News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

EricsBiscuit

Mission: Space is the one EPCOT pavilion that is better now than it was when it opened. Having two distinct missions and the restaurant makes it feel more like a complete experience that's worth visiting more than once. I also appreciate that it is the spiritual successor to all the Disney trips to space that came before it (Flight to the Moon, Mission to Mars etc).

Having said that, it's still a weaker pavilion than it could be. Ideally, the "ride" would be like the Sea Cabs or Hydrolators, leading to a more extensive opportunity to learn about the red planet where we feel like we're actually there. As is, there isn't much to see in the queue and when you get off it's equally unimpressive. Its always been a "...that's, it?" kind of moment.

And as far as simulator rides, it's neither as fun as Star Tours nor as visually compelling as Soarin'. It has one major gimmick, and starts the ride with it, leaving the rest to feel a bit underwhelming. Again, the idea is stronger than the execution.

It's also unfortunate to have it in the same park with Soarin'. Green feels somewhat repetitive and less interesting because while the view is different, you don't get the variety of scenery that Soarin' has, nor the time to soak it in.
I always thought they missed the boat by not putting in a EMV dark ride on Mars using some simulator as the pre show. Closest thing is RotR ig.

James Alucobond

What logical reason do they have for repainting this YET AGAIN?! Have they not spent all the budget they set aside, or what?
If that's the case, I know a certain CoP that could use the funds...
Again, they’ve only changed their minds once on this project in terms of actual paint application, from copper to charcoal. The white that has been applied to the frontmost rib on the left is likely either a primer or something to actually repair the surface. This rib in particular seemed to take paint really unevenly for whatever reason.

TikibirdLand

Again, they’ve only changed their minds once on this project in terms of actual paint application, from copper to charcoal. The white that has been applied to the frontmost rib on the left is likely either a primer or something to actually repair the surface. This rib in particular seemed to take paint really unevenly for whatever reason.
admittedly, I didn't see these in person. Have you seen it? Did the gray look splotchy? Maybe it's just me. But, I make my kids buy those small sample mixes from Home Depot before they go with a final color. There's no "changing minds" once the materials are bought.

James Alucobond

admittedly, I didn't see these in person. Have you seen it? Did the gray look splotchy? Maybe it's just me. But, I make my kids buy those small sample mixes from Home Depot before they go with a final color. There's no "changing minds" once the materials are bought.
This one was never painted gray. It’s been copper the whole time, presumably because they need to do something to it. The copper on the top two thirds looked very different from the application on the bottom third, so either they used different batches of paint or the surface was taking it differently for some reason.

CntrlFlPete

I just found it so odd. I agree that looks to be primer in white -- it has the sides primed as well yet the charcoal ribs still have tan on the sides.

James Alucobond

I just found it so odd. I agree that looks to be primer in white -- it has the sides primed as well yet the charcoal ribs still have tan on the sides.
To the extent that progress has been visible to the public, it’s not been necessary to do this to the other ribs. The others were painted the same way with no apparent primer; outward-facing surface first, inside edges second, design details last. I think there’s just something wrong with this rib. As I can’t see it firsthand, I won’t immediately assume it’s primer, but there was definitely something odd about the surface in photographs before this that wasn’t the case with any of the others.

TikibirdLand

This one was never painted gray. It’s been copper the whole time, presumably because they need to do something to it. The copper on the top two thirds looked very different from the application on the bottom third, so either they used different batches of paint or the surface was taking it differently for some reason.
Here's a photo from December. It appears that all the left-side ribs have been painted. What am I missing?

Attachments

• cosmic-rewind-paint-15-6854880-scaled.png
    cosmic-rewind-paint-15-6854880-scaled.png
    888.9 KB · Views: 76

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Seems like the paint thing is a combination of trying to keep the budget low, but also working against different color choices, and realizing that they would have to do more to fix the underlying issues?

Feels like a lot of stuff is happening by committee. Was there any other Disney buildings that met this kind of paint issue before...I mean they did the color swatches on the Communicore building recently before deciding on a final color

celluloid

So I have been hearing that this coaster will have less screen use of the actors than Mission Breakout's main footage in the ride.

Anyone think there is any truth to this?

It makes it sound like 15 seconds, then we see some characters later and get them for five before I am guessing the reverse launch and then the finale, we get around 10 seconds. It seems like this is extremely short but kind of a bummer if the case that we only total a minute or a little over of time with the characters in the ride. But not totally hard to fathom. I would love for this to be wrong though.

Most of the witnessing of film characters will come from the preshow/queue, and even that seems to be Groot and Rocket's message and Glenn Close and similar characters that are not seen in the films.

James Alucobond

OK. I'll say it. That looks terrible! Texture, paint. All of it! Just... wow.
Haven't the ribs, uh, always been that texture? Or ... at least I think they have been for as long as I can remember. I think folks have perhaps forgotten that you rarely get close to them anyway when the park is functioning normally. More than half of them are supposed to be backstage, and the six or so ribs that aren't are situated in dead ends you normally wouldn't approach.

Also, anything is better than the rainbow ribs, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom