News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

SplashJacket

What what?!

I'm definitely not a coaster guy, not even close but I know coaster guys and what they want.. this ain't it
People want different things in coasters.

I would consider myself a coaster enthusiast.

If you’re saying a ride like Steel Vengeance is the world’s greatest, Guardians probably isn’t going to top it, or get anywhere near, in all likelihood.

But in the category of themed coasters, a few stand out as legitimate contenders.

Taron in Phantasialand gets a lot of attention, VelociCoaster, obviously, and a few others, but there aren’t that many killer coasters that are also themed.

Before riding Guardians, I would’ve told you VelociCoaster is my favorite all-around coaster, thrills and theming factored in, while Hagrid’s was my favorite themed coaster. Coincidentally, the coasters are right next door to each other, but unlike many other coaster enthusiasts, I don’t have a list totaling all the coasters I’ve ridden, but if I had to guess, it would be well over a 100 (which is relatively low in the community).

Guardians is tricky, because I still think VelociCoaster tops it (it’s amazing such a high thrill ride can fit into a world-class theme park), but I can legitimately see why it would be someone’s favorite.

In terms of indoor coasters, there’s really not much that holds a candle to it. Space Mountain in Paris is really the only coaster that comes to mind, but it’s leagues lower.

Everyone prioritizes different things when it comes to coasters, so there will never be a definitive best in the world coaster, but I think Guardians will be for a lot of people. Not likely hardcore coaster enthusiasts, but it’s really a fantastic ride.

It’s not a fantastic B&M giga like Fury 325 at Carowinds or a looping spinning coaster like Time Traveler, but it doesn’t need to be. It doesn’t hug a sweeping landscape like Lightning Rod or try to eject you to space like El Toro, but it doesn’t have to.

Guardians excels tremendously well in its desired category. I would easily say it’s the best indoor coaster in the world (I haven’t ridden all of them, obviously, but I’ve been on enough to know Guardians stands out).

We believe Guardians is the longest indoor coaster in the world. Before you even ride it, it has a world-record associated with it (obviously, that doesn’t inherently produce quality, but regardless).

I would laugh myself off the stage if I said Tron was a contender to be the world’s best coaster, because I’d argue the ride experience in Paris’s Space Mountain (which opened 20 years prior, is superior).

Tron doesn’t win any medals for speed, length, launch acceleration, or really anything else I can think of. The seating configuration and aesthetics combine to make a great ride, but it’s hardly the best in the world.

Guardians kills everything in its category (from my point of view), so if that type of coaster is your cup of tea, I can easily see it being the best in the world (to you).

The only thing that really matters when it comes to being a bear in the world contender, is if you strapped 1000 people on every coaster in the world, would someone say it’s the best.

There’s no way anyone is saying Barnstormer or Great American Scream Machine (colloquially referred to as 30 years of back pain) would be anyones favorite. Staying in those parks, I don’t think anyone would say Space Mountain or Twisted Cylone are the best in the world either. Space is still a very solid ride, but there are rides that do what it achieves better. Likewise for Twisted Cylone, an extremely solid RMC, but when there’s rides like Steel Vengeance or even Wicked Cyclone, how would a shorter (in length and height) be greater (you could argue the other rides are too intense, but Twisted Cyclone already packs a punch, it’s just very short)?

I can easily see Guardians as being picked. Obviously, if you increase the sample size to infinity, every coaster in the world would get picked eventually, but rides like Taron, Steel Vengeance, VelociCoaster, and Guardians would get a disproportionate amount of love.

I 100% agree though, for the overwhelming majority of coaster enthusiasts (who gravitate towards satisfying intense thrills) Guardians would not top their lists, but for others, Guardians takes the cake.

Obviously, calling something the best in the world, is entirely subjective. It isn’t objective like calling Kingda Ka the tallest coaster in the world, so you can feasibly make an argument for any coaster, I just think the argument for Guardians is quite strong and will resonate with a lot of people. It excels at what it’s trying to accomplish, and excels in its category of coaster.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Yeah no, Universal has a coaster that enters that discussion, Sea World Adventure Parks own a few, but Disney does not.
Mostly addressed this in my previous post, but a ride like Mako is a great example. I think Mako is an absolutely fantastic ride, but with Fury 325 a couple states over, I wouldn’t consider it best in the world.

It’s an elite B&M hypercoaster, so I could see a valid argument, but there’s strong competition in its category, so even if hypercoasters are your favorite category of coasters, if you rode every one of them in the world, I think you’d likely come out with a different favorite (though Mako is a strong contender).

Guardians, on the other hand, to me, just outclasses all coasters in its category by a significant margin. So if indoor coasters are your cup of tea, you could easily crown Guardians best in the world.

Touchdown

Mostly addressed this in my previous post, but a ride like Mako is a great example. I think Mako is an absolutely fantastic ride, but with Fury 325 a couple states over, I wouldn’t consider it best in the world.

It’s an elite B&M hypercoaster, so I could see a valid argument, but there’s strong competition in its category, so even if hypercoasters are your favorite category of coasters, if you rode every one of them in the world, I think you’d likely come out with a different favorite (though Mako is a strong contender).

Guardians, on the other hand, to me, just outclasses all coasters in its category by a significant margin. So if indoor coasters are your cup of tea, you could easily crown Guardians best in the world.
I was thinking more of coasters at the Busch parks. As for best indoor coaster, the Nick Universe Loopers outclass Guardians anyday but I don’t get that pedantic, there are two coaster types steel and wood.

SplashJacket

I was thinking more of coasters at the Busch parks. As for best indoor coaster, the Nick Universe Loopers outclass Guardians anyday but I don’t get that pedantic, there are two coaster types steel and wood.
I think the difference between the Nickelodeon coasters (which I’ve heard shockingly high things from) and a ride like Space Mountain or Space Fantasy should be immediately obvious. The Nickelodeon coasters are more climate controlled (in my view) than indoor. The indoor aspect doesn’t really add anything.

As for there only be two types of coasters, I would have to disagree.

For one, there’s a huge difference between I-box steel track and tubular steel. Additionally, there are hybrid coasters, single-rail coasters, suspended, inverted, dive, hyper, spinning, floor less, launch, etc.

TrainsOfDisney

Yes, but it’s RNRC. More thrills generally trend towards more praise by the coaster community, but correlation does not equal causation. Rip-Ride at Universal is thrilling, but widely trashed on within the community.
Rip-Ride is a terrible coaster. Lol. RNRC is pretty good in my opinion.

If we are only talking indoor coasters anyone ever ride Flight of Fear at kings dominion / island? Now THAT is an indoor coaster.

TwilightZone

I decided to pull out the Ol Wikipedia:

Shanghai Disneyland
construction on the castle begins June 29, 2013 - Shanghai opens June 16, 2016
A rough 3 year construction time for tron

Magic Kingdom
December 7 2018 tron construction begins - July 3rd 2022 tron is still under construction

This shouldn't have taken more than 2 years

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I decided to pull out the Ol Wikipedia:

Shanghai Disneyland
construction on the castle begins June 29, 2013 - Shanghai opens June 16, 2016
A rough 3 year construction time for tron

Magic Kingdom
December 7 2018 tron construction begins - July 3rd 2022 tron is still under construction

This shouldn't have taken more than 2 years
Mate, BTM took 20 months. Splash 26 months. Let’s remember groundwork was underway on Tron in summer 2018 for comparison.

Touchdown

I think the difference between the Nickelodeon coasters (which I’ve heard shockingly high things from) and a ride like Space Mountain or Space Fantasy should be immediately obvious. The Nickelodeon coasters are more climate controlled (in my view) than indoor. The indoor aspect doesn’t really add anything.

As for there only be two types of coasters, I would have to disagree.

For one, there’s a huge difference between I-box steel track and tubular steel. Additionally, there are hybrid coasters, single-rail coasters, suspended, inverted, dive, hyper, spinning, floor less, launch, etc.
Hey you do you. Coaster enthusiasts pretty much don’t argue over how others rank their coasters, but slicing and dicing them into dozens of categories is just too much for me. RMCs with steel I box tracks are steel coasters, those with wooden tracks are wooden coasters. I personally like just having 2 top ten lists, which for a lot of enthusiasts is 1 too many. But if you do slice and dice you need to qualify it. Guardians, while very fun, is not remotely as good as rides like Veliciocoaster, Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, SROS NE, etc.

SplashJacket

Hey you do you. Coaster enthusiasts pretty much don’t argue over how others rank their coasters, but slicing and dicing them into dozens of categories is just too much for me. RMCs with steel I box tracks are steel coasters, those with wooden tracks are wooden coasters. I personally like just having 2 top ten lists, which for a lot of enthusiasts is 1 too many. But if you do slice and dice you need to qualify it. Guardians, while very fun, is not remotely as good as rides like Veliciocoaster, Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, SROS NE, etc.
I’m not arguing to subdivide coaster rankings into dozens of different categories.

What I’m saying is coasters come in many different styles and people gravitate and prefer those different styles. If you prefer one type of coaster over the others, the best of that coaster type could be the world’s best coaster to you.

Guardians could very reasonably be the best in the world in its specific style, and therefore, could be the overall best coaster in the world to a lot of people who prefer that style.

Jrb1979

I’m not arguing to subdivide coaster rankings into dozens of different categories.

What I’m saying is coasters come in many different styles and people gravitate and prefer those different styles. If you prefer one type of coaster over the others, the best of that coaster type could be the world’s best coaster to you.

Guardians could very reasonably be the best in the world in its specific style, and therefore, could be the overall best coaster in the world to a lot of people who prefer that style.
Since we are getting into this discussion IMO people that believe Guardians is the best coaster probably don't visit other parks much or don't do big coasters. For me if it lacks high G forces it's just a fun coaster but not work a bunch of re-rides.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since we are getting into this discussion IMO people that believe Guardians is the best coaster probably don't visit other parks much or don't do big coasters. For me if it lacks high G forces it's just a fun coaster but not work a bunch of re-rides.
Thank-you for correcting what people like!!

Touchdown

Let me know when Guardians gets on a best coasters in the world list or even one in America. It’s not even in the top 5 in Orlando. Heck personally it’s not even the best indoor roller coaster in Orlando (The Mummy.). It is however the best roller coaster to ever been built in Epcot.

It’s also not going to win the Golden Ticket for best new coaster this year either. Your statements go against the general concencus of the enthusiast community. That’s fine for you to have that opinion but it’s not right to extrapolate it out that it’s a majority consensus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom