News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

Much of this has been litigated over 800+ pages. I wish you brought pictures since low angles have been scarce to find and I'd be interested to see.

I'm just curious as you mention the back being finished and the front being unfinished. It seemed the front was done in a decorative cladding to be show and the back is just plain blue. Is there a feature back there I haven't seen?
There are many pictures from A-frame balconies throughout the thread, though many seem to insist they are aerial or tower shots for whatever reason.

As for the finishing, the front (facing toward the canopy and the Speedway) is finished with panels in light and dark gray. The right side (facing toward the Contemporary) is finished in the same paneling part of the way and then switches to dark blue. I'm being generous in considering that part finished as well as it isn't quite so obviously a basic warehouse as the left side (facing Storybook Circus). The left side, while still paneled, really exposes that it's a massive box and has completely undisguised downspouts haphazardly set along its surface. Maybe it just feels worse because you get so close to it and it's so plainly visible from Storybook Circus and the train, though.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Guests with a TRON Identity Program reservation are being notified that the experience will not be ready for opening day, April 4th. Guests who had previously held reservations for the experience are being offered a $90 gift certificate and still promised access to the Tomorrowland Launch Depot on opening day."

TomboyJanet

After taking in some comparison aerial shots between Shanghai and Florida's, I can now see why the sightlines might be an issue for some folks around the exit point of the attraction/Storybook circus approach. Shanghai's has an extra show building constructed that houses their sponsor's exhibit space.

View attachment 707426 View attachment 707427

I still think Storybook Circus' view suffers the most but that both sightline issues could probably be fixed with some strategically planted trees. I'll wait to experience it for myself in person, though, before fully judging or saying it's an issue for me, in-person.

That said, for better or worse, the show building is currently "working as intended". While checking wait times yesterday I noticed that Tron's show building isn't hidden from the park's design the way Mansion's and Pirate's are. With it's own art in the app, it's clear Disney knew it would be on full display for Guests and are considering it "part of the façade". At least, for now.

View attachment 707439

Hopefully some kind of sightline fix will come to the Storybook Circus/Barnstormer view featured earlier in this thread as I think it overly dominates that skyline in the same way Guardians' does at EPCOT. Again, all you'd probably need is some strategically placed foliage.

Also, @egg ; Should now be complaining about nearly all attractions at all Disney parks from a visual standpoint? Check the view of the Haunted Mansion and "it's a small world" from the air.

View attachment 707441

I'm not saying there isn't merit in addressing sightline issues where they are particularly egregious on the ground. But taking it to a point where we are starting to over analyze the sightlines of the park(s) from the top of a hotel, planes or even space seems a bit extreme. It can come off like one is actively seeking things to criticize, and therefore to be taken about as seriously as those from the other side who think Disney can do no wrong. That is to say, not very seriously.
At least it's not DCA where you have a building that I guess is on another planet?? dominating the skyline of California. GOD I JUST wish they kept it TOT

ToTBellHop

At least it's not DCA where you have a building that I guess is on another planet?? dominating the skyline of California. GOD I JUST wish they kept it TOT
The fortress was slammed into DCA with such force that there’s a slime oozing from the ground outside the ride. I didn’t honestly have any issue suspending disbelief.

It is pretty ugly, though. But The Collector is not particularly subtle.

Centauri Space Station

Hot take: the tower at DCA is much better looking than its previous incarnation, the guardians coaster at Epcot, or this Tron coaster.
Idk, its pretty ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb throughout the park. Atleast the facades of the latter two look somewhat attractive
36015047725_710799ac84_b.jpeg

tron-lightcycle-run-magic-kingdom-disney-world-1764.jpeg

IMG_5270.jpeg

TomboyJanet

I don’t think it’s ugly, I think even that top picture looks better than the bottom two.
Well the Guardian's ride's building was originally the Energy Pavilion and it was designed to look like a force of energy pushing toward you as well as having all those solar panels powering it on top. Each Pavilion originally was designed based on what they were, Wavey for the seas, Round like a wheel for World of Motion, Organic cell like structure for Wonders of Life, A futuristic Building for Horizons, A World for Spaceship Earth, A greenhouse for Land, and Imagination had fantastical glass pyramids for letting the sky shine in and making you feel like you were in the clouds, until they closed that area off to us peasants. That was the wonder of the original Epcot is that it flowed SO well even better than Magic Kingdom imo. It's a shame we lost that. I miss the 90s and being a kid there. I grew up just in time to appreciate the rides that were closing in front of my eyes. :/.

TomboyJanet

It’s not on another planet, it’s in the park. The story of the attraction is that you’re at the park.
So it's a theme park.......themed to a THEME PARK!!!!???? Fits with The Pier at least. At least the one at Epcot brought back the old Pavilion feel even if it was about a fictional planet it did feel a bit like Horizons showing stuff that we may have in the future like controlled irrigation flow, and different unique ways of powering things.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So it's a theme park.......themed to a THEME PARK!!!!????
Yes, the Guardians' Tower is referenced to be in Disneyland as the Collector shows off his collection to earthlings.

The Guardians' Coaster is in EPCOT as the Xandarians use the theme of an earthling exposition (the putative theme of EPCOT) to show off Xandarian tech.

The Awesome Mix Tape concert that had been happening in the Summers of EPCOT previously were also presented as a Xandarian cultural exchange with earthlings using World Showcase as an opportunity to share cultures.

In EPCOT's Soarin', you land in EPCOT.

Of course, many of the old Studio attractions were also presented as happening in Disney's Studios' lot.

Casper Gutman

Hot take = bad take
Nah, this is entirely correct - and I’ll admit, it shocked me. But GotG in Cal Adventure is a better ride, better themed, and a much better representation of the featured IP then Rewind or Tron. It’s not as good as WDW’s Tower, of course, but it’s a very impressive make-over and very clearly the second best Marvel ride in the world (a distant second, but still a strong one).

No Name

Nah, this is entirely correct - and I’ll admit, it shocked me. But GotG in Cal Adventure is a better ride, better themed, and a much better representation of the featured IP than Rewind or Tron. It’s not as good as WDW’s Tower, of course, but it’s a very impressive make-over and very clearly the second best Marvel ride in the world (a distant second, but still a strong one).
Oh I was just comparing how the outside looks, but I agree the ride itself is better too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom