News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Mike S

All fair enough points (not sure I agree on Ratatouille being more immersive; have also had a similar detox from the Orlando area), but I would take this one over VelociCoaster, and I love the thrills VelociCoaster delivers.

Now that's a ride where the theming feels bare and meta, albeit fitting to its surroundings.

Flaws and all, they're probably my two favorite rides anywhere right now (Shanghai Pirates could also be in the top group).
Guardians made me feel like I was on a roller coaster in a warehouse looking at screens. Ratatouille is more convincing of making you feel like you’re zipping around Gusteau’s which is helped greatly by the physical sets. VelociCoaster convincingly puts you in the Raptor Paddock and at least to me the meta humor there works better. All they need to do is update the River Adventure next to tie everything more together.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Guardians made me feel like I was on a roller coaster in a warehouse looking at screens. Ratatouille is more convincing of making you feel like you’re zipping around Gusteau’s which is helped greatly by the physical sets. VelociCoaster convingly puts you in the Raptor Paddock and at least to me the meta humor there works better. All they need to do is update the River Adventure next to tie everything more together.
That’s fair. I would compare the ride portion of Cosmic Rewind to the third act of a major Marvel blockbuster (actually far better IMO), in that the substance might not fully be there, but the fun + music factor are exactly where they need to be for a fantastic time.

I also never found the Guardians to be lacking, as the narration felt persistent enough, but can understand why people would’ve preferred them to join the journey visually as well.

Finally, I absolutely love VelociCoaster! That’s one ride where the ‘minimal’ theming totally fits what it is, and the coaster design itself is glorious. Kudos to Universal for making that one happen so quickly.

Also, credit where credit’s due, the indoor queue plus intro scene of Ratatouille do a great job setting the mood. It’s when the ‘chase’ starts that things decline for me, but that opening setup is so well-done.

Casper Gutman

That’s fair. I would compare the ride portion of Cosmic Rewind to the third act of a major Marvel blockbuster (actually far better IMO), in that the substance might not fully be there, but the fun + music factor are exactly where they need to be for a fantastic time.

I also never found the Guardians to be lacking, as the narration felt persistent enough, but can understand why people would’ve preferred them to join the journey visually as well.

Finally, I absolutely love VelociCoaster! That’s one ride where the ‘minimal’ theming totally fits what it is, and the coaster design itself is glorious. Kudos to Universal for making that one happen so quickly.

Also, credit where credit’s due, the indoor queue plus intro scene of Ratatouille do a great job setting the mood. It’s when the ‘chase’ starts that things decline for me, but that opening setup is so well-done.
I think you're being a bit unfair to MCU blockbusters here. While it is true that, at their worst, they descend into exchanges of brightly-colored power-beams, for the most part they avoid this trap. Many Marvel climaxes serve effectively as the emotional climax of the protagonists' arcs - think of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Civil War, or The Winter Soldier. Even when they don't work at that level, they tend to be well constructed as a series of individual, distinct beats or gags, arranged not unlike the panels of a comic book - think of Spider-Man: No Way Home, Thor: Ragnarok, or Avengers.

Its precisely on these terms that Cosmic Rewind seems to stumble. Despite laboriously establishing Quill's emotional connection to EPCOT the attraction does nothing with that backstory, and the ride is without emotional stakes for any of the heroes - or the guests. Even more inexplicably, the entire ride portion is one constant journey through undifferentiated space with little visual variety. This is particularly odd since the pre-show sets up such an elaborate backstory and the "jumpgate" formula is the perfect conceit to establish a set of visual beats or quick comedic gags, which is how Gunn uses it in the films.

EricsBiscuit

Since some time has passed since riding this on day 2 of opening and I’ve had time to think it over I’ll share my thoughts.

I was excited for this ride when I saw it announced in attendance at D23. Of course I’d miss UoE but I got closure with that long ago when on the last ride it broke down and I got to walk around the diorama. I’ve gone to Disney and Orlando in general less and less over the years except for when something new opened so I feel like I’ve “detoxed” so to speak and look at things with a bit more of an unbiased eye.

With that said, this ride is definitely fun but it lacks substance. Even Mission Breakout (GASP!) better utilizes these characters. The screens are completely unconvincing of anything and it shocks me how this ride’s construction budget was rumored to be around $500 million. The theme is a complete miss with only the tiniest of bones thrown in a meta “we’re in Epcot!” fashion. Ratatouille is a much better fit for the park than this is and far more immersive of an experience. If you’re looking for a new greatly themed roller coaster in Orlando that’s both fun and blends in greatly with its surrounding environment, look no further than the VelociCoaster.

This should’ve been in Tomorrowland.
If this was in TL I guarantee they would have replaced SM with it.

DonaldDoleWhip

I think you're being a bit unfair to MCU blockbusters here. While it is true that, at their worst, they descend into exchanges of brightly-colored power-beams, for the most part they avoid this trap. Many Marvel climaxes serve effectively as the emotional climax of the protagonists' arcs - think of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Civil War, or The Winter Soldier. Even when they don't work at that level, they tend to be well constructed as a series of individual, distinct beats or gags, arranged not unlike the panels of a comic book - think of Spider-Man: No Way Home, Thor: Ragnarok, or Avengers.

Its precisely on these terms that Cosmic Rewind seems to stumble. Despite laboriously establishing Quill's emotional connection to EPCOT the attraction does nothing with that backstory, and the ride is without emotional stakes for any of the heroes - or the guests. Even more inexplicably, the entire ride portion is one constant journey through undifferentiated space with little visual variety. This is particularly odd since the pre-show sets up such an elaborate backstory and the "jumpgate" formula is the perfect conceit to establish a set of visual beats or quick comedic gags, which is how Gunn uses it in the films.
Agree to disagree - there are absolutely some great Marvel third acts, but I find many of them (even in otherwise-iconic films like Black Panther and Shang-Chi) to be a CGI slog.

Cosmic Rewind is much, much more entertaining than that baseline.

Like Slinky Dog (mediocre effort) and Mission Breakout (impressive what they pulled off), it punches well above its weight on the fun factor, which is ultimately the one I value most. It's also a lot more ambitious than something like Slinky, and a lot more fun than something like Ratatouille or MMRR. Only Rise arguably tops it at both, and I find Cosmic Rewind to be much more fun.

13 rides in, and it remains one of my top 3 attractions worldwide. Whatever they paid for it was worth the cost in my eyes.

mergatroid

Agree to disagree - there are absolutely some great Marvel third acts, but I find many of them (even in otherwise-iconic films like Black Panther and Shang-Chi) to be a CGI slog.

Like Slinky Dog (mediocre effort) and Mission Breakout (impressive what they pulled off), it punches well above its weight on the fun factor, which is ultimately the one I value most. It's also a lot more ambitious than something like Slinky, and a lot more fun than something like Ratatouille or MMRR. Only Rise arguably tops it at both, and I find Cosmic Rewind to be much more fun.

13 rides in, and it remains one of my top 3 attractions worldwide. Whatever they paid for it was worth the cost in my eyes.
Out of interest are you paying LL to ride or using the free boarding groups? Only asking because 13 rides means it appears reasonably easy for you to get on?

DonaldDoleWhip

Out of interest are you paying LL to ride or using the free boarding groups? Only asking because 13 rides means it appears reasonably easy for you to get on?
The first day I attempted to ride (last Saturday, 6/4), failed to secure a boarding group and didn't purchase the LL.

The next 6 days (Sunday - Friday), opted for both, and the last few VQ attempts continuously got an 'instant' boarding time. Wednesday to Friday included a ride companion as well.

On Saturday, DHS was our park of choice, but on Sunday I landed one more boarding group. Was also the first in line that day; first train on Sunday was "Disco Inferno."

So besides day #1, had an incredibly easy time riding!

Also, no regrets going for all the ILLs I did, as it took 12 rides for me to hit 6 songs.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Based on the data we have, everyone who wants to ride can ride every day without issue. The early morning boarding groups go pretty quickly, but ILLs are available for hours and the 1 PM drop is usually available for 30+ minutes (and often over an hour) except on Mondays. Even on Mondays it lasts several minutes so as long as you're ready at 1 you'll get one.

correcaminos

I agree this one is very easy to get on. We were easily getting our BGs when we tried. I did not our very first day as I refused to pay for internet on the plane while flying and we weren't sure we'd have enough energy to do a ride trying at the 1pm drop. All three times I tried (2 7am and 1 6pm) I was a part of the first groups to be called (2x got BG1). Easy peasy to get on really compared to Rise. Remy was also not hugely difficult for me either and this feels about the same.

flyakite

I’m sorry if this has been answered previously. If you get a VQ at 7:00am, are you likely ride before or close to the next drop of VQs at 1:00pm?

Casper Gutman

I think you highlighted two of the worst Marvel third acts (as much as the movie has to offer, I think Black Panther may have the worst final conflict sequence). I would argue those absolutely aren't the baseline - Captain America 2 & 3, GotG 2 & 3, Avengers 3 & 4, Ant-Man 2, Dr Strange 1 & 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 3, and all of the MCU Spider-Man films strike me as much more representative, broadly follow the pattern I discussed, and make up the vast bulk of their recent releases. If the most comparable filmic experience to a new ride is the final fight in Black Panther (a segment I believe was hugely rushed in editing and SFX, accounting for much of the lackluster final product in an otherwise very good movie), its not a great compliment.

Anyway, I'm mainly just arguing about MCU films - which believe me, I'm happy to keep doing!

I think we also profoundly disagree about MMRR, but to each their own.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I’m sorry if this has been answered previously. If you get a VQ at 7:00am, are you likely ride before or close to the next drop of VQs at 1:00pm?
I got 96 today and was on around 2:30. It started out reporting much later and then the time kept pulling in earlier and earlier.

Since I was staying at a resort, I also bought ILL just after 7AM and that boarded around 11AM.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A few benches have been added to the extended outdoor queue area under the umbrellas.

472B9AD3-E232-417C-9168-00D9910CC587.jpeg

gerarar

Premium Member
Cross-posting this from the VQ thread, but here are all the drops from the past month, since the ride's been officially open for exactly 31 days now:
scatter_plot-25.png

GOTG: Cosmic Rewind has been open for exactly a month now (31 days exactly).

So now we can look at the trends for the past month!
  • 7am drops are slowly trending upwards.
  • 1pm drops remain, for the most part, open for great lengths – with a few exceptions like Mondays.
  • 6pm drops are the quickest of 'em all, but are also slowly trending longer.
View attachment 648753

Given CR's high capacity, it's good to see the afternoon drops lasting longer, as it gives the average guest time to ride the newest headliner. Also park hoppers are eligible for most days during the week, particularly on the weekends.

Comparing to past VQ offerings like ROTR and Rat, CR is already beating these two, thanks to many variables like ride capacity, park capacity, height requirement, etc.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Can confirm. I got my boarding group about 3 minutes late after 1:00 pm on June 3rd... Granted, the return time was 8:59 pm. lol. I got on though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom