News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Anyone think they made a mistake branding this as Tron? I believe this was announced when they were still planning the Tron sequel, which they aren't anymore.

That was true when they built the original in China, but by the time they announced/planned the ride in MK, the additional sequel was long cancelled (though I guess you could argue it's more in "development hell" and still being kicked around).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
More TRON photos from today

Tron_Full_48181.jpg

OrlandoRising

Anyone think they made a mistake branding this as Tron? I believe this was announced when they were still planning the Tron sequel, which they aren't anymore.

I'm surprised they didn't do a cheap alter and make it Buzz Light-year. Slap some decals and vinyls around. Change the projections content.

Didn't you hear how Space Mountain is totally becoming Lightyear-themed? /s

I don't think it's a mistake because Tron just works as an aesthetic without knowing anything about the films.

Dan Deesnee

Didn't you hear how Space Mountain is totally becoming Lightyear-themed? /s

I don't think it's a mistake because Tron just works as an aesthetic without knowing anything about the films.

Oh I agree. My comments were more about the current "more IP everywhere!" attitude Disney has. And yes Tron is an IP but it can't compare to the popularity of Toy Story.

IMDREW

They’re developing a Space Mountain movie, I think that would mean the ride is safe from any other IP integration. With their goal it being its own IP.

yensidtlaw1969

They’re developing a Space Mountain movie, I think that would mean the ride is safe from any other IP integration. With their goal it being its own IP.
Kinda stunning to think that after almost 50 years of headliner-status at Walt Disney World and Disneyland the company could think of Space Mountain as anything but its own IP.

Space Mountain has a bigger cultural footprint than most of the movies the studio has produced.

disneyfireman

I'm surprised they didn't do a cheap alter and make it Buzz Light-year. Slap some decals and vinyls around. Change the projections content.
Tron is a classic movie...both of them..but the original is cult classic. This is one of Disneys BEST decisions theming a ride. 110% Tomorrowland. Its brilliant....unlike the splash decision..which clearly was made by another person with no brain.

LittleBuford

If someone hasn't seen Tron...they need to. Brilliant movie. Especially the first one.
I watched it for the first time last year and found it extremely tedious. But cult movies tend to be divisive, so I wasn’t too surprised that I didn’t like it. I still think it makes a very cool theme for a Tomorrowland ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If someone hasn't seen Tron...they need to. Brilliant movie. Especially the first one.

I watched it for the first time last year and found it extremely tedious. But cult movies tend to be divisive, so I wasn’t too surprised that I didn’t like it. I still think it makes a very cool theme for a Tomorrowland ride.
The first movie can be an acquired taste although it was groundbreaking in 1982. The second one is easier to watch with its gorgeous visuals and amazing audio. Both are favourites. Even after 40 years they just keep on giving. They inspired so much and so many. Something to give thanks for.

LittleBuford

The first movie can be an acquired taste although it was groundbreaking in 1982.
Oh, I could definitely recognise its originality. Visually, it was very impressive, and I’m glad I watched it for that reason alone. I just found the plot extremely boring, to the point where I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again. I certainly understand why it appeals to others, though.

Br0ckford

The first movie can be an acquired taste although it was groundbreaking in 1982. The second one is easier to watch with its gorgeous visuals and amazing audio. Both are favourites. Even after 40 years they just keep on giving. They inspired so much and so many. Something to give thanks for.
Agreed. I loved the first movie. Tried to watch it with my son when the sequel came out. He was kinda bored by it. Once we saw the sequel he wanted to watch the original again. He enjoyed much more as he wanted to see the back story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom