News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Hawg G

not too related, but Id really like to see a rollercoaster like arthur in europa, somewhere in a disney park. Its like a half coaster, half darkride slow suspended rail coaster. they also built one in the new universal studios in beijing themed to jurassic world, but that one has a massive floor running under most of it and it ruins the ride

The Universal one is ruined because it has ZERO show scenes. MInd boggling.

sedati

what is that?
That's the Bell Systems ride at the 1964 World's Fair.
Here's some details about the system:
1,000 seats.
14 min ride.
4,285 hourly capacity

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 4.13.18 PM.png

Stills were taken from this recent video starting @ 10:40:

Also check out 2:08 to see the IBM pavilion that likely inspired the Mosasaur scene in Jurassic World.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 4.29.04 PM.png

Here's a great video all about that pavilion:

Last edited:

No Name

Dark rides are a medium, just like film. Like film, they can present a multitudes of genres. WoM was comedy, SSE serious/dramatic, JiI fantasy/whimsical. Nobody complains, "Man, I am so tired of films. I saw one last week and now there are like, four more this week."
Man, I am so tired of films. I saw one last week and now there are like, four more this week.

seriously though, I get tired of films sometimes

Casper Gutman

Man, I am so tired of films. I saw one last week and now there are like, four more this week.

seriously though, I get tired of films sometimes
Ok, Ok, Ok, but what if the film was much much shorter, with much less detail, and we kicked the back of your seat while you watched? That would be totally exciting and really get the kids involved! And then… what if we opened almost the exact same very short, basic film with physical jolts in five different places in the cinema? I bet you’re not tired of THAT!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just popping in to share some math. FY2022 budget for D+ is the équivalent of them building this attraction 72 more times. Imagine if they invested some of this money into the parks.

Disney is already a leader in theme parks. They're attempting to be a leader in streaming, which is not just a nicety or gravy, it's a necessity for the company.

When the pandemic hit and parks and theaters were closed, it was Disney's linear channels that continued to bring in a profit, enough to keep them near a break-even point. If they didn't have those linear channels, a pandemic like the one we just had could bankrupt the company leading to a breakup of the company. The money to prime the reopening of the parks came from home entertainment.

If you want the company to be healthy and to continue to survive such that they can withstand the next pandemic (or Great Recession or the next 9/11), you want that home entertainment to be profitable. And home entertainment is moving from broadcast/cable to streaming.

Casper Gutman

Disney is already a leader in theme parks. They're attempting to be a leader in streaming, which is not just a nicety or gravy, it's a necessity for the company.

When the pandemic hit and parks and theaters were closed, it was Disney's linear channels that continued to bring in a profit, enough to keep them near a break-even point. If they didn't have those linear channels, a pandemic like the one we just had could bankrupt the company leading to a breakup of the company. The money to prime the reopening of the parks came from home entertainment.

If you want the company to be healthy and to continue to survive such that they can withstand the next pandemic (or Great Recession or the next 9/11), you want that home entertainment to be profitable. And home entertainment is moving from broadcast/cable to streaming.
This is true.

It is equally true that, for Wall Street and entertainment execs in general, streaming is very very sexy and theme parks have never been sexy - even if theme parks have helped provide the money and IPs that enable streaming and are far more vital to Disney’s brand image then streaming will ever be.

The core of Disney’s image is and will continue to be two things - animation and theme parks. And Disney’s top execs hate that.

castlecake2.0

Oh I totally get that, I haves worked in many business segments of “the Company” and understand that sometimes we have to help other LOBs out for the greater good. I just want like 1 or 2 of the 33 billion that D+ is getting. I’m not asking much lol

lazyboy97o

Oh I totally get that, I haves worked in many business segments of “the Company” and understand that sometimes we have to help other LOBs out for the greater good. I just want like 1 or 2 of the 33 billion that D+ is getting. I’m not asking much lol
It is always the parks that have to help, and the American ones at that. Movies under performing, the parks need to cut. Park in Asia over budget, the American parks need to cut. Easter in a different quarter, the parks need to cut. Just reinvesting more of the money generated by the parks could be huge.

sedati

I was at the fair many many times. Huge capacity was a must when you consider they were planning for 70,000,000 people in 12 months (only 55,000,000 showed up tho). Even then rides like Bell and Futurama had 2-3 hour lines!
Futurama 2 (it was a sequel attraction) claimed 5.500 people an hour:

Tightly spaced rows of three all looking awkwardly sideways:
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 12.27.29 PM.png

And if you want to know what Horizons would be like if it were done entirely with models and devoid of personality:

Rich Brownn

Futurama 2 (it was a sequel attraction) claimed 5.500 people an hour:

Tightly spaced rows of three all looking awkwardly sideways:
View attachment 602990

And if you want to know what Horizons would be like if it were done entirely with models and devoid of personality:

And Futurama still had 3-5 hour waits nearly every day. Oy the lines, that I remember so well....

James Alucobond

I thought that had started painting over the terracotta I hate it so much
They did. There's a portion on the eastern side of the building now behind the trees where they tested a charcoal color and did some preliminary stenciling on top of it. It's unclear which direction they will ultimately go in as the color in the concept art itself has changed over time.

trainplane3

They did. There's a portion on the eastern side of the building now behind the trees where they tested a charcoal color and did some preliminary stenciling on top of it. It's unclear which direction they will ultimately go in as the color in the concept art itself has changed over time.
They make a solid point...and I've been wondering the same this whole time.
1638295399974.png

Last edited:

EeyoreFan#24

Maybe wild speculation here, but I don’t think the stationary load does any favors when it comes to guest movement. The train waits for them. With the moving load there is the perception of a fixed distance you have to get settled and a visual interruption if you mess up the flow.

I think more moving platforms would make the guests feel they need to be more consistent leading to more consistent dispatch times set by operations. However, we all know they won’t dump someone off the end unbelted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom