News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

bubbles1812

Fully agree. Galaxy ride is probably not even in the top 5 best attractions in Epcot, and that says something when it only has a handful of attractions.

Disney getting a six flags coaster, dash of paint, expensive screens, and a fancy title - never thought i'd see the day.

I'm dubious over the cost of this attraction.

Not even in the top 5? What are you ranking higher? Besides Spaceship Earth. Frozen and Ratatouille? The latter is heavily screened based too, as is Soarin,’ which I’ve never understood the love for, but that’s me. I love Living with the Land, but I’m not gonna pretend it’s the world’s greatest actual ride.

No one has to love it, love it, but not sure how it wouldn’t make your top 5, unless you hate roller coasters.

Anyways… I’ll throw in my two cents, as I rode it for the first time yesterday.

I honestly really loved it. It was a more intense version of Space Mountain, and the Guardians are always fun. I even enjoyed the story and the CGI on the screens. I think it’s a step above Six Flags, for certain, for all those reasons.

Everyone coming off the ride seemed to have had a pretty grand time overall. I have rides I love more, but I definitely don’t hate this one, and I’ll be riding it again tomorrow.

Now off to Peter Pan with the morning rush…

Last edited:

Naplesgolfer

Well my family loved the ride. ( the wife found it too intense) We rode it every day of our trip a month ago. My criticism centers around how much they ultimately spent to build the ride. 500 Million!! Disney seems by all reports to spend more and take longer than their competitors to build comparable rides. Disney needs to fix this going forward. They need so much more ride capacity in all the parks.

Epcot82Guy

I'm still baffled (insane story points aside) why this coaster model came to Epcot and Tron went to MK. The capacity difference is huge, and the SM comparison is true for both. It would seem to make far more sense to add the higher capacity model to MK...

lazyboy97o

I'm still baffled (insane story points aside) why this coaster model came to Epcot and Tron went to MK. The capacity difference is huge, and the SM comparison is true for both. It would seem to make far more sense to add the higher capacity model to MK...
Because Disney doesn’t really have these big grand, long range plans. Doing something with Marvel in Future World was being pushed before Disney decided they needed to quickly drop something into Magic Kingdom.

Winter

I was wondering, compared to other rides in the park, how "intense" (not sure of the best word here) is the Guardians ride? I'm going on it regardless, but my brother really likes guardians of the galaxy but doesn't like going on more intense rides (particularily if there are hills or drops), so I was wondering.

tparris

I was wondering, compared to other rides in the park, how "intense" (not sure of the best word here) is the Guardians ride? I'm going on it regardless, but my brother really likes guardians of the galaxy but doesn't like going on more intense rides (particularily if there are hills or drops), so I was wondering.
(This post has slight ride spoilers for those who don’t want to know anything!) In terms of drops, there really aren’t any massive ones. It’s by far the smoothest coaster I’ve ever been on, and the best way to describe it is it basically feels like you’re “drifting” around. There’s a couple quick parts with some Gs due to the nature of the ride system, and there’s a large spiral helix during which you face inward towards the second half of the ride. In terms of the launch, it’s nowhere as intense as RnRC. If you’ve been on Expedition Everest, think of the backwards section where you’re in the dark going upwards quickly; that’s sort of what the most intense part of the launch feels like, except at the peak you do a 180 to face forward again. If you have any other questions, feel free ask me! (I’ve ridden Cosmic Rewind over 10 times lol)

Br0ckford

(This post has slight ride spoilers for those who don’t want to know anything!) In terms of drops, there really aren’t any massive ones. It’s by far the smoothest coaster I’ve ever been on, and the best way to describe it is it basically feels like you’re “drifting” around. There’s a couple quick parts with some Gs due to the nature of the ride system, and there’s a large spiral helix during which you face inward towards the second half of the ride. In terms of the launch, it’s nowhere as intense as RnRC. If you’ve been on Expedition Everest, think of the backwards section where you’re in the dark going upwards quickly; that’s sort of what the most intense part of the launch feels like, except at the peak you do a 180 to face forward again. If you have any other questions, feel free ask me! (I’ve ridden Cosmic Rewind over 10 times lol)
Yes. Very good explanation.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
to add to that as I rode it this past week for the first time....it does physically turn you left or right and isn't gravity turning you in certain directions. For me, this, along with being mostly in the dark and some tight helixes and fast for being in those helixes made it pretty intense for me. I would be fine with the random direction changes you face if the coaster was about 10% slower, but it may just be me as I don't ride a lot of big coasters like I used to.

I've also heard that if you try to turn your head to focus on the "story" scenes, the disorientation may be worse.

RyMickey

to add to that as I rode it this past week for the first time....it does physically turn you left or right and isn't gravity turning you in certain directions. For me, this, along with being mostly in the dark and some tight helixes and fast for being in those helixes made it pretty intense for me. I would be fine with the random direction changes you face if the coaster was about 10% slower, but it may just be me as I don't ride a lot of big coasters like I used to.

I've also heard that if you try to turn your head to focus on the "story" scenes, the disorientation may be worse.
I agree. Rode it for the first time today and it may very well be my last time. I didn’t feel sick on it or after, but I did feel “uncomfortable” because of the disorientation like you mentioned. I was ready for it to be done by the time I was spinning around the planet at the end.

The preshow and queue were totally solid and created this story. Then you get on the coaster and literally have no idea what is going on during the ride. What this needed were starts and stops throughout where the story developed and eventually was resolved. The nonstop movement made the story a difficult thing to follow.

I was in the second to last car and I’ve read that the back is more disorienting, but I’m not sure I care to even give this another shot. I’m not THAT old (early 40s) but I do find that even Everest’s backward helixes do something to me that makes me uncomfortable — I can handle RNRC without issue but the backwards piece of Everest gives me that “uncomfortable” feeling like I felt during this one.

It doesn’t help that the Guardians are some of my least favorite Marvel characters so my affinity to them is next to nil.

RyMickey

Generally curious if there is first hand experience of someone feeling disoriented in the back of the coaster, but feeling relatively fine if riding in the front? Just wondering if that really made a difference to anyone.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Generally curious if there is first hand experience of someone feeling disoriented in the back of the coaster, but feeling relatively fine if riding in the front? Just wondering if that really made a difference to anyone.
From multiple sources we heard that sitting in the middle (row 5 or 6) is the best location to avoid disorientation.

We requested the middle, which the CM accommodated (we had to wait over on the side until she could fit us in on the next train.)

I suffer from motion sickness and can’t ride Everest, RnRC, and need to close my eyes on simulators (Star Tours, Smugglers Run).

I found the backwards launch thrilling and fun! In fact I felt perfectly fine (eyes open the entire time) until the helix when you travel around the planet. Like you, I was ready for the ride to be DONE. I felt queasy for the next half hour or so.

I’m glad I did it but am not sure I will ride again. But if I do, I will request middle. My family has ridden several times in back and front and can attest that the middle is less intense than either front or back.

correcaminos

Not even close IMO. We rode EE after GotG on the same day (just like an hour or so apart). EE is far more intense than GotG. The spin might disorient some, but in terms of intensity GotG is nothing. In fact GotG isn't terribly intense at all. I do not recall any real Gs going on either. It's biggest issue is motion sickness for some due to how the cars spin inwards or around while facing a screen.

Hints for those times, look for the track. My group that half had motion sickness issues did fine and even rode it once sans meds. EE with meds gives them headaches but not bad.

I rode front once, back once, and center twice. Back is more jarring in general. I prefer front row with some physical issues I have.

RyMickey

Rode this a second time at a private party with a gin and tonic, bourbon and Diet Coke, and shot of bourbon in me…but in the third row instead of the second to last. HUGE difference in my reaction to ride.

Could it have been the alcohol? Sure, but I figured that would’ve made the experience worse. That said, riding front as opposed to back made a big difference in the disorientation that I felt initially.

That said, the story is a mess. Say what you will about the “immersion” and whatnot, but once the ride actually starts, the whole thing falls apart with the story. Maybe a third time in a few months from now will yield different results since I know I will ask to be upfront (which I NEVER typically have to do on Disney rides) and this go around I was just worrying about not vomiting on my boss, but if the goal was to present an actual through line, I really don’t see this as a success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom