News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

JohnD

yeah basically redo the entirety of tomorrowland with a new space mountain as the centerpiece. It will never happen of course but i can dream. I think the entire east side of dl (tomorrowland and the nemo/autopia area) is terrible, esp when you compare it to the west side. And I would love it if they bulldozed all of it and built brand new stuff assuming it was well thought out and good of course because right now its just a giant waste of space to me. and i realize im in the minority here.

Hate to say it but I feel the same way about MK. I spend most of my time on the west side and eventually only make my way to Tomorrowland for Space Mountain and PeopleMover (when it's open).

_caleb

Projections that don’t.
LOL my favorite:
IMG_3335.jpeg

matt9112

Ya'll talking about the brake upon entering the show building, but this is after all "mid brake: the coaster." Too many mid brakes in the ride kills the thrill.
Proper mid brake run spacing can be seen on montu....the brakess should BARELY touch the train...there primary job should be to establish block zones and adjust speed slightly for heavy trains...they should not be used as some kind of pacing item for the rid experience....if the coaster is slowing down alot at a mid brake i think the coaster design is hot trash. You know in your cad how fast and heavy your cars will run....build the track layout accordingly. Montus mid brake is almost not noticed before it ripps you down into the right hander. Mako also has a great brake that is mostly not noticed as well.

_caleb

Proper mid brake run spacing can be seen on montu....the brakess should BARELY touch the train...there primary job should be to establish block zones and adjust speed slightly for heavy trains...they should not be used as some kind of pacing item for the rid experience....if the coaster is slowing down alot at a mid brake i think the coaster design is hot trash. You know in your cad how fast and heavy your cars will run....build the track layout accordingly. Montus mid brake is almost not noticed before it ripps you down into the right hander. Mako also has a great brake that is mostly not noticed as well.
YES! We definitely want roller coasters at Disney to be much more like the unthemed tracktangles found at regional amusement parks!

_caleb

You can have both. Big Thunder Mountain, Hagrid’s, Everest, Mummy, and Space Mountain all have well-integrated brakes that don’t negatively affect the experience.
I agree! I was being cheeky about the comparison between Disney and others. And the comment that brakes should NOT be used "as some kind of pacing item for the ride experience" seemed very strange to me. Disney has been pushing into the roller coaster/dark ride hybrid approach for a while now (and others are following suit), and I think it works really well to add some family-friendly thrills to dark rides.

_caleb

How is this related to the design of the coaster itself? If anything lousy mid-course brakes are more in line with what regional parks build.
I agree! A heavy-handed use of brakes can be annoying and distract from the experience/show.

But in my opinion, the standard should be just that–experience and show, not the Coaster Enthusiast's typical litany of "better coasters" from around the world. If Disney is wanting to use brakes to, slow the train in order to create a beat for riders to see set pieces or better experience an effect, that's not necessarily a failure simply because "Mako and Steel Dragon..."

In other words, it's not that Disney uses brakes to slow the train mid-ride that's the problem. It's how the use of brakes affect the show/experience. To me, the standard is what Disney could have done, not what Six Flags does.

lazyboy97o

I agree! A heavy-handed use of brakes can be annoying and distract from the experience/show.

But in my opinion, the standard should be just that–experience and show, not the Coaster Enthusiast's typical litany of "better coasters" from around the world. If Disney is wanting to use brakes to, slow the train in order to create a beat for riders to see set pieces or better experience an effect, that's not necessarily a failure simply because "Mako and Steel Dragon..."

In other words, it's not that Disney uses brakes to slow the train mid-ride that's the problem. It's how the use of brakes affect the show/experience. To me, the standard is what Disney could have done, not what Six Flags does.
TRON Lightcycle Power Run, despite its cost, is not much more than a roller coaster. The re-entry brakes aren’t there for a considered and designed storytelling moment. In this case I think the comparison is apt because it’s the coaster design that is being compared.

_caleb

TRON Lightcycle Power Run, despite its cost, is not much more than a roller coaster. The re-entry brakes aren’t there for a considered and designed storytelling moment. In this case I think the comparison is apt because it’s the coaster design that is being compared.
Yeah, that's fair. I have not ridden TRON, but I've already registered by disappointment with the fact that it seems to be "not much more than a roller coaster."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom