News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Todays exit update (Incase it’s changed since yesterday…)

3DD2BE71-7867-4063-81F5-225C86389710.jpeg

G00fyDad

Tron: Lightcycle run at Walt Disney World is going to be open next year! It is a rumor or confirmed by Disney?:confused:
Confirmed by Disney only as far as being announced at D23. And even then it was pretty vague. We just know that it's going to open sometime in Spring of 2023. That's as far as they were willing to commit. After all, it has taken them 25 years to get this far with the attraction.

Fox&Hound

So, before Guardians opened, many felt like it belonged better in MK and Tron would be a better fit at EPCOT. I have not ridden either, but for those who have, would you agree they should have been switched? People complain about the angle you view Tron not being right, but that would have been solved in EPCOT. People complain it is too similar to Space Mountain, again, also fixed with it being in EPCOT. Did the redo of Test Track mess things up badly and that is why they are in the parks they are? Or, are they appropriately placed? Just curious your thoughts...

co10064

Premium Member
So, before Guardians opened, many felt like it belonged better in MK and Tron would be a better fit at EPCOT. I have not ridden either, but for those who have, would you agree they should have been switched? People complain about the angle you view Tron not being right, but that would have been solved in EPCOT. People complain it is too similar to Space Mountain, again, also fixed with it being in EPCOT. Did the redo of Test Track mess things up badly and that is why they are in the parks they are? Or, are they appropriately placed? Just curious your thoughts...
Without having ridden TRON in Shanghai I would personally say it's a bit of a toss up—although I do think if they were dead set on the concepts for these rides (and they were built exactly as they are today), Disney did make the correct decision in their respective placements.

Yes, TRON was meant to be Shanghai's Space Mountain, but GotG:CR is arguably more "Space Mountainy" than TRON is and would feel even more redundant next to Space Mountain.

The TRON IP would probably make more sense in EPCOT than Guardians does, however the visual asthetics of TRON are very similar to Test Track. Plus if you consider that both TRON and Test Track will close to lightning, it makes more sense to have Guardians (fully enclosed) next to Test Track.

Finally, although the Guardians storyline certainly feels forced, I'm not sure they would have even made an attempt to connect TRON to the themes of EPCOT like they did with Guardians.

James Alucobond

I think TRON was really only ever more attractive to folks because the canopy meshes somewhat decently with EPCOT, plus TRON as an IP leans at least slightly more in the science fiction direction than the clear science fantasy realm of Guardians, even if both are ridiculous.

However, I would argue that they at least had the opportunity to do a better job with Guardians in EPCOT since they were starting from scratch. TRON was a clone designed with none of the EPCOT ethos in mind, so it never would have felt like a complete pavilion. There are many things I would have done differently with Guardians, but at least there’s some pretense of a complete pavilion there. Even if you don’t like Cosmic Rewind, there’s room to fantasize about potential overlays, whereas TRON would have forever been a 1.5 minute coaster and nothing else.

JD80

Guardians is fine at Epcot - the pre-show is cute and fun.

Tron is fine at MK. I like the aesthetic and if the rest of Tomorrowland took after that eventually, it would be a fun land full of neon colors and a clean sleek look.

I don't think the view of Tron would really have fit well at Epcot either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom