News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Vinnie Mac

If they're offering vomit bags I definitely won't be able to enjoy this ride, which sucks. What's funny is that I can ride Mako back to back many times, while intoxicated on some occasions and be fine, but put me on something that rotates and I'm done lol.
To be fair, rotation and airtime are different types of forces. I can handle both but I can definitely handle airtime better.

Casper Gutman

This is the problem with modern disney attractions... The most thrilling rides I dig are splash, space and big thunder mountains.

If I wanted thrill rides, I'd go to six flags or one of hundreds of other thrill parks. But I don't dig thrill rides...

Bring back Ellen! :p
Disney rides are supposed to be aesthetically, conceptually, or even intellectually thrilling. Physical thrills are by far the easiest to achieve - any amusement park can do it. That’s part of why Disney has come to rely more and more on physical thrills as their design abilities have precipitously declined.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like the pre-show may be matching actual ride capacity. Both are efficient, but at least on opening day they were sending through empty cars because they weren't able to stack people at load / unload as efficiently. This is a good problem to have, and a far cry from the operational issues in the other direction.
Oddly it has been this way throughout the previews and now into full opening.

dreday3

I get queasy on any simulator ride. Smugglers, rocking rollercoaster, FOP all get me a bit off. I still ride them but I know when to close my eyes for a moment to help me orient myself. Star tours I refuse to get on.

For guardians, I just closed my eyes during the parts where I felt off. My advice is to close them for a few seconds during the turns and to try to keep your sight line forward. There’s one big swirly section that I’d recommend to shut your eyes for. There’s really not a whole lot to “look” at other than at the beginning. Shutting my eyes helped me come off the ride doing just fine.

Exactly the kind of information that is helpful to me, many thanks!!!

mergatroid

$450 million for a coaster that either A) Many people won’t even ride, or B) Will ride once and never ride again.

WDI: “Controlled rotation on a roller coaster, what could go wrong?”

Lol GIF
Austin Powers Reaction GIF
I'm interested where you researched this, could you please link it up?

lazyboy97o

Looks like the pre-show may be matching actual ride capacity. Both are efficient, but at least on opening day they were sending through empty cars because they weren't able to stack people at load / unload as efficiently. This is a good problem to have, and a far cry from the operational issues in the other direction.
Losing operational capacity is not a good problem. Preshows can and should be pulsed to match operational capacity.

Animaniac93-98

Disney rides are supposed to be aesthetically, conceptually, or even intellectually thrilling. Physical thrills are by far the easiest to achieve - any amusement park can do it. That’s part of why Disney has come to rely more and more on physical thrills as their design abilities have precipitously declined.

Just an observation, think about how many roller coasters opened in WDW during its first 30 years. 4; Space Mountain (1975), Big Thunder Mountain (1980), The Barnstormer (1996) and Rock 'n Roller Coaster (1999).

Now think about how many will have opened in the last 10 years 4; Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (2014), Slinky Dog Dash (2018), Cosmic Rewind (2022), TRON (2022/2023).

It's interesting how Disney is increasingly relying on coasters for new rides, instead of inventing their own thrill system (Star Tours, Test Track, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror, Mission: Space, Soarin') or building long-form multimedia attractions.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Oddly it has been this way throughout the previews and now into full opening.
It feels like it might just be a victim of the overall very high capacity of the attraction itself. When they start up the day from zero it seems to take some number of cycles of the pre-show to get the queue in load up to a level that most trains can go out full. It feels like something OPS can adjust for as they understand it in the coming days/weeks.

celluloid

Just an observation, think about how many roller coasters opened in WDW during its first 30 years. 4; Space Mountain (1975), Big Thunder Mountain (1980), The Barnstormer (1996) and Rock 'n Roller Coaster (1999).

Now think about how many will have opened in the last 10 years 4; Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (2014), Slinky Dog Dash (2018), Cosmic Rewind (2022), TRON (2022/2023).

It's interesting how Disney is increasingly relying on coasters for new rides, instead of inventing their own thrill system (Star Tours, Test Track, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror, Mission: Space, Soarin') or building long-form multimedia attractions.

Definitely a trend in major parks as Universal's has increased and Sea World/BGT have given up on their once in a while simulator or dark rides.

Animaniac93-98

Definitely a trend in major parks as Universal's has increased and Sea World/BGT have given up on their once in a while simulator or dark rides.

Of all the Orlando parks SeaWorld is the one that clearly wants to be seen as a "coaster park" and I think that's a good strategy for them.

I also like most of their coasters, so I'm looking forward to more.

celluloid

Of all the Orlando parks SeaWorld is the one that clearly wants to be seen as a "coaster park" and I think that's a good strategy for them.

I also like most of their coasters, so I'm looking forward to more.
I agree Sea World and BGT have always had the best thrill quality. It is a shame they have up on theming almost.completely though.

Mid to late 90s were quite a time for Orlando, Tampa and Williamsburg.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You said many will never ride or it’s a 1 and done? Doesn’t seem like it and that’s not even .005% of the tweets

Take a step back for a moment. First off, as someone who peruses several social platforms, your numbers are a gross exaggeration. Second, think of how many millions of people visit the parks every year. You really think there are that many tweets from people who A) post on social media, B) took the time to tweet about their experience, C) had a positive experience, and D) even if they didn’t will ride and ride and ride again?

Logic, not emotion.

solidyne

To be fair, rotation and airtime are different types of forces. I can handle both but I can definitely handle airtime better.
Would you say that "rotation" includes Primeval, Teacups and the "airtime" includes Space and Tower? If so, do you think GotG is more in the former category? Where does, say, Star Tours fit in?

I'd love to see the different kinds of motion sickness outlined.

solidyne

Nailed it. Money is only a secondary issue. This comes down to the brains in the heads of the Imagineers.

I guess the geniuses, if we're allowed to identify such things anymore, and if they still exist, have moved on to other pursuits... video games? :rolleyes:

ETA: Not a hater....headed to Epcot (sorry, EPCOT) next week!

Vinnie Mac

Would you say that "rotation" includes Primeval, Teacups and the "airtime" includes Space and Tower? If so, do you think GotG is more in the former category? Where does, say, Star Tours fit in?

I'd love to see the different kinds of motion sickness outlined.
Primeval would be a mix of rotation with a hint of airtime. Teacups is purely rotation. Space is ejector airtime and somewhat strong positive g-forces and Tower is more so freefall (which I guess you could say would be floater airtime). Though I have yet to ride GotG, I'm assuming it'd be a mix of all the previously mentioned forces (besides free falling).

mergatroid

Umm… posts in this thread?
Yet you criticised somebody for judging it from posts on twitter, yet your evidence is from a few posts on WDWmagic.com?

Take a step back for a moment. First off, as someone who peruses several social platforms, your numbers are a gross exaggeration. Second, think of how many millions of people visit the parks every year. You really think there are that many tweets from people who A) post on social media, B) took the time to tweet about their experience, C) had a positive experience, and D) even if they didn’t will ride and ride and ride again?

Logic, not emotion.

Without going back over every answer I recall most people querying whether they can manage this attraction and asking for comparisons, saying they'd try it out when it was compared to EE but less than R'n'R. I remember very few saying "I won't ride this" or "It's definitely one and done for me" which is what you're claiming enough Epcot visitors will do based on a few posts on here, hmmmm?

So out of all the millions of people who visit Disney every year, you think that the number on here questioning the ride somehow means a large percentage of the general public won't ride it? Many of the posts about nausea are from the same posters continually bringing it up even though the majority of them haven't experienced the ride yet.

At the risk of being accused of being a booster or 'shutting down the discussion', let's look at it logically. Yes people have become sick on this attraction (as happens on many attractions worldwide) and yes, Disney (or any theme park) would prefer nobody to become sick on a ride or refuse to ride it because they feel it too 'wild'. However 'thrill rides' are designed to scare, excite or create fun by moving you in ways that you normally don't move. By doing this there's always going to be a group of people who won't be able to ride without getting sick. My wife won't do Space Mountain or any mountain, does she represent enough of the population that makes all of Disney's mountains something to be laughed at? I'd even go as far as to say that it may cause more issues than expected, however for you to 'shut down' somebody quoting tweets from people saying they had no problem yet using people talking about it on here as factual evidence that a large enough group of people won't ride or will only ride once holds as little validity surely?

celluloid

How long until one station becomes light spinning locked programming and capacity is skewed?

Kidding. I hope it does not get to that point, but I was not expecting sick bags to The Mission Space level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom