and those scenes were very reminiscent of it.

I do think that World of Motion is incredibly underrated, although I wouldn't rank it above Horizons.

doctornick

One thing I want to mention, why do you rate original UOE over Horizons? UOE was 100% more dry and educational while Horizons was more fantastical and inspirational. Would love to hear your reasoning there.

Well I thought the Radok blocks were an awesome effect. And the whole moving theater traveling through giant sets just felt epic. And, quite frankly, I kinda love Dinosaurs.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I disliked Horizons or thought it was bad or anything, just that it wouldn’t be at the top of my list of favorite Disney rides. I didn’t mention it but I also didn’t find it’s music to be all that interesting and having a threat catchy tune is probably one of the things that really makes a difference to me for a ride (Imagination and WoM both had the kind of songs that you’d keep humming and wouldn’t leave your head).

Edit: Just to clarify a bit: I think the concepts featured in Horizons were cool. But they work better as ideas than they do as a ride IMHO. Horizons probably best embodies the (alleged?) everyman complaints about EPCOT Center being "boring and education" among the classic attractions. It showed some inspired futurist concepts but wasn't as "fun" as other rides that had funny scenes or catchy songs or neat effects. I think that's a big reason it was the first of the original pavilions to close (yes, it reopened and outlasted WoM in the end, but it was shut down first). I'm curious if anyone in the know has an idea how it did in guest surveys compared to other FW attractions of its day.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

You mean like some sort of space-y 'tomorrow land'?

Exactly. Both rides would fit better in Tomorrowland.

Guardians should really be in DHS, of course, but it would still fit Tomorrowland better than EPCOT. Mission: Space would be perfect in Tomorrowland.
I'm of the opinion that the IP based futurism belongs in Tomorrowland with the non-IP based futurism belonging in Future World. Dusting off one of my deep cuts, I've said that when Space Mountain ultimately gets its new track, they should rebuild it in Future World instead.

Mickeynerd17

Well I thought the Radok blocks were an awesome effect. And the whole moving theater traveling through giant sets just felt epic. And, quite frankly, I kinda love Dinosaurs.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I disliked Horizons or thought it was bad or anything, just that it wouldn’t be at the top of my list if favorite Disney rides. I didn’t mention but I didn’t find it’s music to be all that interesting and having a threat catchy tune is probably one of the things that really makes a difference to me for a ride (Imagination and WoM both had the kind of songs that you’d keep humming and wouldn’t leave your head).

Edit: Just to clarify a bit: I think the concepts featured in Horizons were cool. But they work better as ideas than they do as a ride IMHO. Horizons probably best embodies the (alleged?) everyman complaints about EPCOT Center being "boring and education" among the classic attractions. It showed some inspired futurist concepts but wasn't as "fun" as other rides that had funny scenes or catchy songs or neat effects. I think that's a big reason it was the first of the original pavilions to close (yes, it reopened and outlasted WoM in the end, but it was shut down first). I'm curious if anyone in the know has an idea how it did in guest surveys compared to other FW attractions of its day.
Interesting.

I understand your reasoning with the dinosaurs and radok blocks. I got to experience the former as Ellen's energy, and they were pretty epic. I personally am more of a technology/space person, so Horizons connects with me more, but hey, to each their own!

Now, horizons not having a catchy tune? I can semi-understand your point, especially with the length, which is my biggest criticism, but either than that it's a really good tune in my humble opinion. Imagination's music is more memorable because the Sherman Bros struck gold with One Little Spark.

As far as Horizons popularity, that's probably a question for @marni1971 , 'cause I really don't know, they were all extremely popular back in the day.

sedati

The Radok screens were cool and a concept I wish could be revisited.
An aspect of the original Energy that I really miss was the final transition back into the first theater. The space shuttle roared off and the song began, we moved ahead into pure imagery that was minimalist and oddly trippy. The mirrors made the vast space feel even more vast as the theater vehicles moved into place and then the whole floor rotated around. A bit nonsensical (we progress from the shuttle to a Saturn V?) and as hokey as the Tomorrow's Child sequence over at Spaceship Earth, but it won me over with sheer scale and unabashed audacity. The videos give you the gist, but it really felt amazing being in that space- I remember it being so disorienting and expansive that when the lights suddenly came on it was almost like snapping out of a daydream.

Last edited:

sbunit

I was wondering if this ride has a shot to open in 2021? I haven't read much of anything about it's time line, as opposed to other attractions like Rat (definitive opening in 2021) and Tron (definitive delay and work stoppage come the end of this year that will most likely push it's debut into 2022). Unless I am wrong, I cannot find any info regarding the anticipated opening of Guardians and work seems to be moving along without any signs of future work stoppage. Is there a chance this ride debuts late 2021?

mitchk

Some pics from the front

Attachments

• 27505CB7-C73D-4E25-8C60-EA5ABD9DB99C.jpeg
    27505CB7-C73D-4E25-8C60-EA5ABD9DB99C.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 910B8C16-A726-4A1A-9D2B-6B9E816F22BD.jpeg
    910B8C16-A726-4A1A-9D2B-6B9E816F22BD.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 294
  • C9D9BA49-F81A-4D89-B9CE-166CDA56FD28.jpeg
    C9D9BA49-F81A-4D89-B9CE-166CDA56FD28.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 302
  • EA350D18-60AE-4707-9794-A9A59EAF7A53.jpeg
    EA350D18-60AE-4707-9794-A9A59EAF7A53.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 311

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was wondering if this ride has a shot to open in 2021? I haven't read much of anything about it's time line, as opposed to other attractions like Rat (definitive opening in 2021) and Tron (definitive delay and work stoppage come the end of this year that will most likely push it's debut into 2022). Unless I am wrong, I cannot find any info regarding the anticipated opening of Guardians and work seems to be moving along without any signs of future work stoppage. Is there a chance this ride debuts late 2021?
Insiders are saying 2022.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Certainly your fist stop for anything Epcot:

Martin not only does amazing and complete ride-throughs, his collection of concept art and construction imagery never fails to impress.

Ok, great video.

The fact that I love Spaceship Earth, I know this would have been one of my favorites to go on again and again any day I was in Epcot. It's crazy because this ride closed in 1999 and I was born in 1992 and went to Disney World multiple times a year growing up. I don't know why I can't remember going on this ride at all. I have memories of so many other rides and shows that have all closed down. It makes me really sad.

Incomudro

Ok, great video.

The fact that I love Spaceship Earth, I know this would have been one of my favorites to go on again and again any day I was in Epcot. It's crazy because this ride closed in 1999 and I was born in 1992 and went to Disney World multiple times a year growing up. I don't know why I can't remember going on this ride at all. I have memories of so many other rides and shows that have all closed down. It makes me really sad.
I probably rode it twice (definitely once) on two different trips spaced a couple of years apart in the early 90's.
I do find it odd that it didn't leave a very memorable mark on me, and watching the videos of it - impressive as the attraction looks - I remembered very little of it.
It kind of blended in in to all of the other "Epcoty" experience.

deWild

Gringotts with much longer coaster segments but minus the tilt-track and motion base.
I like it. However, I’m not so sure I would call this ride revolutionary, it’s more akin to how Avatar was basically Soarin’ on steroids. Granted, a heavy dosage of steroids.

Will Guardians be breathtaking? I have no doubt it will.

"...What was lacking was a public focus for new ideas and concepts, a "center" for the communication of new possibilities for the future - directly to the public. To answer this need, we are developing Epcot Center: a permanent world's fair of imagination, discovery, education, and exploration that combines the Disney entertainment and communication skills with the knowledge and predictions for the future of authorities from industry, the academic world, and the professions. Our goal is to inspire the visitors who comes here, so that they will be turned on to the positive potential of the future and will want to participate in making the decisions that will shape it. We believe that in a world of cynicism and negativism abound, there is another story, and we have chosen, with forethought and conviction, to tell it, and to be the voice of optimism."​
Martin A. Sklar
Vice President​
Creative Development​
WED Enterprises​
November 20, 1981
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
is the most
AWESOME and PERFECT
attraction to lead Epcot and Disney World into the future

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom