News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

SteveAZee

I don't begrudge them holding Rat until the 50th. They have to be able to offer something new.....

As for Tron, who knows, it is pretty aligned here by most they picked the wrong park, picked the wrong spot, and quite frankly should have expanded the area and lost speedway if they were not going to update it. But don't forget part of the original plan was to "TRON" the speedway, but budget cuts killed that.

But hey, maybe in time for 40th Epcot?

Seriously though, while I totally agree the delay and time to build this is ridiculous, it will be open for the 50th by all reports, at least halfway through the celebration....
What I don't understand is... the attendance is (and has been) as much as they can handle, and probably will be as they continue to hire and open up more things. Is the idea of waiting to open Rat for the 50th something symbolic? Do they really feel like it's the only way to get people to come see the parks is both the 50th celebration AND new attractions at the same time? They could instead have a new attraction that's acting as a bit of a people eater and draw people away from more crowded areas.

MrPromey

You know…it would be nice if I ever got an Answer as to why the hell this one is taking so long?

this isn’t guardians….this is a clone where modifications and fabrication are computer generated.

deliberative pacing is so low rent.

Cut 'em some slack!

We all know that ladder is special but it's not the TARDIS. It has limits, man! 🙄

Last edited:

MrPromey

What I don't understand is... the attendance is (and has been) as much as they can handle, and probably will be as they continue to hire and open up more things. Is the idea of waiting to open Rat for the 50th something symbolic? Do they really feel like it's the only way to get people to come see the parks is both the 50th celebration AND new attractions at the same time? They could instead have a new attraction that's acting as a bit of a people eater and draw people away from more crowded areas.

It's also not like it would be the first time something that opened near a celebration gets pulled in and called a part of it. Heck, there is stuff that should be done during the span of that event that we expect they will call part of it (though the people that visit during the first half may feel a little different) so it shouldn't be an issue and yet...

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't begrudge them holding Rat until the 50th. They have to be able to offer something new.....

As for Tron, who knows, it is pretty aligned here by most they picked the wrong park, picked the wrong spot, and quite frankly should have expanded the area and lost speedway if they were not going to update it. But don't forget part of the original plan was to "TRON" the speedway, but budget cuts killed that.

But hey, maybe in time for 40th Epcot?

Seriously though, while I totally agree the delay and time to build this is ridiculous, it will be open for the 50th by all reports, at least halfway through the celebration....
You should…because they have built things as part of a “celebration” and opened them before…

ever seen this:

1627418585337.jpeg

It’s really not that hard…build ride, staff ride, soft open ride. Then promote it for 5 years like they are going to anyway.

and this “for the 50th” is perhaps the dumbest thing in the history of wdw as a reason…

they would lose no business by opening a trackless (3rd of 3…none very interesting) early and will gain none by waiting. It’s not Disneyland…you don’t get spur of the moment crowds that will show up months early…and that was before travel planning was destroyed by the plague

it’s just saving a few bucks on staff. Nothing more.

don’t stick your head in the sand on this…😎

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is the electric/Tron speedway totally dead in the water now? Or is it just shelved until budgets come back?
Of course it’s dead…just like the Mickey theater and the poppins ride and anything to not make Epcot look more “weird” as it will when all those walls are down.

this is the game…and the WDI “talkers” just spread it around because they never really understand.

or the management can be really sinister and make us all pay for going for 10 more years and then throw one of those things up as a “bone” after they turn off capex for a long spell.

they always win.

MrPromey

You should…because they have built things as part of a “celebration” and opened them before…

ever seen this:

View attachment 575064
It’s really not that hard…build ride, staff ride, soft open ride. Then promote it for 5 years like they are going to anyway.

and this “for the 50th” is perhaps the dumbest thing in the history of wdw as a reason…

they would lose no business by opening a trackless (3rd of 3…none very interesting) early and will gain none by waiting. It’s not Disneyland…you don’t get spur of the moment crowds that will show up months early…and that was before travel planning was destroyed by the plague

it’s just saving a few bucks on staff. Nothing more.

don’t stick your head in the sand on this…😎

If I recall, it was the same story with the original Test Track opening in 1999 (due to technical issues that put it years behind) and the Millennium Celebration as with Soarin' in Epoct for the “The Happiest Celebration on Earth” which was Disney parks' celebration of the DL 50th - they tried to make it look like us getting Soarin' with a hand-me-down movie that didn't exactly fit Epcot was a tribute.

Whatever - it was a cool ride so we played along.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If I recall, it was the same story with the original Test Track opening in 1999 (due to technical issues that put it years behind) and the Millennium Celebration as with Soarin' in Epoct for the “The Happiest Celebration on Earth” which was Disney parks' celebration of the DL 50th - they tried to make it look like us getting Soarin' with a hand-me-down movie that didn't exactly fit Epcot was a tribute.

Whatever - it was a cool ride so we played along.
Test track was like 4 years and $200 mil overdue…

soarin’ was a bone because they had done NOTHING for years…but they just treated it like a clone…it didn’t have six months of dust sitting on it behind a wall:

people do realize that rat could have been opened in like February, right?

or short of that…Memorial Day…the traditional time when parks open new things.

and before I get a “they didn’t need it…”

BULL!!!
That park has slowly rotted for 20 years

MrPromey

Test track was like 4 years and $200 mil overdue…

soarin’ was a bone because they had done NOTHING for years…but they just treated it like a clone…it didn’t have six months of dust sitting on it behind a wall:

people do realize that rat could have been opened in like February, right?

or short of that…Memorial Day…the traditional time when parks open new things.

and before I get a “they didn’t need it…”

BULL!!!
That park has slowly rotted for 20 years

I may not have worded that the best but I meant that they kind of did the same thing as RnR with both Test Track and Soarin' - not that they followed the same path as Rat (at all).

Test Track was supposed to open in early '97 and eventually opened at the very end of '98. Not exactly four years late* but seriously delayed, none-the-less.

I give 'em a little credit there, though, because those delays had to do with their ambitions exceeding their ability with some of what they were trying to do at the time with inventing a new ride system. They weren't dragging their feet or trying to open it late and the original goal was a complete opening just a bit more than two years after WoM closed - I still have my copy of the WDW Explorer somewhere with (cartoonishly bad) simulated footage of the door opening scene and promoting it as coming in '97.

Just the same, it opening in '98 didn't stop them from including it as one of the new attractions for the Millennium Celebration and running it as a "soft" opening until then, just as you're suggesting they should have done with the Rat.

Of course, with Test Track and Soarin' they also had something they don't (that I know of) with Rat, which was sponsors, so it wasn't just the paying public they were trying to please with opening those as soon as they were ready and not a moment later, not that - to be clear - I'm saying that is an excuse for sitting on this one in a park that has needed more attractions at least as long as FP+ has been around (but in reality, much longer).

*I agree it felt like 4 years late at the time - epecially when stopping by to check out progress on every vist - but it was about 4 years total between the closure of WoM and opening of Test Track so even that with all it's problems took less time than it takes Disney to open the doors to comparatively simple clones these days.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Once again, TRON was announced before it was designed.

... and with D23 right around the corner, I can't wait to hear what we have to look forward to and seeing the concept art for what they plan to some day design and maybe even build in the next 5-10 years if it doesn't get quietly scrapped or budget cut too much between now and my son going off to college. 👍

lazyboy97o

I’m not trying to put him on blast…

but it wasn’t a “blank slate”. I just don’t need Low level WDI grade excuses these places tend to disperse.

it’s not easy…but it’s replicating a mountain…not building one
How long does it take you just to carefully read 1,000 pages much less ones that are 3’ x 4’ in size?

J4546

the newest pics show the smaller side building is def gonna be pretty big inside. In shanghai its a corporate sponsored lounge area, its probably gonna be the same but golly if they made a flynns arcade thatd be so much cooler

lazyboy97o

the newest pics show the smaller side building is def gonna be pretty big inside. In shanghai its a corporate sponsored lounge area, its probably gonna be the same but golly if they made a flynns arcade thatd be so much cooler
The photos show that it is a rather small building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom