News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

montyz81

There is supposed to be a tunnel - hopefully there will at least be a nice lighting package added to the interior of the tunnel to make it feel like you’re traveling through the tron theme.
19th-century train with a 1980's game movie lighting package. This would be the pure definition of breaking theme. It would be like a Tomorrowland cast member walking through Adventureland.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
19th-century train with a 1980's game movie lighting package. This would be the pure definition of breaking theme. It would be like a Tomorrowland cast member walking through Adventureland.

How is that any different than the 19th Century train going through futuristic Tomorrowland already?

You mean like this?...

"There are some who say that this steam train is a little old-fashioned — but for me, it’s the only way to travel. Of course, there are those who prefer to hit the highway, and on the right, you just might spot some pint-sized drivers taking their first spin behind the wheel of a car. Gettin’ from place to place is a big deal in Tomorrowland, where you might board a PeopleMover, zip around on the Astro Orbiter, or book a flight across the galaxy at our busy Starport in Space Mountain. Tomorrowland is truly a world on the move!
Speaking of moving, seems like a whole lot of new neighbors have been migrating in from all corners of the Milky Way. There’s that rascally Experiment 626 — better known as Stitch — always up to his usual antics. Buzz Lightyear is scoutin’ for a few good Space Rangers. Even the monsters of Monstropolis have taken a shine to Tomorrowland. I hear those monsters are pretty funny (they’re sure funny-lookin’).
Yup, the future is here today at the Magic Kingdom — and the future looks like a lot of fun. But after workin’ on the railroad all the live-long day, it’s nice to come home to good old Main Street, U.S.A. Inspired by the small-town dreams of a young Walt Disney, a walk down Main Street is like steppin’ back into the early years of the 20th century. Of course, ours is a Main Street of the imagination, and we’ve got our own hometown hero: Mickey Mouse! Mickey and his friends have gathered at the Town Square Theatre, and they’re always happy to meet their fans!"

Movielover

You mean like this?...

"There are some who say that this steam train is a little old-fashioned — but for me, it’s the only way to travel. Of course, there are those who prefer to hit the highway, and on the right, you just might spot some pint-sized drivers taking their first spin behind the wheel of a car. Gettin’ from place to place is a big deal in Tomorrowland, where you might board a PeopleMover, zip around on the Astro Orbiter, or book a flight across the galaxy at our busy Starport in Space Mountain. Tomorrowland is truly a world on the move!
Speaking of moving, seems like a whole lot of new neighbors have been migrating in from all corners of the Milky Way. There’s that rascally Experiment 626 — better known as Stitch — always up to his usual antics. Buzz Lightyear is scoutin’ for a few good Space Rangers. Even the monsters of Monstropolis have taken a shine to Tomorrowland. I hear those monsters are pretty funny (they’re sure funny-lookin’).
Yup, the future is here today at the Magic Kingdom — and the future looks like a lot of fun. But after workin’ on the railroad all the live-long day, it’s nice to come home to good old Main Street, U.S.A. Inspired by the small-town dreams of a young Walt Disney, a walk down Main Street is like steppin’ back into the early years of the 20th century. Of course, ours is a Main Street of the imagination, and we’ve got our own hometown hero: Mickey Mouse! Mickey and his friends have gathered at the Town Square Theatre, and they’re always happy to meet their fans!"

So that just confirms the train is a sci fi time travel train? I guess it does fit in Tomorrowland, which means 80's style lighting is perfect for it!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So that just confirms the train is a sci fi time travel train? I guess it does fit in Tomorrowland, which means 80's style lighting is perfect for it!

It does strike me a bit odd to have rides which seem to be more like tours of the park than existing to be actual rides in and of themselves:
  • WDWRR
  • TTA
  • Riverboat
  • Monorail pass through Epcot
Nothing says "breaking the theme" like narration pointing out other rides you can be on instead! ;)

Three of them are in one park!

Movielover

It does strike me a bit odd to have rides which seem to be more like tours of the park than existing to be actual rides in and of themselves:
  • WDWRR
  • TTA
  • Riverboat
Nothing says "breaking the theme" like narration pointing out other rides you can be on instead! ;)

Monorail and TTA feel appropriate, The Riverboat travels large distances just like the Jungle Cruise does. The Train is the only one that really breaks the different lands theme's.

Movielover

It was hidden or attempted to be hidden by the berm
tomorrowland-storybook-circus-path-hudson-expressway-12-1024x682.jpg

Ah yes, the tracks that you can't see here because they are hidden behind the berm... :rolleyes:

TrainsOfDisney

• WDWRR
  • TTA
  • Riverboat

Those are my favorite attractions. If you go back to opening day you’d add the swan boats, skyway, and all of the Main Street vehicles to that list as well.

I think sometimes we as park fans and the imagineers can overthink things. At Disneyland it doesn’t make sense that as I exit on the top floor of Alice in my caterpillar that I can see a monorail gliding past the Matterhorn.... but I never say “oh no it’s a broken theme” because it just works and it is charming and it’s fun.

180º

Love this!

This is a very cool, heightened reality, iconic Disney sort of aesthetic akin to seeing Cinderella Castle from Main Street or the Matterhorn from the Mark Twain. There’s so much more to great design than narrow, literal replications of a certain setting for the sake of “immersion.” Separately, these icons may immerse you in their separate settings. Together, they may not belong by their own standards but they work together brilliantly in the context of the Magic Kingdom as a whole.

Also note how everything in this image is great show. Space Mountain and the steam train are both iconic, memorable, and pleasing to look at. That’s why this scene works but the Harmonious barges and GOTG box don’t.

Captain Barbossa

I’m just sad that I’ll never get to take photos like that again. When 3 trains were operating it was pretty much non-stop activity along that pathway. I’d camp out on a cold day and hope the engineer would open the cylinders!

There will still be the little stretch between fantasyland and tron at least.
I know exactly how you feel. The “tobacco trail” was the best place in all of MK to watch the WDWRR. I could find a spot and easily spend an hour taking pictures. Those days are gone, unfortunately.

In addition, we’re also losing Tomorrowland Crossing, or it at least it definitely appears that way. In other words, we’re losing a great whistling spot. The crew would often cut loose and show off their quilling skills while approaching the crossing. They’d put on a show. Again, those days are gone. :(

MichRX7

Premium Member
In addition, we’re also losing Tomorrowland Crossing, or it at least it definitely appears that way. In other words, we’re losing a great whistling spot. The crew would often cut loose and show off their quilling skills while approaching the crossing. They’d put on a show. Again, those days are gone. :(

One thing we all know about cast members. Where there's a will, they'll find a way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom