News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

lazyboy97o

I've just had a chance to watch a ride video of Symbolica and I'm not sure I understand your point. This seems to me that there are some choices you can make but on the whole we are talking about predetermined paths and outcomes. I'm open to different points of view here, but I'm struggling to understand why you think Luigi is not a trackless system with a predetermined number of end points as opposed to the predetermined number of endpoints that would be had in Symbolica even if you made a choice as to which path to follow.

It seems to me a much better ride than Luigi at a much lower overall cost, but I'm not getting your point.

Not taking any shots at you here, I may just be missing your point. Feel free to enlighten me.

Like the poster above me (well now above Penguin) I’m not taking any shots, just curious. The Rollicking Roadster vehicles frequently cross each other’s paths as well as their own, and I feel like that would be impossible to pull off with a wire guided system or any form of track (and could that possibly be as smooth?). Are you suggesting it could be done?

And on a more general note, why do you dislike the choice to use LPS?
Symbolica was in comparison to Rise of the Resistance. Wire guided systems today are capable to switches, Ys, crossovers, double backs, multiple paths and all sorts of other movements. A wire guided system can even be used to mate a ride vehicle to a drop vehicle.

The problem with true trackless systems is that they’re an incredibly expensive means of typically accomplishing something that can be done for significantly less. What it enables isn’t so much new means of storytelling as much as it enables the worst problems of the industry and Disney in particular, overspending and indecision. Instead of committing to and designing to a ride path you get these big massive, expensive dead spaces that can be minutely futzed with endlessly.

dreday3

Someone on Twitter said this is a new description... not sure if it is...

An Extraterrestrial Escapade​

Begin your adventure by touring the Galaxarium—a planetarium-like exhibition showcasing the similarities and differences between Xandar and Earth’s galaxies. You’ll even get to discover some of the incredible wonders of Xandar and learn about their technology.
Just as you are about to reach the culmination of the tour, everything goes sideways, and you are called into action to help the Guardians of the Galaxy. Are you ready to rock out on an awesome quest across the cosmos to save the galaxy? It’s all up to you!​
This family-friendly attraction features the first ever reverse-launch on a Disney coaster and is one of the longest enclosed coasters in the world! A new innovation from Walt Disney Imagineering—this coaster rotates 360 degrees so you can focus on the action!​

So that description - particularly the highlighted sentence - is kind of a nod to the edutainment factor of Epcot. We're learning, but then we have to save the planet.
Which happened to me at the Science and Industry Museum when we were visiting, so it's plausible.

ToTBellHop

So that description - particularly the highlighted sentence - is kind of a nod to the edutainment factor of Epcot. We're learning, but then we have to save the planet.
Which happened to me at the Science and Industry Museum when we were visiting, so it's plausible.
So, the Test Track 2.0 model: learn in the queue and then board the ride and, “woah! What is happening to me?!”

yensidtlaw1969

"Just as you are about to reach the culmination of the tour, everything goes sideways, and you are called into action to help the Guardians of the Galaxy. Are you ready to rock out on an awesome quest across the cosmos to save the galaxy? It’s all up to you!"

This makes perfect sense - after all, everyone knows that the best way to solve a problem is to ride a roller coaster about it. That'll get those Guardians' issues solved right quick.

UNCgolf

So... it's basically the Dinosaur story but with more popular IP. Still makes absolutely no sense in Epcot. (I'm sorry, but this loose reference is lipstick on the story pig.) But, the ship is so far out in harbor, the "other" audience has clearly won.

Makes absolutely no sense in original EPCOT. While I think that was the best theme park ever built and would absolutely prefer to have all the original attractions back (even with their outdated content) than what they're doing now... it's dead. As much as we wish it wasn't, Disney has been very clear that they're no longer interested in the original version of EPCOT.

This ride doesn't make any less sense than Frozen Ever After or the Nemo ride, or really that much less than Ratatouille. This is the future of EPCOT, unfortunately for those of us who preferred it the other way.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

Makes absolutely no sense in original EPCOT. While I think that was the best theme park ever built and would absolutely prefer to have all the original attractions back (even with their outdated content) than what they're doing now... it's dead. As much as we wish it wasn't, Disney has been very clear that they're no longer interested in the original version of EPCOT.

This ride doesn't make any less sense than Frozen Ever After or the Nemo ride, or really that much less than Ratatouille. This is the future of EPCOT, unfortunately.

No doubt. And, there is a version of new Epcot I wouldn't enjoy - but would at least make sense. Right now, the lands and their stories are becoming hodgepodges to allow popular IPs to be shoehorned. At least Mission: Breakout became an anchor for a land that kind of relates. I fear Epcot is going to go the way of Tomorrowland with vaguely space/future/internet/pretty lights on one side and anything that mentions the country name once on the other.

The complete abandonment of layered storytelling is what is really killing me with new Disney.

WDWJoeG

No doubt. And, there is a version of new Epcot I wouldn't enjoy - but would at least make sense. Right now, the lands and their stories are becoming hodgepodges to allow popular IPs to be shoehorned. At least Mission: Breakout became an anchor for a land that kind of relates. I fear Epcot is going to go the way of Tomorrowland with vaguely space/future/internet/pretty lights on one side and anything that mentions the country name once on the other.

The complete abandonment of layered storytelling is what is really killing me with new Disney.
What makes you think at this point they care at all about theming or making Epcot different than any other amusement park?

We fans continue to live in the nostalgic past while the company screams in our face they don't care.

We need to move on, they have.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Given: I dislike IPCOT (Intellectual Property, Center of Themes). However, if we must have an IP-related roller coaster, wouldn't TRON have made much more sense here? I feel as though a technology/computers pavilion could have actually fit in the Old Epcot. They could have put Guardians in Tomorrowland.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
However, if we must have an IP-related roller coaster, wouldn't TRON have made much more sense here?
I think the coneite here is that it talks about the big bang theory and the origins of the universe. Personally, I think they should have made the Play Pavilion space themed as well and found a way to connect all three pavilions in that area to a wider "space" theme.

Epcot82Guy

What makes you think at this point they care at all about theming or making Epcot different than any other amusement park?

We fans continue to live in the nostalgic past while the company screams in our face they don't care.

We need to move on, they have.
I'm not sure I follow this sentiment (and may be misunderstanding your point, admittedly).

I have moved on. I now consider myself a fan of Old Disney. I used to make multiple trips a year. Moved to Orlando recently with the original intent of visiting often. I now go maybe once a quarter to Disney Springs. Not even considering any form of ticket or pass because they have eviscerated the things about Old Disney I loved.

So, I come here to post and discuss with other people who share those concerns. I know the decisions by modern Disney have been made - hence my actions. But, Disney made the decision to decide its fan base. I refuse to say I have to either accept what they do or be silent and move along. I know Disney management is very clear in it's direction for New Disney, but I can still talk about what I enjoy and comment on it from the perspective of an Old Disney fan.

Even if Disney doesn't care - some of us still do. So we find this outlet where we can. (As can others who love the New Disney changes.) WDWMagic is a discussion board that allows open discussion. And, I for one greatly appreciate that.

Epcot82Guy

I think the coneite here is that it talks about the big bang theory and the origins of the universe. Personally, I think they should have made the Play Pavilion space themed as well and found a way to connect all three pavilions in that area to a wider "space" theme.
While not my favorite overall, I totally agree.

Have Test Track pushed into World Celebration along with the Spine and IMAG (though I still say it should have been Epcot Center - celebrating human creativity and ingenuity ala the original park's mission). Then you could have easily done Guardians, Mission:Space and some whimsical planet o' characters (maybe in a retro space theme). Then World Discovery could have been space themed. That at least would make cohesive sense.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
While not my favorite overall, I totally agree.

Have Test Track pushed into World Celebration along with the Spine and IMAG (though I still say it should have been Epcot Center - celebrating human creativity and ingenuity ala the original park's mission). Then you could have easily done Guardians, Mission:Space and some whimsical planet o' characters (maybe in a retro space theme). Then World Discovery could have been space themed. That at least would make cohesive sense.
And I think we're forgetting about the only IP that makes perfect sense in EPCOT, especially when the Wonders of Life actually still existed: Inside Out. They literally made an attraction that uses a very similar concept to Inside Out decades before the movie came out. Then the attraction sat there unused and (for a while) untouched when the film came out. Such a wasted opportunity. But I don't mean to get us off-track here. I still think Marvel characters have NO PLACE in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom